News Article: Expansion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I'd assume 2 relocates (Phoenix to Seattle and Florida to Quebec) with new Vegas and Toronto rosters.

Total of 32 - split 16 +6 in 2X8 divisions. Having 34 teams keep the schedule out of balance; 32 is good.

POs -
5 plays 2; 3 plays 4; best of 5
1 seed enters the mix; best of 5
Best of 7 after that

all the way to the bank

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Another Toronto team would be sweet.

They would suck about the same xD and Toronto fans could hate each other.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I wonder....maybe this is the reason Boro got that new contract? To give him, as a defenseman, enough NHL games under his belt so that we have some 'expendable' defensemen with enough games played on the unprotected list?

I mean, since this supposed expansion is in another 2 years, it give enough time to give some guys enough games to either play themselves onto the core or expose them without losing our best kids?

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013
Another Toronto team would be sweet.

They would suck about the same xD and Toronto fans could hate each other.

Yes. No matter how terrible the teams perform, both arenas would probably be packed on a regular basis, making Toronto an ideal option for an expansion team (expansion money + projected performance level of an expansion team).

Daly has come out and denied the rumors since this morning, so at this point, we're merely just speculating. I'm sort of happy in a way - 34 teams sounds excessive. Two of these teams should come about through relocation.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah 34 is too much and playoff ranks get murky. Sounds like a wild card scenario.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Needs to be evenly divided...16-8-4-2. Trying 20 doesn't work...20-10-5....how do you get to the next round?

Nvm, I though a free pass system for division winners would work, but i dont think it would.

heres a 20 team playoff bracket I found on google

20-seeded-fillable-single-elimination.jpg

let teams

be division winners

be wild cards.

Last edited:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I'd assume 2 relocates (Phoenix to Seattle and Florida to Quebec) with new Vegas and Toronto rosters.

Total of 32 - split 16 +6 in 2X8 divisions. Having 34 teams keep the schedule out of balance; 32 is good.

POs -
Best of 7 after that

all the way to the bank

I was kind of thinking this as well but i am guessing the two expansion franchises would be in Canada to maximize on the expansion fee (Saw the figure of 1.2b being thrown around which sadly seems light for 4 new franchises, i could however see people in Canada paying close to 600 mil per). And the two re-located franchises would go to the US to compete quicker.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

POs -
Best of 7 after that

all the way to the bank

I agree that 32 is more convenient for establishing equal size conferences and sub divisions.

Regarding Toronto, i think the league sees that as the major money-maker for expansion; however, the Leafs would probably demand compensation for loss of their market territory.

New franchises, rather than moves of existing franchises would also be better for expansion revenues.

Going to 36 teams would be even better than 32 or 34 since it is divisible twice by 2 meaning 36/2= 18 and 18/2=9 which would mean easier scheduling, etc. :)

Eco

Oct 7, 2013
QC
20 teams, in my opinion, puts even less prestige on the regular season. Not enough glamour goes into winning the league anymore, which to me, is more impressive than winning the playoffs.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
A few misconceptions so far in this thread:

Does anyone know for certain if expansion fees are actually included in HRR? I know it was a sticking point during the last lockout. If they aren't, $1.4 billion in expansion fees basically means $46.7 million dollars in Eugene's pocket.

Secondly, even IF expansion fees are included in HRR and there's a corresponding increase in the cap, it will only eat up 50% of the expansion fees. i.e. Eugene will get a paycheck for $46.7 million, and will only be obligated to spend half of that, so there's still a net positive for the team.

Furthermore, new markets will increase overall league revenue, however they are extremely unlikely to increase the cap. In order for them to have a positive effect on the cap, the average revenue of those new markets would need to be higher than the league average - extremely unlikely for a new market. They will likely take 10+ years of growth and market penetration to have revenues that high. The average revenue in the league will decrease, and therefore the cap will decrease (or rather, the lower revenues of new teams will offset the growth in established markets, thereby lowering the cap growth)

Expansion means nothing but good things for the Sens. Now relocation, i.e. Florida to Quebec, or Phoenix to Seattle - a poor market to a potentially huge market - that would have a positive effect on the cap, and hurt the sens financial position.

Hopefully, Eugene uses the cash influx to pay down the debt on the sens, or even better, refinance with more favourable terms. This would have a huge year to year improvement on our bottom line, and could free up an additional $5-10 million for salary a year.
Why you trying to make it so simple?

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
If you are a fan of the NHL you should be hoping for more American expansion. There's a reason why the league is the strongest it's ever been financially. I'll give you a hint it has nothing to do with Canada.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Ideal scenario for me: Expand to Seattle and Toronto, move Phoenix to Portland and then move Florida to Quebec
15 teams in the west and 17 in the east, could move either Detroit or Columbus back to the west to even it out if desired.

Last edited:

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation

POs -
Best of 7 after that

all the way to the bank

Agreed, I would say it's far more likely you get two teams relocated. I'd say maybe Florida and Phoenix get relocated, for arguments sake to Vegas and Seattle. Then you get two new teams in the East, Quebec and Toronto/Hamilton/Kitchener. Then you could look to move Columbus back to the West since they are not in the eastern time zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad