ESPN top 100 athletes since year 2000

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Richardbro

Jul 22, 2009
Toronto

So Crosby is 22nd and Mcdavid is way too low at 98. Definite bias against the NHL and way too much love for NFL and tennis. The only other NHL player is Ovechkin at #54 which is too low as well. Yes, this is listed in order as #1 is the best.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
This is a hilarious ranking for anyone outside of the United States.

Like, literally nobody gives a f*** about Tom Brady outside of the U.S. regardless of how many times he won the U.S. national sport trophy.

The list of best athletes should be about the Olympic golds and sports played worldwide

Last edited:

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Tom Brady should be number 1 and that's coming from a Pittsburgher.

Crosby is fine where he's at, I guess, but should be higher. McRegularSeason should probably be top 50 at least.

And Jon Jones being 66? I'll just say one thing: Lock all 100 of those athletes in a room, where only 1 of them leave alive, and Jon Jones is leaving that room.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
When I see Kevin Garnett and Dwyane Wade above Kevin Durant, I suddenly don't care about the rest.

Tom Brady should be number 1 and that's coming from a Pittsburgher.

Crosby is fine where he's at. McDavid should probably be top 50.

And Jon Jones being 66? I'll just say one thing: Lock all 100 of those athletes in a room, where only 1 of them leave alive, and Jon Jones is leaving that room.
I don't think Brady behind Phelps, Serena and Messi is that bad, but there's no way he's behind LeBron.

As for Jones, I kind of get it. Despite being the best of all time, he hasn't had a huge cultural impact, he's had some questionable wins, long periods of inactivity and his antics outside the sport are absurd.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Chris Paul should be nowhere near a list like this. One of the most overrated "superstars" in any sport ever. I have never understood why NBA fans and media fawn over him. At least they didn't put Carmelo Anthony on the list, surprised they didn't to be honest.

The list actually has more Hockey guys than I thought. Figured a list like this would list one of Ovechkin/Crosby but not the other and that'd be it.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
diana taurasi being right before crosby is perfect lol

way too many nba players in general (no one gives a f*** about kevin garnett), but for a espn generated list, this is about what i'd expect.

the methodology for this ranking is insane tho

Experts in individual sports were asked to vote to rank the top athletes in their sport since Jan. 1, 2000 (no accomplishments before this date were to be considered). Those votes pared down pools in each sport to lists of 10 to 25 athletes each, which constituted the overall candidate pool for the top athletes of the 21st century so far. Each voter was presented two randomly selected names and asked to pick which one has had the better career in the 21st century. Across repeated, randomized head-to-head matchups, more than 70,000 votes were cast at this stage, and using an Elo rating system, the list was pared down from 262 to 100. That list was then evaluated by a panel of experts for any inconsistencies or oversights, resulting in the top 100 ranking seen here.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Chris Paul should be nowhere near a list like this. One of the most overrated "superstars" in any sport ever. I have never understood why NBA fans and media fawn over him. At least they didn't put Carmelo Anthony on the list, surprised they didn't to be honest.

The list actually has more Hockey guys than I thought. Figured a list like this would list one of Ovechkin/Crosby but not the other and that'd be it.
I mean Paul is one of the better defensive guards the league has seen and has been a terrific playmaker and court general throughout his career. The knock on him is obviously his inability to win, but outside of the Suns how many of his teams could really have been expected to win in what was always a pretty tough conference?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So Crosby is 22nd and Mcdavid is way too low at 98. Definite bias against the NHL and way too much love for NFL and tennis. The only other NHL player is Ovechkin at #54 which is too low as well. Yes, this is listed in order as #1 is the best.
Bro, they have seven WNBA players in front of McDavid and Ronaldinho. It is a joke, an April Fool's joke in July fam.

Matsun

Aug 15, 2010
I've watched football/soccer all my life (have vivid memories of games since 2000), hockey since around 2002, tennis since 2006 ish, olympics since 2008 and basketball since 2018. To me Messi should be in his own galaxy miles ahead of the rest. He is impossibly good.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I've watched football/soccer all my life (have vivid memories of games since 2000), hockey since around 2002, tennis since 2006 ish, olympics since 2008 and basketball since 2018. To me Messi should be in his own galaxy miles ahead of the rest. He is impossibly good.
Serena over him is absolutely bonkers.

Phelps I disagree as well, but at least it's a legendary career too

Reactions: DamonDRW and Voight

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
The list is also picking an extreme amount of hairs as well. Like Simon Biles and Phelps are competing on the world stage much more than Messi (some can even argue more dominant than Messi).

But people will look at the list and scream “American Bias” because soccer is much more popular than swimming and gymnastics.

But that still doesn't take away from how much those individuals ridiculously dominated in their specific sport.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Its an American company that employs “experts” in sports that are played within the USA.

I don't understand how people can't wrap their heads around it being predominately American born individuals.

Like no one is there arguing for the best Indian cricket player or Korean handball player.
When I saw this graph it made me laugh.

1721341214141.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad