HF Habs: Copa America 2024 | Canada vs Chile, Sat. June 29, 8 p.m. | TSN, CTV2, RDS, FOX ||| Euro 2024 (TSN, TSN+, TVA Sports)

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
IMG_0067.jpeg

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Belgium loses 1-0 to Slovakia. 2 disallowed goals for Lukaku. One for offside (by him), one for handball before goal (not by him). He had a lot of chances today.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Largely based on having a lot of quality players, but for whatever reason they have always been less than the sum of their parts.

It's mostly based on international competitions. Since 22', they only lost 4 times in 27 games: twice against Netherlands, once against Morroco (at the WC) and today. Results against other teams change your standings internationally.. but they rarely ever play top10 teams

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It's mostly based on international competitions. Since 22', they only lost 4 times in 27 games: twice against Netherlands, once against Morroco (at the WC) and today. Results against other teams change your standings internationally.. but they rarely ever play top10 teams

They also choke in the big tournaments.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
a shoulder. A shoulder was offside...lol
It's a silly offside rule. The hockey offside rule makes more sense. Soccer is the only team sport that I can think of where it's enough for defenders to push forward far enough not to have to defend. Basketball, waterpolo, handball, you name it. No sport has such an absurd offside rule. VAR just reinforces that absurdity.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's a silly offside rule. The hockey offside rule makes more sense. Soccer is the only team sport that I can think of where it's enough for defenders to push forward far enough not to have to defend. Basketball, waterpolo, handball, you name it. No sport has such an absurd offside rule. VAR just reinforces that absurdity.

How do you fix it? By using the yard markers, so if the attacking player gets the ball in the same rectangle (idk what they call it in soccer) as the defender, regardless if they are behind them, it's onside?

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
How do you fix it? By using the yard markers, so if the attacking player gets the ball in the same rectangle (idk what they call it in soccer) as the defender, regardless if they are behind them, it's onside?
Possibly that, hockey-style, indeed, or the the Wenger suggestion that there has to be space between forward and defender. Would revolutionary 'Arsenal Wenger offside law' be the ultimate VAR solution football needs? | Goal.com US so that only an egregious forward cheat is penalized.

Or arguably... do away with it entirely, and make the 11 players cover the whole field.

I'm not enamored with any offside rule, to tell you the truth. I'd consider doing away with offsides in hockey as well, but that's another conversation.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Possibly that, hockey-style, indeed, or the the Wenger suggestion that there has to be space between forward and defender. Would revolutionary 'Arsenal Wenger offside law' be the ultimate VAR solution football needs? | Goal.com US so that only an egregious forward cheat is penalized.

Or arguably... do away with it entirely, and make the 11 players cover the whole field.

I'm not enamored with any offside rule, to tell you the truth. I'd consider doing away with offsides in hockey as well, but that's another conversation.

It would dramatically change both games to have it taken away, long bombs down the ice or the field to someone who's running deep or cherry picking would become the norm and I don't think that's particularly enjoyable.

Soccer offside rules do suck though because it's often so tight and there's not enough goals as is.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
It would dramatically change both games to have it taken away, long bombs down the ice or the field to someone who's running deep or cherry picking would become the norm and I don't think that's particularly enjoyable.

Soccer offside rules do suck though because it's often so tight and there's not enough goals as is.
It's contrary to the spirit of the game and sucks the life out of it. I have no problem with "cherry picking". Make defenders defend.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00