Erie Otters 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Looks like the NHL channel has a whopping 1/2 hr. scheduled for tonights game between Erie & Windsor 9-930 (at least by the guide). Great promotion of the sport if that's true.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I think there's a difference between being good enough to win the league and actually winning the league. I think Erie was the best team in the O this year and that they deserved their championship. That said, London pretty clearly could have beaten Erie. In your words, they lost a "coin flip" overtime Game 7. I think they were also clearly better than Missy. If you think London would beat OS in a seven-game series, then London was pretty clearly good enough to win the league. (Conversely, if you think OS would beat London in a seven-game series, then OS was clearly good enough to win the league.)

You can make a similar, if more laboured, argument for Windsor. Windsor was always highly unlikely to win the league given their seeding (I had them at 5% odds at the start of the playoffs, though they would have been at least double that after Game 4 against London), but I think they absolutely had the talent to win the league. I'm prepared to agree with you that Windsor "wasn't close to winning the league". You're absolutely right that finishing thirteen wins short of a championship is nowhere close to winning. But I don't think that's a particularly relevant point when it comes to discussing a team's overall talent level, which was really the point we were discussing.

Ok. Well presented.

I have no idea if London would have beat OS. They didn't get tbe chance cause Erie was beater. Im just a results guy. The better team in any given series is the one that wins.
Clearly the O has been the best league in this tourney. But that change still change come the weekend.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Beast Mode, not correct. It starts at 9 and runs until 11:30 or until complete. I have Directv, and just checked.

EpicOtters

Nov 26, 2013
Looks like the NHL channel has a whopping 1/2 hr. scheduled for tonights game between Erie & Windsor 9-930 (at least by the guide). Great promotion of the sport if that's true.

Showing 9-11:30 here. Annoying 2 hour start delay though. Tough for us Americans trying to watch it live without streaming it. Oh well.

Hopefully we continue our dominance tonight. Get it done tonight and seal our ticket to Sunday.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Why has the OHL dominated the last 10 or so years? I tried to explain it to my wife, but I couldn't. Could it be the population density of Ontario/mid-Atlantic states? Storied franchises like London, Windsor, and Kitchener? Based on this forum alone there is much more interest in the OHL than with the other 2 leagues. And, I must admit, a much higher hockey IQ.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Alrighty, my bad. Looked at the "guide" this morning on Spectrum, showed 9-930 Memorial cup coverage, then "NHL on the fly" for the remaining time slots.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Why has the OHL dominated the last 10 or so years? I tried to explain it to my wife, but I couldn't. Could it be the population density of Ontario/mid-Atlantic states? Storied franchises like London, Windsor, and Kitchener? Based on this forum alone there is much more interest in the OHL than with the other 2 leagues. And, I must admit, a much higher hockey IQ.

It has to do with resources. Ontario and somewhat Michigan have more people and more money at its disposal. It means better coaching, scouting, deeper pockets etc.

It is the same deal within the OHL with East vs West Conferences.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016

Another influence might be the fact that the OHL is far more "compact" than the other 2 leagues. The franchises in both the Q and the W are far more widespread, so there's probably much less community interaction and natural rivalries developed. Examples: How much in common do you think that Val D'Or Quebec has in common with Moncton, New Brunswick, or Brandon Wheat Kings vs the Vancouver Giants or Calgary Hitmen ? Those are very significant distances, and that much separation has to be a factor. In some cases, the hockey arena is the community focal point, and their fans are loyal enough that their franchises survive, despite being somewhat "isolated". Road trips are brutal, when compared to the worst ones encountered in the OHL.

Being "far-flung" also tends to have less national attention, and fewer visits from scouts, so those players hone their skills under less media attention than those in the OHL. That enables some players to fly under the radar, unless they get traded to another franchise that gets more media exposure.

Thanks, guys. That makes perfect sense.

Just like in real estate

it all boils down to location, location, location

When you can scout the majority of OHL teams within 2 hours of an NHL rink you're in the hot bed of the action. Not saying the Q and W don't have their prime centers, but the OHL has the lure that the other leagues just don't have because it's so tightly packed in to a small geographical footprint

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Id add population as a factor also. More kids, better chance of better players?

And cash, skills development ect...
Run a camp in ontario and its an easy draw.

Last edited:

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Ok. Well presented.

I have no idea if London would have beat OS. They didn't get tbe chance cause Erie was beater. Im just a results guy. The better team in any given series is the one that wins.
Clearly the O has been the best league in this tourney. But that change still change come the weekend.

Nothing wrong with being a results guy. They're all that matter anyway!

Interestingly enough, the better team seems to almost always win in the OHL playoffs (sixteen straight top-2 champions by points and counting), so in a sense we kind of get the best of both worlds.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Showing 9-11:30 here. Annoying 2 hour start delay though. Tough for us Americans trying to watch it live without streaming it. Oh well.

Hopefully we continue our dominance tonight. Get it done tonight and seal our ticket to Sunday.

The NHL Network's twitter account says they're carrying the game live.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Flint fan still trying to figure this all out: If by chance Erie finishes 2-1 will they play in the semifinal vs 1-2 Saint John's with the winner going to the finals?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Poor first period likely going to cost the Otters tonight. Windsor came out flying and Erie really had no answer. A much better second period but DiPietro is playing very well.

Knightsfan90

Sep 17, 2014
Any comment on the hit from behind on Debrincat. Looked like a clear call to me....

along with the ones on
Hits from behind:
Chatfield
Sergachev

High Sticks:
Vilardi
Brown

like I said its going BOTH ways good teams learn to play with good officiating and with BAD officiating

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
along with the ones on
Hits from behind:
Chatfield
Sergachev

High Sticks:
Vilardi
Brown

like I said its going BOTH ways good teams learn to play with good officiating and with BAD officiating

Yes.

Never blame the refs. Players n coaches make far more mistakes and can effect the outcome much than officials.

That's reserved for people looking for excuses.

Erie still controls its destiny in this tourney.

Roost

Apr 6, 2017
Erie
Slow start dooms this team tonight. They controlled play after the 1st. If they get to the game Sunday you can bet they won't start slow. Regardless still proud of this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad