Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Forgot they changed up the titles given Thompson has run forwards his whole career. So turns out mine was the stupid comment.

Even then, Thompson is going to be hired as an NHL HC in the next 2 years so it’s still stupid to be bemoaning him being on staff. He was already being interviewed this offseason for HC jobs.
I was hyped about him too, but his powerplay was awful and the defense wasnt much better.

Reactions: Cas

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I think the players on the team are professional outside of Kane not to mention there's a lot of veterans there that have played together for a while. They respect the team enough to not be irresponsible. Kane not so much and that's as much on the coach to keep those cows from drifting away from the herd as it is anyone else. But I also imagine that the players don't like it and don't like the fact that BB isn't doing anything about it.

It is 100% the coaches fault, Kane obviously should be a professional and take some blame but you cant just look the other way at his transgressions otherwise he will keep doing it, which was my original point, that it wasnt a dont respect the coach thing but a I can just keep doing it thing.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
It is 100% the coaches fault, Kane obviously should be a professional and take some blame but you cant just look the other way at his transgressions otherwise he will keep doing it, which was my original point, that it wasnt a dont respect the coach thing but a I can just keep doing it thing.

Idk I wanted boughner gone last year but many of you liked him

And now he's back for a 3rd year probably

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Going back a few pages i know, but thornton and even pavelski were a level above the rest of the team in something. Pavelski was in mostly work ethic, thornton was obviously skills and ability to play above others.

Couture does not have that kind of leadership abilities because he never been the best player on the team and he will never be the best player on the team. For the type of leader couture wants to be and portrays to the media he has to make damn sure he is giving 200% on the ice game in and game out. But we all know he does not do it enough for him to warrant being the one calling out team mates to the media for bad play (even if deserved).

There are some here who will not agree with the thornton part, but he is a sure fire 1st ballot hall of famer when he retires and that alone demands respect from team mates. He speaks you listen type thing.

These issues between players were probably there, just no one dared bring it into the locker room or affect the on ice play because of the 2 main leaders would not be good with it.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Going back a few pages i know, but thornton and even pavelski were a level above the rest of the team in something. Pavelski was in mostly work ethic, thornton was obviously skills and ability to play above others.

Couture does not have that kind of leadership abilities because he never been the best player on the team and he will never be the best player on the team. For the type of leader couture wants to be and portrays to the media he has to make damn sure he is giving 200% on the ice game in and game out. But we all know he does not do it enough for him to warrant being the one calling out team mates to the media for bad play (even if deserved).

There are some here who will not agree with the thornton part, but he is a sure fire 1st ballot hall of famer when he retires and that alone demands respect from team mates. He speaks you listen type thing.

These issues between players were probably there, just no one dared bring it into the locker room or affect the on ice play because of the 2 main leaders would not be good with it.
Doesn't help the team isn't as good as when those guys were captains. Leadership shouldn't be an issue for this team though, we have tons of guys who have worn letters on their jerseys at all kinds of levels. Hopefully as this younger generation comes in over time a guy like Ferraro will step up and teach them his work ethic.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Couture does not have that kind of leadership abilities because he never been the best player on the team and he will never be the best player on the team.

Perhaps just like like Dustin Brown? But Couture is certainly a better player.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I feel like we’ve argued but agreed on the entire premise. I don’t like BB, never did really and he’s done nothing to endear himself to me. I’d rather he just go away.

Le Grand Quebecois

Jun 6, 2015
Oakland, CA

Thornton had his own leadership flaws, they didn't make Pavelski the captain for no reason. I do agree though, Couture hasn't outwardly shown he's a good captain and given the teams performance and locker room drama. The team could really use a natural leader.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Thornton had his own leadership flaws, they didn't make Pavelski the captain for no reason. I do agree though, Couture hasn't outwardly shown he's a good captain and given the teams performance and locker room drama. The team could really use a natural leader.

Yeah, I think Thornton could be kind of a jerk from all the stories I've heard. I think honestly Pavs was the heart and soul of this team. The young guys looked up to him, the old guys loved him. Joe lead because he was Joe Thornton, but Pavs.. I mean, I don't play for the team and I feel like I'd follow Pavs into war. He's just got that quality.

Couture I have a hard time following into a Bieber concert. He lacks any gravitas. And I think that's kind of all the older guys right now. I can't think of a single vet that makes me think, THAT'S a leader. Ferraro in a few years, probably.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I feel like we’ve argued but agreed on the entire premise. I don’t like BB, never did really and he’s done nothing to endear himself to me. I’d rather he just go away.

Agreed on the premise and on BB, my small argument that it was not because BB was a lame duck or was not respected, that it was deeper and this crappy coach didnt make an attempt to hold Kane accountable

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Yeah, I think Thornton could be kind of a jerk from all the stories I've heard. I think honestly Pavs was the heart and soul of this team. The young guys looked up to him, the old guys loved him. Joe lead because he was Joe Thornton, but Pavs.. I mean, I don't play for the team and I feel like I'd follow Pavs into war. He's just got that quality.

Couture I have a hard time following into a Bieber concert. He lacks any gravitas. And I think that's kind of all the older guys right now. I can't think of a single vet that makes me think, THAT'S a leader. Ferraro in a few years, probably.
I actually got the impression that JT’s loose and sometimes douchey character made it almost a pleasurable experience for players to want to come and play. Couture strikes me as someone that has a book of cliches that he pulls out when he has to give a speech.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Agreed on the premise and on BB, my small argument that it was not because BB was a lame duck or was not respected, that it was deeper and this crappy coach didnt make an attempt to hold Kane accountable
I bet he tried in some way, but like everything else he just sucked at it.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I actually got the impression that JT’s loose and sometimes douchey character made it almost a pleasurable experience for players to want to come and play. Couture strikes me as someone that has a book of cliches that he pulls out when he has to give a speech.

Yeah, there's that story where Clowe broke... Dan Boyle's nose? Someone's nose 'cause tried to punch Joe when Joe was being a dick to him and hit someone else. But I think Joe's the kind of guy you love 15 minutes later. He's just a charming dude and while I'm sure some people couldn't handle his humor, he was probably pretty good at keeping the room together. Honestly, I think Pavs and Joe were really great counterparts. I imagine out of anyone, Pavs could tell Joe to knock it off and he would. They complemented each other well.

I think Couture just isn't a leader. It's not a knock against the guy, but some people just don't have that personality. He can lead in the playoffs, he can be The Guy in big moments, but he's not the guy that people want to rally for.

Reactions: BlueSeal

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
think Couture just isn't a leader. It's not a knock against the guy, but some people just don't have that personality. He can lead in the playoffs, he can be The Guy in big moments, but he's not the
You can’t be a captain and have a punchable face.

Edit: I guess there’s Sidney.

Reactions: Sandisfan

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I'm so into this. Turn the team over to the rookies and see what happens. The old guys can earn their A's back as soon as they can play up to their contract...
Ferraro should absolutely get an A this season. He shows more leadership characteristics than anyone else on the team.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Pavelski felt like an ideal captain. Thornton seems like an Old Boys club captain with his humor, and I believe there were reports of hazing incidents in the past (probably lighthearted but hazing nonetheless). Probably not one you'd want during a youth movement.

Reactions: slocal

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
well said.
Jumbo while maybe a douche at times, had an aura about him that seemed to be fun to be around after you got a bit of hazing, or whatever.
The Burns and Jumbo beard era was just a fun squad

I don't like Couture, i would personally love to see him off the team and go for a tank next year, then re-tool with some acquired assets and picks.
Of course it won't happen but it's just how a feel, i just dont really like this team with him as captain tbh, and would rather suck with someone else wearing it

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
it is Marleau’s destiny to come back and play 2 more seasons with the C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad