OT: Establishment in Toronto wont play Leaf games

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The real problem is this place only has one TV option(AKA, ONLY Habs)

I've seen people play other teams in Montreal and never took it personal but a lot of places usually got the TVs plugged into several channels so that there's a variety of sports and/or games on.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana

I've seen people play other teams in Montreal and never took it personal but a lot of places usually got the TVs plugged into several channels so that there's a variety of sports and/or games on.

Yes fair enough -- but would you really respond to your patrons like this?

He said "I'm the owner and I'm a Montreal fan. I play what I want."

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
This thread naturally makes me think: "what happens if the game is on Leafs TV?"

For a couple of years I had a very part time job in the kitchen at a sports bar/restaurant. I asked the owner if he had Leafs TV. He told me he wanted to get it to have the games that some people wouldn't be able to see, but that the commercial subscription fee for Leafs TV was $1,600 per year.

I found it hard to believe that one channel could cost over $130 per month, but there didn't seem to be any other reason to not have that channel.

Anybody else in the industry encounter this?

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
What a waste. Coaches Corner last night was a joke. I don't need to see a replay of Don getting Kadri and then, wow, Don getting Orr and McClaren - very exciting! Seriously, a few days after the trade deadline and Coaches Corner was dedicated to showing a replay of Don getting guys for an interview a week earlier.

But seriously, I it blows my mind to imagine a Canadian establishment choosing college basketball over hockey.

:laugh: It's like Don just decided to mail it in last night

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

Yeah, absolutely. If you're a sports bar, you are likely going to have multiple televisions. I have no problem going to a bar and having the Leafs game playing as well as any other team playing; I like it better actually. That way there's another game on while mine is on intermission. I liked last night having the option to turn around and check the score of the Habs-Bruins game every once in a while

leafstilldeath*

Burn the Boats??? In this case a well you know.... hehehe

CanadianLov3

Feb 21, 2013
G😍 Leafs
This thread naturally makes me think: "what happens if the game is on Leafs TV?"

For a couple of years I had a very part time job in the kitchen at a sports bar/restaurant. I asked the owner if he had Leafs TV. He told me he wanted to get it to have the games that some people wouldn't be able to see, but that the commercial subscription fee for Leafs TV was $1,600 per year.

I found it hard to believe that one channel could cost over $130 per month, but there didn't seem to be any other reason to not have that channel.

Anybody else in the industry encounter this?

Yep, its true.

Cousin owns a pub.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I don't see the big deal to be honest. This kind of stuff happens all the time, they even have dedicated sports restaurants to 1 team throughout everywhere really. Now I'm not saying this place is like that but they are allowed to show which game they want. It takes more guts to do this so you gotta respect the guy for doing it,next time you'll know to avoid it if you want to watch the Leafs game.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Please boycott this joint even after hockey season is over!

Kessely Snipes

Great White North
Oct 16, 2011
Regina, SK
Wow, that is hilarious. Let that guy lose business.

Its funny, I don't even live in Ontario and when the Leafs are on tv its usually the top priority of teams.

1stoverall

Oct 19, 2010
He pays a franchise fee, so realistically he doesn't own **** he just runs it. Send an email to head office if you're that offended otherwise just don't go back.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Wow, that is hilarious. Let that guy lose business.

Its funny, I don't even live in Ontario and when the Leafs are on tv its usually the top priority of teams.

Just curious, there was a thread on the general board last week where they concluded that the leafs weren't popular at all in Saskatchewan. Apparently, it's mainly Oiler fans, followed by the Canucks or Habs...then bandwagoners that follow the Pens, etc.

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
I'm watching it and I'm thinking: "Seriously? This is what you're showing? WHY?" No comments on Gaborik? No comments on Boumeester? Very weird. But, sometimes, Don is like that.

Pretty sure Ron and Don were trolling all of the people who had a massive freakout about it last week. I was on campus, watching the intermission, and laughing because I expected there would be so much rage on HFBoards.

EDDIE20*

Have any of you from Toronto experienced this?

Yesterday I went to "St. Louis Wings" with a few buddies on Danforth Avenue, near Pape Ave. As we walked in, we noticed only the Habs game on the TV's.

A guy greeted us to have us seated. We asked for a table where the Leaf game is shown. He said "No, we only play the Habs game". I said "why not the Leafs game at all?" He said "I'm the owner and I'm a Montreal fan. I play what I want.". We just turned around an left.

This guy does not know how to run a business. Too bad for him. Last time I ever go there to spend any of my hard earned money.

I would've walked right the hell out of the place. Doesn't he know that the customer is always right? I live in Ottawa and most all the bars.restaurants will have at least one TV showing the Leafs game, even if Ottawa is playing the same night.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
I don't really see the problem. Kudos to the owner.

For what? Being an moronic asshat ****** of a sports bar manager?

When you allow emotions and personal bias get in the way of how you run a sports bar (one that is franchised all across the province btw) and drive away potential patrons who will just go across the street to the local dive bar and shell out their hard earned money instead, then you're not a very bright business manager to begin with.

Me thinks that the big boss of St Louis Bar and Grill franchise has a completely different philosophy on how customers should be treated and would definitely have something to say about how this guy conducts business in one of his chains.

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
For what it's worth, it's a dumb business decision, but he's certainly entitled to make it as the owner (even if it is a franchise).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad