GWT: English Premier League: 9/16-9/18

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Great game for Liverpool minus falling asleep for the Costa goal.

I still am not convinced Liverpool will have a clean sheet in the league all season.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Looking at the Matic play, Matip and #12 (? couldn't see who it was diving around) played this like they were completely out of focus.
Too bad because they were disciplined the rest of the game.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It was Lallana. Lallana also tripped over himself and lost Matic when he was running to the box.

That pass in combination with his defense is why Matic is a fifth round pick, though. :sarcasm:

Wijnaldum will be the unsung hero of the game, I thought he played better than everyone. Lots of running back to make good tackles, usually set Liverpool forward for their good attacks, and provided a great outlet for the D to avoid Hazard and Willian's high pressure.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I also wonder why he'd bring in Moses when they clearly needed someone else (Batshuayi) in the box to win headers from all those crosses.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I also wonder why he'd bring in Moses when they clearly needed someone else (Batshuayi) in the box to win headers from all those crosses.

I'm convinced Moses has the ability to make managers think that he is better than he is

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I really hope Conte starts to realize that there is a better starting lineup that he can put out. Sit Matic and start Fabregas, simple as that.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Well, physically when Moses cares (unsure when that is), he's one of the better talents. But he's just so inconsistent.

Three points and ten so far isn't bad. Lot of away matches handled.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Dropping points to Hull next week would be the most Liverpool thing ever.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I really hope Alonso is something. Haven't watched one of his games since he was in the PL and he didn't seem like anything. Otherwise, we spent another 20 million on another left back (luis > baba > alonso) who all couldn't displace ivanovic of all players.

Wouldn't dropping deep mean he was coming back to get the ball? I think it does.. so I think you are on the same page with him. He would come back and then nothing would come from it

Very ****** half. I wonder if Conte continues with the lone striker and makes the subs around that, or if he's totally done with this **** performance that he just wants the direct balls into the box. in that case I guess michy will come on.

they just need change, and they need an early goal.

I think Alonso can offer something going forward which is good, but only so much perhaps. I think he played more in a 3-5-2 for Fiorentina though.

No, I wasn't on the same page with him. He was criticizing Oscar for playing too deep which at that point he wasn't. I was then saying that if Oscar was now (at that point) coming deep it was probably because he wasn't getting the ball, and he wasn't. The only Chelsea starters with fewer touches than Oscar were Costa and Courtois. And you had Chelsea doing the same thing for much of the second half. You had one player with the ball in midfield and then the rest of the players running forward. You then got a route one pass that lead to nothing. There was no meaningful buildup play. And that's exactly why I think Chelsea need to go 4-3-3. Liverpool had passing triangles all match long and Chelsea would struggle getting the ball off of them. Chelsea on the other hand had exactly what I just said.

I think Wenger gets out of his squads about what you'd expect from the talent and rarely more in recent years. Top 4 finish and R16 in CL every year, but the team runs into serious issues sometimes due to their lack of structure with and without the ball.

I think Liverpool is pretty good at the back, actually. Well, we'll see what happens if Matip gets injured. Milner is a better version of Grosskreutz, whom Klopp turned into a very good full back for a couple years. Their squad is pretty good all around, but it definitely still lacks the star power of City, Chelsea, and United, and I think there results will still be a bit unpredictable. I think they'll finish in the CL spots again though.

I disagree. For me Arsenal have been lacking in some positions season after season and when you compare their squad to the other squads out there you don't expect a top 4 finish or R16 showing in the CL. If you do I'd say it's debatable.

I'd say they're lacking at the back compared to everywhere else in the team. On top of that I think as Evilo noted that you don't always know what Lovren shows up. Anyway, look at Chelsea's goal. At the end of the day as good as Matic did there the defending was poor. As for lacking the star power, that only gets you so far. Chelsea has star power and it got them nowhere this match. United has star power and despite the scoreline they were outplayed against City and had to result to route one to look dangerous. With Liverpool I'm seeing excellent work rate, team defending all over the pitch and great ball movement, and not just in this match. There's also a physical aspect with some of the pace in the team. They didn't add some of the big names that other clubs have, but they still made some good additions in Wijnaldum, Mane and Matip.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Not a direct comparison, but Moses is like a worse version of Willian. He'll do a lot of the little things right, but in the end, you have little actual production in terms of goals and assists.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
• Hull (h)
• Swansea (a)
• Man Utd (h)
• West Brom (h)
• C Palace (a)
• Watford (h)

I think we'll know what Liverpool's going to do this season after those next six games. Should be top four at minimum after a run like that. Also have games after these that are even easier. No excuses this year unless something catastrophic happens.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I really hope Conte starts to realize that there is a better starting lineup that he can put out. Sit Matic and start Fabregas, simple as that.

I don't agree with all of Conte's personnel decisions, but starting Matic over Fabregas is one that I fully support. I think they might need better interchange in role between Kante and Matic though. I would prefer Matic playing more as a 6 and Kante a bit more as an 8.

I disagree. For me Arsenal have been lacking in some positions season after season and when you compare their squad to the other squads out there you don't expect a top 4 finish or R16 showing in the CL. If you do I'd say it's debatable.

I'd say they're lacking at the back compared to everywhere else in the team. On top of that I think as Evilo noted that you don't always know what Lovren shows up. Anyway, look at Chelsea's goal. At the end of the day as good as Matic did there the defending was poor. As for lacking the star power, that only gets you so far. Chelsea has star power and it got them nowhere this match. United has star power and despite the scoreline they were outplayed against City and had to result to route one to look dangerous. With Liverpool I'm seeing excellent work rate, team defending all over the pitch and great ball movement, and not just in this match. There's also a physical aspect with some of the pace in the team. They didn't add some of the big names that other clubs have, but they still made some good additions in Wijnaldum, Mane and Matip.

When has Arsenal not had a top 4 squad in the league in recent years? Better yet, when have they not had a top 16 squad in Europe, or gotten out of their group when there were two teams you'd expect to finish ahead of them? When did a team other than United, Chelsea, or City have a better squad? Maybe Liverpool in Suarez's crazy year? That's about it IMO. Some fans gravitate to Wenger because he has a real "let 'em play" attitude toward his players offensively - and that fits someone like Özil - but far too often his teams suffer from severe problems where there are too many players in a single line, or occupying the same spaces while ignoring others. His teams may be consistent from year to year, but they're not as consistent at finding individualized solutions to particular opponents as Pep's, nor do they have the high potential in cup competitions of Klopp's.

Well, as others pointed out, the Chelsea goal wasn't necessarily the fault of the back line. Matic created an overload in the box because Henderson didn't track back, and it's hard for defenders to cover all the options when they're outnumbered. I know that star power alone won't win matches, but it improves the potential of the team in the hands of a great manager. That's why I don't think Liverpool is a real threat to City this year.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
• Hull (h)
• Swansea (a)
• Man Utd (h)
• West Brom (h)
• C Palace (a)
• Watford (h)

I think we'll know what Liverpool's going to do this season after those next six games. Should be top four at minimum after a run like that. Also have games after these that are even easier. No excuses this year unless something catastrophic happens.

The Hull and WBA games scare me more than any other game up there. Palace too.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Liverpool isn't weak at the back compared to anywhere else -- their weakness is in midfield, and while people say that the lack star power I think Firmino, Coutinho and Mane are pretty much up there with any other front 3 in the league ATM. If they can find a real balance to the midfield (a true holder to allow Henderson to play more advanced, or if Can grows into that role) they'll have one of the most complete teams in the league.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool isn't weak at the back compared to anywhere else -- their weakness is in midfield, and while people say that the lack star power I think Firmino, Coutinho and Mane are pretty much up there with any other front 3 in the league ATM. If they can find a real balance to the midfield (a true holder to allow Henderson to play more advanced, or if Can grows into that role) they'll have one of the most complete teams in the league.

Liverpool's weakness is its consistency. Whether it's their shape or their compete level against lesser teams. Also they can't slow games down consistently, although they definitely were able to take the air out of the ball a bit today.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Nice to see Liverpool take it to Chelsea.

Not only because it's Chelsea and all, but because Liverpool will probably lose their next EPL game against Hull City. Since it's, #classicLiverpool.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
When has Arsenal not had a top 4 squad in the league in recent years? Better yet, when have they not had a top 16 squad in Europe, or gotten out of their group when there were two teams you'd expect to finish ahead of them? When did a team other than United, Chelsea, or City have a better squad? Maybe Liverpool in Suarez's crazy year? That's about it IMO. Some fans gravitate to Wenger because he has a real "let 'em play" attitude toward his players offensively - and that fits someone like Özil - but far too often his teams suffer from severe problems where there are too many players in a single line, or occupying the same spaces while ignoring others. His teams may be consistent from year to year, but they're not as consistent at finding individualized solutions to particular opponents as Pep's, nor do they have the high potential in cup competitions of Klopp's.

Well, as others pointed out, the Chelsea goal wasn't necessarily the fault of the back line. Matic created an overload in the box because Henderson didn't track back, and it's hard for defenders to cover all the options when they're outnumbered. I know that star power alone won't win matches, but it improves the potential of the team in the hands of a great manager. That's why I don't think Liverpool is a real threat to City this year.

Let me take that back and say I meant challenging for the title and finishing ahead of better squads. That's what I meant by getting a lot out of his squads and he has done that. Look the past 3 seasons or so and he's finished ahead of at least one side (three last season) that he shouldn't have. That comes down to both his managerial ability and that of his opponents. Klopp and Guardiola really have nothing to do with it.

It was in part the fault of the back line. Outnumbered? Overload? Go and watch it again. Plenty of defenders back and they got beat on a multiple instances in seconds. Nobody closed down Matic in two instances and Lovren doesn't stay on Costa. Plenty of defenders to deal with the Chelsea "numbers". And as others pointed out, it was very obviously down to more than just Henderson not tracking back.

Challenging City has nothing to do with it. My initial point was that I could see them top 4. There can be a big difference between top 4 and challenging City.

Of course star power can improve the potential of the team, but it doesn't always. It depends on the star and the manager. Sure Liverpool would benefit from a star signing like say Hummels. That doesn't mean it's necessary for them to finish top 4 considering the side they have and how their manager has them performing.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Lol did Conte forget that he has 3 subs to use? Fabregas should have come on much earlier, and I would have brought on Batman as well. Literally no game through the middle today, didn't even notice Oscar. Just crap crosses with no one getting on the end of anything.

Also crazy how many times they tried to switch the ball, mostly from right to left, and kicked it straight to a Liverpool CB waiting for it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Wijnaldum will be the unsung hero of the game, I thought he played better than everyone. Lots of running back to make good tackles, usually set Liverpool forward for their good attacks, and provided a great outlet for the D to avoid Hazard and Willian's high pressure.

I was going to mention him actually. He played really well, though I'd still give the MotM to Henderson for the wonder strike while also fulfilling a lot of other duties on the pitch (most interceptions + tackles, most touches, etc.). Actually between this game and the game against Leicester Henderson actually looks like he growing quite nicely into that deep lying midfielder role. Could just be in a run of good form, but it'll be interesting to see if Klopp keeps playing him there full time, and what he can make of it for himself.

14330080_10154674031197573_669032549943532006_n.jpg

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Henderson was a very good player before his heel injuries started occurring more and more rapidly. If healthy, no reason to think he won't be back to his best.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I was going to mention him actually. He played really well, though I'd still give the MotM to Henderson for the wonder strike while also fulfilling a lot of other duties on the pitch (most interceptions + tackles, most touches, etc.). Actually between this game and the game against Leicester Henderson actually looks like he growing quite nicely into that deep lying midfielder role. Could just be in a run of good form, but it'll be interesting to see if Klopp keeps playing him there full time, and what he can make of it for himself.

14330080_10154674031197573_669032549943532006_n.jpg

Squad depth is nice. Liverpool can play 3 of Can, Henderson, Lallana and Wijnaldum every week. We will take it.

Also check your PMs Curt :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad