Expansion Draft: who do you leave unprotected?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Cause getting rid of Emelin's contract is music to my ears. I'd prefer Bergevin trading him though instead.

Gonchar has been great for us. If we can't bring in another defenseman, I'd prefer Beaulieu continues to play with Gonchar.

Regardless of what you think about Emelin as a player, protecting Gonchar to lose Emelin for nothing would just be awful asset management.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Regardless of what you think about Emelin as a player, protecting Gonchar to lose Emelin for nothing would just be awful asset management.

Normally I'd agree here but sometimes getting rid of an albatross for free is good asset management. Remember, this would be in a while from now, if by then our d is set without Emelin doing anything to offload that contract would be genius. If you can't even get a 7th for the guy.... Not saying thats the case but it could be by the time there is an expansion.

Imo he isn't even worth more than 2.5-3 when he's playing his best and I thought paying a limited physical d longterm 4m per was a dumb decision even when emelin was playing better.

People scoffed at the gorges contract but he was much better. It isn't like Emelin even puts up offense.

mattef

consider the following...
May 12, 2014
Montreal, QC
I see no reason to keep Emelin. We need a spot for Emelin. Also, I keep Nygren over Dietz

Nygren is a 2nd year pro and would not need to be protected

The SEL doesn't count?

IIRC, in order to be eligible for a selection, the players had to have played a minimum of NHL games (not pro years) within the last 2 years. Otherwise, mostly all of your prospects would've been available to pick.

Guys like Pateryn, Nygren, Dietz, De La Rose and maybe even Andrighetto (depending on the game limit) wouldn't need to be protected.

But as others have said, the exact rules change everytime

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Normally I'd agree here but sometimes getting rid of an albatross for free is good asset management. Remember, this would be in a while from now, if by then our d is set without Emelin doing anything to offload that contract would be genius. If you can't even get a 7th for the guy.... Not saying thats the case but it could be by the time there is an expansion.

Imo he isn't even worth more than 2.5-3 when he's playing his best and I thought paying a limited physical d longterm 4m per was a dumb decision even when emelin was playing better.

People scoffed at the gorges contract but he was much better. It isn't like Emelin even puts up offense.

Emelin's contract is not great, but I don't think it's so awful to the point where we would have give him away for free. And it's not like we're jammed against the cap. There's no real desperate urge to get out from under his contract, I don't think.

And, like you said, we would have to find someone somewhere to replace his minutes, which is easier said than done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad