Examples Needed: Played Draft Year as Winger - Ended Up NHL Center

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Sam Cosentino was on NHL Draft Class Podcast saying that he feels Tij Iginla will move to Center in Kelowna next season and will be an NHL center. Many seem to think that Leo Carlsson will be an NHL center despite playing winger his entire draft season.

I’m wondering what examples we can find of kids playing winger their whole draft year but ending up centers full time eventually. Who can we come up with?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
hockeyprospects.com and NHL central scouting also project Iginla as a center

I think he's going top 5 on draft night

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I know this won't register for much for non-Habs fans but Florian Xhekaj played his D-year in the OHL as a Wing but has blown up as a C since then. He did play as a Centre before juniors.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
You could play center, sure, but I think you have to think about if your maximizing the player and the players around him that way.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think it's very uncommon for North American prospects but not all that uncommon for Europeans drafted out of Europe's pro leagues. Prospect development isn't the primary goal of European pro teams and they're tough to crack so many prospects have to move to the wing. Simon Zether is a good example this year. Very much a Centerman and projected to play C in the NHL as well but played Wing for SHL Rögle this season.

Regarding Iginla I'm sceptical. I'm sure there have been cases of Wingers getting moved to C after their draft season but they're rare. Kelowna had everything but a Center logjam last season. Still Mallette opted to keep Iginla on the Wing all season long. So unless you think that Mallette is a grade a moron Iginla probably just doesn't project to be a Center. I like Iginla as a prospect but I gotta say I have my doubts as well.

Reactions: Guttersniped

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Cutter Gauthier has a shot I guess.
Played a quite a bit of C in his draft year.

I think it's very uncommon for North American prospects but not all that uncommon for Europeans drafted out of Europe's pro leagues. Prospect development isn't the primary goal of European pro teams and they're tough to crack so many prospects have to move to the wing. Simon Zether is a good example this year. Very much a Centerman and projected to play C in the NHL as well but played Wing for SHL Rögle this season.

Regarding Iginla I'm sceptical. I'm sure there have been cases of Wingers getting moved to C after their draft season but they're rare. Kelowna had everything but a Center logjam last season. Still Mallette opted to keep Iginla on the Wing all season long. So unless you think that Mallette is a grade a moron Iginla probably just doesn't project to be a Center. I like Iginla as a prospect but I gotta say I have my doubts as well.
Cosentino said that Iginla and Mallette agreed to the switch prior to the season with the plan that Iginla would go back to C the next season.

Caser

RUSProspects @ gmail. com
May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
Sam Cosentino was on NHL Draft Class Podcast saying that he feels Tij Iginla will move to Center in Kelowna next season and will be an NHL center. Many seem to think that Leo Carlsson will be an NHL center despite playing winger his entire draft season.

I’m wondering what examples we can find of kids playing winger their whole draft year but ending up centers full time eventually. Who can we come up with?
Just in case, Demidov also mentioned he wouldn't mind to be a full-time center in the future.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Played a quite a bit of C in his draft year.

Cosentino said that Iginla and Mallette agreed to the switch prior to the season with the plan that Iginla would go back to C the next season.
I respect Cosentino's opinion but it kinda goes without saying that Mallette is willing to try Iginla at C now that his overager C (and lone C with some kind of a scoring touch) is gone.

That doesn't mean he's convinced that Iginla is a better C than W. If he was he'd have played or at the very least tried him at C last season already. I'd somewhat understand it in case of a C logjam but Kelowna might have had the worst Center depth of all playoff teams leaguewide.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think it's very uncommon for North American prospects but not all that uncommon for Europeans drafted out of Europe's pro leagues. Prospect development isn't the primary goal of European pro teams and they're tough to crack so many prospects have to move to the wing.

And they are less likely to share the North American idea that the best forwards should play center.

Certainly in Russia there's no concept of that.

Reactions: Hinterland

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Laine was tried at centre. I don't think it lasted because of his off ice issues, but I may be mistaken.

Was Giroux drafted as a centre?

Edit: It looks like he was listed as RW in junior and AHL.

Last edited:

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
would guess it's not all that uncommon for european kids where a decent amount play in their top pro league. have to imagine it's more common there for a kid who grew up playing c to be pushed out to the wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad