Erie Otters 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Having seen all 4 teams in action now, Seattle is the least impressive. They don't do much offensively if Barzal isn't on the ice and Stankowski made some huge saves to keep them in the game. We'll see if they can bounce back.

Nice start for Erie though. Timpano was a little shaky early on, didn't face much pressure, but he had a solid 3rd period. Erie could improve their finishing ability but overall no big complaints. Important game Monday against Saint John. A win there gets them at least into the semifinal.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Having seen all 4 teams in action now, Seattle is the least impressive. They don't do much offensively if Barzal isn't on the ice and Stankowski made some huge saves to keep them in the game. We'll see if they can bounce back.

Nice start for Erie though. Timpano was a little shaky early on, didn't face much pressure, but he had a solid 3rd period. Erie could improve their finishing ability but overall no big complaints. Important game Monday against Saint John. A win there gets them at least into the semifinal.

I can see an all OHL final. I think West or Q goes home winless.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I can see an all OHL final. I think West or Q goes home winless.

Wouldn't sleep on Saint John quite yet. They have 11 NHL prospects. Very slow start yesterday but looked better in the third, although Windsor may have let their foot off the gas with a 3-0 lead.

It wouldn't surprise me if Seattle went winless though.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Wouldn't sleep on Saint John quite yet. They have 11 NHL prospects. Very slow start yesterday but looked better in the third, although Windsor may have let their foot off the gas with a 3-0 lead.

It wouldn't surprise me if Seattle went winless though.

i wouldnt sleep on any team. they are all here for a reason. and even though windsor couldnt win a round in playoffs, they still desperately bought all year with trades to bring in talent. everyone has the talent. some will prove to be stronger, more consistent.
i think the whole draft pick thing is overrated,
example: kyle pettit was drafted in the 6th round. maksimovich, a superior player just smaller, was not drafted. darren raddysh was passed over multiple times and now is one of the best defenders in chl (though age contributing to it).

point being is anyone can get scooped in rounds 4-7. nhl teams are projecting much more there. often value size or just the look of the player. its the top end guys drafted that looks better. so yes Saint John has 11 draft/signed nhl guys but only 3 in the top 3 rounds/top 90 overall.
erie has 6 in the top 3 rounds/90 overall (5 in the top 61).

but the draft overall doesnt hold weight when kyle pettit or digiacinto was drafted while others were passed over because of size or being late bloomers.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I can't believe how weak the WHL and QMJHL are this season. Things could change quickly, single elimination tournaments can be weird, but this isn't even close.

Windsor is a good team who had consistency problems this season but they still finished 5th in the west and got knocked out in the 1st round, yet they destroyed Seattle yesterday (and outplayed SNB for the majority of the game on Friday).

I'm looking forward to Wednesday night.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I can't believe how weak the WHL and QMJHL are this season. Things could change quickly, single elimination tournaments can be weird, but this isn't even close.

Windsor is a good team who had consistency problems this season but they still finished 5th in the west and got knocked out in the 1st round, yet they destroyed Seattle yesterday (and outplayed SNB for the majority of the game on Friday).

I'm looking forward to Wednesday night.

Seems like a weak year for the champs from the Q and W but as you said, and I agree, things can change quick. Esp when its single elimination time come tie-breaks/ semis/finals.
Erie is the best team so far, Windsor 2nd which as you pointed out, wasn't close to competing for an OHL title.
OS, Soo, London, Missy would all be competitive here.
But again, once this weekend comes.....

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
OS, Soo, London, Missy would all be competitive here.
But again, once this weekend comes.....

I'm beginning to think 8-10 teams in the OHL could compete with Seattle and Saint John the way they've played so far. The top 5 or 6 that you mentioned would be almost as dominant.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Not thrilled with the defensive performance in this one but it's understandable they got a little loose with how much offense they were getting. Saint John was shockingly bad defensively and Erie just pummeled them. Much tougher test incoming on Wednesday.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Erie is the best team so far, Windsor 2nd which as you pointed out, wasn't close to competing for an OHL title.

That kind of depends on how you define "close to competing for an OHL title", though. The Spits were edged out by a team that was edged out by the team that won the championship. I get that playoff results aren't transitive (and Erie's ridiculous Corsi domination of London has to be taken into account), but are people really convinced Windsor wouldn't have given Erie a tough series? Unless you're a real Peterborough truther, the Spits had more quality wins (3) in the playoffs than Missy (1).

Saint John didn't play a single playoff game against a team as good as the West's big five. I don't think they're a paper champion, and I think they'll make trouble for whoever loses the Erie-Windsor game on Wednesday, but their success has to be understood in that context.

Anyway, fun game, hope the Otters can stay focused for the rest of the tournament. Would love to see a Windsor-Erie final!

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
That kind of depends on how you define "close to competing for an OHL title", though. The Spits were edged out by a team that was edged out by the team that won the championship. I get that playoff results aren't transitive (and Erie's ridiculous Corsi domination of London has to be taken into account), but are people really convinced Windsor wouldn't have given Erie a tough series? Unless you're a real Peterborough truther, the Spits had more quality wins (3) in the playoffs than Missy (1).
!
How many wins did Spits have in regulation in POs? Losing in round 1 isn't close to a championship when that team that beat them bows out next rd. Cmon.
Spits lost in rd 1, when they had a huge 3-1 advantage based on 2 coin flip OT games. Wasted 3 chances to close out a series. To a team that lost in rd 2.
No need to sugar it. London wasn't good enough to win the O, Windsor even less so.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

How many wins did Spits have in regulation in POs? Losing in round 1 isn't close to a championship when that team that beat them bows out next rd. Cmon.
Spits lost in rd 1, when they had a huge 3-1 advantage based on 2 coin flip OT games. Wasted 3 chances to close out a series. To a team that lost in rd 2.
No need to sugar it. London wasn't good enough to win the O, Windsor even less so.

You say Windsor won 2 games on 2 coin flip OT games,well London won 2 games on 2 very debatable power play opportunities,a phantom goal winds up being the difference in the 1st one,the league admits it was a botched call,and both results occurred on home ice,late game with the other team not getting an equal opportunity as result of a soft goal.Knights needed off ice and on ice help to win the series.Too bad,the teams played 13 games all season against each other and London wins 7-6 with one home game more and more hometown calls to boot.
As I mentioned in another thread,last night coach Danny Flynn for St John said that Erie and Windsor were the 2 best clubs his team had played all season.

You say Windsor won 2 games on 2 coin flip OT games,well London won 2 games on 2 very debatable power play opportunities,a phantom goal winds up being the difference in the 1st one,the league admits it was a botched call,and both results occurred on home ice,late game with the other team not getting an equal opportunity as result of a soft goal.Knights needed off ice and on ice help to win the series.Too bad,the teams played 13 games all season against each other and London wins 7-6 with one home game more and more hometown calls to boot.
As I mentioned in another thread,last night coach Danny Flynn for St John said that Erie and Windsor were the 2 best clubs his team had played all season.
Your bias isn't even enviable.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I have to believe that London or Owen Sound would be schooling Seattle or St. John at this point. Having to beat these 2 very tough teams to get here has helped this team immensely. Even Missy could compete here for sure. This speaks volumes as to how much deeper the OHL is compared to the Dub or Q. At times Erie looked like an NHL club.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

We know, Windsor got screwed but lost to a team that wasnt close to winning a title.

Wow did Erie ever curb stomp SJ. Just one of those games where everything goes in.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
We know, Windsor got screwed but lost to a team that wasnt close to winning a title.

Wow did Erie ever curb stomp SJ. Just one of those games where everything goes in.

These excuses are along the lines of someone take a turd putting powdered sugar and ice cream on it calling it an ice cream sandwich. To some it's an ice cream sandwich to others it's still a turd.

may know

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site

Saint John hasn't played any other OHL teams though.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Refs fault.
We get it!!!

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Man, Seattle was just a disaster in this tournament.

Big one tomorrow night. Wouldn't want to have to play Saint John in the semifinal.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016

I think there's a difference between being good enough to win the league and actually winning the league. I think Erie was the best team in the O this year and that they deserved their championship. That said, London pretty clearly could have beaten Erie. In your words, they lost a "coin flip" overtime Game 7. I think they were also clearly better than Missy. If you think London would beat OS in a seven-game series, then London was pretty clearly good enough to win the league. (Conversely, if you think OS would beat London in a seven-game series, then OS was clearly good enough to win the league.)

You can make a similar, if more laboured, argument for Windsor. Windsor was always highly unlikely to win the league given their seeding (I had them at 5% odds at the start of the playoffs, though they would have been at least double that after Game 4 against London), but I think they absolutely had the talent to win the league. I'm prepared to agree with you that Windsor "wasn't close to winning the league". You're absolutely right that finishing thirteen wins short of a championship is nowhere close to winning. But I don't think that's a particularly relevant point when it comes to discussing a team's overall talent level, which was really the point we were discussing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad