Expansion Draft 2017

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
If the draft goes ahead under these agreed upon rules:

Each existing team will be allowed to protect one goalie, seven forwards, and three defensemen, or one goalie and eight skaters in total ahead of a draft. Players in their first or second years in the pros (including time spent in the AHL) will be exempt. There's been no decision yet on the status of players who have no-movement clauses.

Who do the Canucks protect.

We are safe in goal. Demko will have only one year pro.

On D we are going to lose one of Tryamkin Tanev Hutton Gudbranson and Edler. Which 3 do you protect?

On forward we can protect 7. Baertschi Sedins Sutter Virtanen Horvat and Gaunce. I suspect Etem and Granlund would not be protected, and whoever we draft this year is not eligible.

Sadly Our choice is only complicated by the McCann trade.

And NMC could be interesting. If its just one team expansion, we can only loose one player.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Hutton will be a second year player, so he's exempt.

The Canucks have it pretty easy.

Sedin
Sedin
Hansen
Horvat
Sutter
Baertschi
Gaunce or Granlund

Edler
Tanev
Gudbranson

Markstrom

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Will be very interesting to see how this is handled.

In goal I would protect Markstrom as Demko won't be eligible to be exposed.

On defense my 3 would be Hutton (if he needs to be protected), Tanev, and either Tryamkin or Edler. I guess we're gonna lose Gudbranson who we just paid out the ass for. Or we lose Edler for nothing which would be funny too.

Up front I wouldn't protect Sutter. Granlund and Etem shouldn't even get protection consideration either. My 7 would be Sedin, Sedin, Horvat, Baertschi, Gaunce, Virtanen (if he needs to be protected), and Hansen.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Sedin
Sedin
Hansen
Horvat
Sutter
Baertschi
Gaunce or Granlund

Edler
Tanev
Gudbranson

Markstrom

I would hope to use the expansion draft to get rid of a bad contract like Sutter's.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The rules will have to be fleshed out a bit. Hutton played some AHL games so I'm not sure if he's a third year pro this year or second year pro. Given his age when he signed I'd say he is likely a third year pro this upcoming season. He signed a 3 year ELC I believe and two of those years are gone. Unless he signed a two-year ELC and a professional contract with Utica for his time at the end of the season. Either way i still think he is likely considered a third year pro when the expansion draft comes next summer.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Unless we're forced to protect NTC/NMC contracts

Although that might be tricky with teams that have a good number of them hence why it's probably up in the air

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
The rules will have to be fleshed out a bit. Hutton played some AHL games so I'm not sure if he's a third year pro this year or second year pro. Given his age when he signed I'd say he is likely a third year pro this upcoming season. He signed a 3 year ELC I believe and two of those years are gone. Unless he signed a two-year ELC and a professional contract with Utica for his time at the end of the season. Either way i still think he is likely considered a third year pro when the expansion draft comes next summer.

He was on a try out with Utica. I can't see that counting as a season.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

That's what I don't know. He was 21 a the time so I don't know if he gets any buffer. 1 game may mean a professional season.

Again the rules need to be fleshed out in how they determine who is a two year player and who isn't. I don't think we've seen any of that yet.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
For various reasons that are both good (youth) and bad (player quality), the expansion draft won't hurt the team at all if the proposed rule rumors are true. I actually don't think there is anything to discuss at all.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Sedin
Sedin
Hansen
Horvat
Sutter
Baertschi
Gaunce or Granlund

Edler
Tanev
Gudbranson

Markstrom

Pretty much. I suspect they'll protect 'foundational' Dorsett but otherwise that's how it should work out assuming the rules we've heard are correct.

Hutton was on a PTO in Utica. I don't think that will count, and I'm reasonably sure it didn't count in the last round of expansion.

I'd be surprised if Tryamkin or Hutton needed to be protected.

If they do, it will make this Gudbranson deal monumentally stupid, but I don't think that will be the case.

The best part of all of this is hearing the reports of how most NHL teams are preparing their rosters in advance of the expansion draft but in our case Benning came and flat-out said they've done no planning because nothing has been announced. :laugh:

Idiot.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Hutton played 1 game at the AHL Level on a PTO

His contract started last year. He will be a second year Pro

So he is ok .

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
If NMC's are exempt, this gets really easy for the Canucks.

I think JB will protect (if NMC's are exempt):

Baertschi
Horvat
Hansen
Granlund
Dorsett
Sutter
Rodin

Tanev
Edler
Gudbranson
(Assuming Hutton is exempt)

Markstrom

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
NMCs won't be exempt, they will be forced to be protected.

Then I think he would leave Rodin and Granlund exposed to protect the Sedins. He should leave Dorsett unprotected, no one is taking that contract anyway, but I think JB will be stubborn.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Hutton was on a PTO in Utica. I don't think that will count, and I'm reasonably sure it didn't count in the last round of expansion.

I'd be surprised if Tryamkin or Hutton needed to be protected.

If they do, it will make this Gudbranson deal monumentally stupid, but I don't think that will be the case.

I think at this point it's pretty clear they want more talent on the table than in previous expansion drafts so I don't think that really matters.

Again, i don't know what the rule will be. As far as I know none of us do. For the purposes of this discussion one likely needs a "if Hutton has to be protected" and "if not" lists.

I assume Benning is going to try to sign a relatively big name UFA forward that may need to be protected if he's successful.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
We also don't know for sure that this expansion is even going to happen.

The Oakland Raiders are looking at Las Vegas right now. If they are serious about moving to Nevada, I think that really throws a wrench in the expansion plans of the NHL. Can Las Vegas suddenly support two big-4 league teams?

As for Quebec City, the $CDN cratered since they started their process. If Vegas isn't coming into the league, will Bettman expand by one team only? I don't think so.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think at this point it's pretty clear they want more talent on the table than in previous expansion drafts so I don't think that really matters.

Again, i don't know what the rule will be. As far as I know none of us do. For the purposes of this discussion one likely needs a "if Hutton has to be protected" and "if not" lists.

I assume Benning is going to try to sign a relatively big name UFA forward that may need to be protected if he's successful.

I'd be shocked if they penalized teams for giving players a couple games at the end of a season on a PTO. It's just a total random thing that some guys get eliminated from their junior/college playoffs a bit earlier and you can get them some extra games, and it would be ridiculous if there were significant roster impacts from it years later. Virtanen would need protection as well, in that case.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Can't remember who said it but I heard on 1040 that, at the GM meetings, the general concept was that NMCs would require protection whereas NTCs would not though it hadn't been finalized yet.
With that in mind and assuming Hutton is exempt:

Sedin
Sedin
Hansen
Horvat
Sutter
Baertschi
Gaunce

Edler
Tanev
Gudbranson

Markstrom

Seems about right. The Canucks do have it easy relative to other teams because of their lack of veteran depth. The only one I'd be concerned at all about losing is Tryamkin.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
So Tryamkin doesn't count right? He played like 10-15 games this year.

My understanding is that exemption only covers two years or less of pro hockey, regardless of league. Under this scenario Tryamkin would not be exempt.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

Sedin
Sedin
Hansen
Horvat
Sutter
Baertschi
Gaunce or Granlund

Edler
Tanev
Gudbranson

Markstrom

Hutton played in the AHL before this year. He will be a third year pro and is not exempt.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

It wasn't a tryout. We signed him on March 16th, 2015. Any AHL games played afterwards count as pro hockey experience. He will have to be protected. Someone should tell Benning, he probably doesn't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad