Erie Otters 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
So will more gens fans cry that the refs are calling too many penalties or Erie fans cry they're not calling enough by the end of the series??

If the series starts to go against the Gens regardless of the amount of penalties called, it'll be the Gen fans just like the vocal Soo fans.

BSabres

Sep 24, 2013
If the series starts to go against the Gens regardless of the amount of penalties called, it'll be the Gen fans just like the vocal Soo fans.

And I'm thinking if the gens win the first two there will be a bunch of Erie fans crying about how the gens can run around running interference and not get called. As has been said, let's hope the refs are not a factor in this series.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I think people see Mcdavid and Strome and a small Debrincat and assume Erie has no physicality. They were pretty physical against SSM, especially game 6. That's why they won the series. Wasn't really about the big hits but they physically forced SSM to play outside and no where near the net. Can't think of really any goals that the Soo scored in close because Erie didn't really allow them to crash the net. Macdermid and Geno are huge and physical. Donnay is 6'7 and Raddysh has really impressed me with his strength to just force guys off the puck (especially against SSM)

They can play physical if need be. Being the finals guys are more willing to throw the body and grind so expect Erie to play physical as well. Even Debrincat had been hiting guys like Deangelo and Nurse all series. I can say that if they came out game 1/2 and lost because of lack of physical play, knoblauch will recognize that and tell his players to be more physical.. And they will respond. It's been the reason for their success all season long, the ability to change styles of play mid game and during the course of a series to do whatever it takes to win. Part of that is when knoblauch is willing to switch lines constantly if nothing is working as Baptiste/Betz have played all 3 lines. Debrincat and Maksimovich have also been rotated around at different times all year. They will play with anybody. And with Pettit returning at some point that is just another boast for different line combinations to use

Don't know how the series will go but it should be close and physical being with everything on the line. But I don't expect Erie to just sit back and take hits and get run out the building. They won't be afraid and will likely hit back. This win over SSM has the team very confident in their approach and a game 1 loss in both series 1 and 3 has them knowing that they come from behind not just in games but in a series as well. 3 goals down in game 1 against the Soo (although they lost they came back to tie it). Down 1-0 early in game 2 to Soo and won. Down 1-0, then 2-1, then 3-2 to SSM in game 4 and they won. Down 2-1 to SSM in game 6 and they won. They are very resilient and have the ability to play through adversity very well

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I really feel that the Gens have to stay out of the box. Erie has far too much potential on the power play to give them a ton of opportunities.

ottergolfer

Jan 27, 2013
it will be the responsibility of each team to win the battle of the special teams.
the refs will call some good calls and some bad ones
The Otters won the battle against the Soo on the PK by limiting the hounds scoring chances and getting a few shorties as well.

the hounds lost the battle on the P K by allowing the otters to score Otters 7-for-16 on the power play in the series

the fresh legs of the returning players for the Otters will also be a huge factor.
Ask coach kris what he thought the impact of getting Kurt back for game six was ....

the Otters will play the style of game that is needed to win .. speed or crash and bang they adapt and adjust as well as any team I have ever seen .

EpicOtters

Nov 26, 2013
926 tickets left for Game 3, 232 of them on the lower level. Almost all tickets are the four corners, 90% of which is the single attacking zone, no surprise.

561 tickets left for Game 4, 96 on the lower level.

Also, there will be another tailgate from what I am hearing at 5pm on Monday at the corner again. No live band, just blasting music and definitely free beer. :yo:

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
926 tickets left for Game 3, 232 of them on the lower level. Almost all tickets are the four corners, 90% of which is the single attacking zone, no surprise.

Also, there will be another tailgate from what I am hearing at 5pm on Monday at the corner again. No live band, just blasting music and definitely free beer. :yo:

They will sold out by tomorrow night. Can't wait

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
A lot has been said on the Gens forum and some on here about how big and physical the Gens are. Very true. However, I checked the player's physical stats, and there is very little difference in size from the Otters. I noticed that Whiskers and Remi both knocked Nurse around. Remi knocked him down twice by my count. Nurse is a big boy. Ritchie, who I feel is one of the most physical players in the O, wasn't a force by the end of the series. Our boys hit, and hit hard. They shot the puck, and limited good scoring chances. Ottergolfer is right-this team can play it anyway you want it.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa

Thank god Uber just started in Erie. Sounds like some people are going to need a ride home.....

BSabres

Sep 24, 2013
A lot has been said on the Gens forum and some on here about how big and physical the Gens are. Very true. However, I checked the player's physical stats, and there is very little difference in size from the Otters. I noticed that Whiskers and Remi both knocked Nurse around. Remi knocked him down twice by my count. Nurse is a big boy. Ritchie, who I feel is one of the most physical players in the O, wasn't a force by the end of the series. Our boys hit, and hit hard. They shot the puck, and limited good scoring chances. Ottergolfer is right-this team can play it anyway you want it.

The physical size of the players may be similar but do the otters use their size? Because the genies absolutely do. They even go running around for the big hit which can get them into trouble. I think that's a big part of the gens ability to win series is to wear the other team down. I don't think anyone was insinuating Erie can't play physical but gens fans know we can and have to play that way to win.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Yes, they can and do. Big Mac is one of the biggest players in the O, and he hits like a truck. It will be nice to actually hit someone and not worry about head shots. Both Donnay and Mcdermind are over 6' 4" and get called for head shots all the time because of their size. You will see.

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
Are the otters able to win 2-1 games? That might be the big question. I know they can score but Oshawa allowed the lowest goals against in the league this season. Appleby is right at 2 goals allowed per game all year. Williams is good but he's no appleby, smith or perressini IMO. I still say 6-7 game series and hope the refs let them play. No lane calls as both teams have top power plays and can win the game on pp alone. It will be rocking in Oshawa Friday and Saturday night.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Are the otters able to win 2-1 games? That might be the big question. I know they can score but Oshawa allowed the lowest goals against in the league this season. Appleby is right at 2 goals allowed per game all year. Williams is good but he's no appleby, smith or perressini IMO. I still say 6-7 game series and hope the refs let them play. No lane calls as both teams have top power plays and can win the game on pp alone. It will be rocking in Oshawa Friday and Saturday night.

One would assume yes seeing as how they won 4-2 with an empty net against SSM. They were able to slow down a powerful Soo offense to about 4 goals a game. Now I understand Oshawa has a solid offense but nowhere near the speed and athleticism of a quick strick SSM team. If they continue to play team defense and Williams continues with his above average play, I see no reason that they couldn't win a game 2-1 or 3-2.

Don't think Oshawa will win many 2-1 games against us either. good luck holding Erie to 1 goal in multiple games. Maybe it happens once but Erie next to SSM was the best offense in the league. And I think this past series proved that we have more top talented snipers who finish and thrive on many odd man rushes. But as buzz and ottergolf said, they will adjust and play any type of game to win. Saw kind of a lower scoring defensive grind with Sarnia, a fast paced game against London, and a little bit of everything against SSM. Erie has the size and defensive/goaltending ability to grind out close wins but have an elite enough offense to also win 5-4 games. They can play both ways just fine.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Neumann got taken late by Youngstown in the USHL draft.

I read that he's getting quite a lot of NCAA interest, I hope Erie locks him up. Could see he and Lodnia carving out spots in the bottom six next season, then becoming the leaders of the team in 2016-2017.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
So are we talking OHL League Championship Hockey or the UFC here?

the gens are bigger and badder BLAH , BLAH, BLAH........Seems good old Teddy Baker or whoever makes the calls thought 3 of our guys were just TOO physical throughout the year and couldn't understand why a 6 ft 7 guys shoulders would match up to a 6 ft guys head...made it look worse than it was or was meant to be..

hopefully Donnay and MacDermid and our guys will be able to do that too,I will text them it's ok to hit and hit hard, I know during the year they had a to wear a special league approved jersey with a red bullseye
on their backs during the second half of the season..it resembled the national store chain "TARGET" ..then game misconducts and suspensions ensued..also NAZ it is appearing that your are making excuses for your best "TEAM" by insinuating that if you do lose ..it will be the refs fault.. Cmon man these teams haven't hit the ice yet so it's a little pre mature to talk about reasons why ERIE may take the series..

NAZ: I sense you may be a little worried...Just wondering if not .. Then why all the concern..there's threads all over talking about the officiating.. It is what it is.. If it's bad it will be equally bad.. The SOO fans didn't start out or end like this, they wished us well while moving on,why the insinuation of if "we lose this could be why??"

DavelPatsyuk13

Oct 10, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON

the gens are bigger and badder BLAH , BLAH, BLAH........Seems good old Teddy Baker or whoever makes the calls thought 3 of our guys were just TOO physical throughout the year and couldn't understand why a 6 ft 7 guys shoulders would match up to a 6 ft guys head...made it look worse than it was or was meant to be..

hopefully Donnay and MacDermid and our guys will be able to do that too,I will text them it's ok to hit and hit hard, I know during the year they had a to wear a special league approved jersey with a red bullseye
on their backs during the second half of the season..it resembled the national store chain "TARGET" ..then game misconducts and suspensions ensued..also NAZ it is appearing that your are making excuses for your best "TEAM" by insinuating that if you do lose ..it will be the refs fault.. Cmon man these teams haven't hit the ice yet so it's a little pre mature to talk about reasons why ERIE may take the series..

NAZ: I sense you may be a little worried...Just wondering if not .. Then why all the concern..there's threads all over talking about the officiating.. It is what it is.. If it's bad it will be equally bad.. The SOO fans didn't start out or end like this, they wished us well while moving on,why the insinuation of if "we lose this could be why??"

As painful as it is to say, I actually see Erie winning in 6. Obviously special teams will be a difference, but unless Oshawa can completely slow down McDavid & Co I don't think they're a high enough scoring team to win 4 games against you. Good luck in the finals, wish we were there ;)

BSabres

Sep 24, 2013

This surprises me as Soo fans have been trolling our board all season.

Nobody is making up excuses before the series starts. I don't even see any comments putting down Erie in any way. Your target joke was weak.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
This surprises me as Soo fans have been trolling our board all season.

Nobody is making up excuses before the series starts. I don't even see any comments putting down Erie in any way. Your target joke was weak.
No Soo fans didn't start by blaming the refs, they started by predicting their team to win in 3 games. Lol. But at the very least in 5 games. They just were a bit over confident to consider special teams as a factor as they assumed 5-5 on they would rack up 5-6 goals a game anyways.. Cause Halverson > Williams

BSabres

Sep 24, 2013
No Soo fans didn't start by blaming the refs, they started by predicting their team to win in 3 games. Lol. But at the very least in 5 games. They just were a bit over confident to consider special teams as a factor as they assumed 5-5 on they would rack up 5-6 goals a game anyways.. Cause Halverson > Williams

:laugh::laugh: That sounds like the Soo fans we all know and love.

7D442

Apr 27, 2015
ERIE PA
BSabres :name 2 players who were out a total of 18 games (in JUST THE PLAYOFFS )for OSH

And It wasn't the joke it was the point, even you got it

Last edited:

BSabres

Sep 24, 2013
BSabres :name 2 players who are who were out a total of 18 games in JUST THE PLAYOFFS for OSH

And It wasn't the joke it was the point, even you got it

I don't even know what your asking me.

ottergolfer

Jan 27, 2013
all this talk about the Soo and the Gens being on top of the C H L top ten
how soon we all forget that the Otters were ranked # 2 for a few weeks also

ande if you ask ant coach or player being on that list means nothing more than the fact some sports writers think the team was playing well that week

its Wed two more sleeps till we all find out what is what and who is who....

:handclap::handclap::handclap:
LETS GO OTTERS LETS GO OTTERS LETS GO OTTERS LETS GO OTTERS LETS GO OTTERS LETS GO OTTERS LETS GO OTTERS LETS GO OTTERS LETS GO OTTERS

KnightSpit

Oct 27, 2012
Erie vs. Oshawa place your bets

all this talk about the Soo and the Gens being on top of the C H L top ten
how soon we all forget that the Otters were ranked # 2 for a few weeks also

ande if you ask ant coach or player being on that list means nothing more than the fact some sports writers think the team was playing well that week

its Wed two more sleeps till we all find out what is what and who is who....

:handclap::handclap::handclap:
LETS GO OTTERS LETS GO OTTERS LETS GO OTTERS LETS GO OTTERS LETS GO OTTERS LETS GO OTTERS LETS GO OTTERS LETS GO OTTERS LETS GO OTTERS

Golfer this is got to be the most anticipated, hyped Junior Hockey Final in recent memory, should be a great battle. We had a friend who was able to snag us Tickets for Friday Night in Oshawa and will be there with a full game report, still trying to get Saturday tickets as well. I only hope like at EIA in Game # 3, at GMC in Oshawa we can start that Infamous, original chant "2 SHOTS 2 GOALS" and please REFS, this is not about YOU, it is about the players so "Let Them Play" Golfer, Buzz, Zin any predictions on how the ERIE Forward lines will be, heard Murphy still practicing with Jake Marchment and Raddysh according to Go Erie, if that is the case probably the same as game # 6 against SSM. ???

Also would love to see Petit back, any word on him ???

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Golfer this is got to be the most anticipated, hyped Junior Hockey Final in recent memory, should be a great battle. We had a friend who was able to snag us Tickets for Friday Night in Oshawa and will be there with a full game report, still trying to get Saturday tickets as well. I only hope like at EIA in Game # 3, at GMC in Oshawa we can start that Infamous, original chant "2 SHOTS 2 GOALS" and please REFS, this is not about YOU, it is about the players so "Let Them Play" Golfer, Buzz, Zin any predictions on how the ERIE Forward lines will be, heard Murphy still practicing with Jake Marchment and Raddysh according to Go Erie, if that is the case probably the same as game # 6 against SSM. ???

Also would love to see Petit back, any word on him ???
Probably could be the case in game 1 if Pettit doesn't return yet and Mason Marchment still has one game on his suspension.

Once Mason Marchment returns for game 2 I would expect knoblauch to go back to 6 D with Fergus sitting and if Pettit gets back into lineup, which should happen at some point in this series, it's almost a guarantee that we seen Knoblauch go back to 6 D and Fergus a scratch. Would likely be either Mason Marchment or Patrick Fellows who then is the extra forward scratch if/when Pettit returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad