Value of: Ekblad

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VijayPatel11

Mar 29, 2021
Sarasota, FL
With the Panthers looking at some major contract extensions after the 2024 season, it might be time to say goodbye to Ekblad if other players (e.g. Montour, Verhaeghe, Reinhart) are seen as more valuable inside the organization. He probably doesn't have the value he once did seeing as he hasn't really performed as well as hoped, but he is still very good and after this season has 2 years left at 7.5 million.

He also has an NMC which could make things much more difficult, but it changes into a modified NTC after the 2024 season. However, considering the nature of the Huberdeau trade last offseason I wouldn't put it past Zito to try.

What would a team realistically trade for him?

Reactions: harv33173

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Pretty sure he remains with the Cats, given a few of the reasons you mention and Florida not having too many options in the pipeline.

Reactions: RogerRoger

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s overpaid and arguably (and by usage) the Panthers #3 defenseman at this point but I’m just not sure the offers are gonna make it worthwhile. There are probably other ways to cut around the edges for cap space and at two years left, I would think the Panthers may be better off just hanging on to him and using him in his current role. He’s definitely got his warts and sapped of mobility he’s probably never gonna be the guy he once was promising to be but as the third guy obviously the Panthers are competing for a Cup with that situation.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
What do you guys need? Most of our available assets are wingers, and it'll largely have to be dollar in, dollar out, since we're tight to the cap.

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
Does he like to golf or have a wife that likes Scottsdale spas and shopping. AZ likes post bonus paid players. How about your 24' 2nd?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
With the Panthers looking at some major contract extensions after the 2024 season, it might be time to say goodbye to Ekblad if other players (e.g. Montour, Verhaeghe, Reinhart) are seen as more valuable inside the organization. He probably doesn't have the value he once did seeing as he hasn't really performed as well as hoped, but he is still very good and after this season has 2 years left at 7.5 million.

He also has an NMC which could make things much more difficult, but it changes into a modified NTC after the 2024 season. However, considering the nature of the Huberdeau trade last offseason I wouldn't put it past Zito to try.

What would a team realistically trade for him?
see 1 of 2 paths, but not both in a larger package, adds on both sides

either
something around Panarin, 2.6x retained down to 9 per

this ^ addresses Cat desire to add at W
gives NY small cap relief now + slightly better long term structural cap positioning

other path is Trouba
Trouba very close $$ wise, slightly longer term

Rs happy to have Ekblad while he holds up, and if he breaks down, easier to LTIR or buy out. Eventual NY RD = Fox-Schnieder-Emberson/other, so stopgap is fine.

thoughts?

Reactions: harv33173

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
My guess if moved (next offseason) is still Dallas. They need an offensive D badly and their defensive system would attract Zito whether acquiring a forward or defenseman in return.

The Benn and Suter deals end same year as Ekblad, the Stars would have room to pay Ekblad who wouldn't need to play so defensive and be allowed to flourish on offense.

I don't think Aaron will be itching to move this July, Panthers are finally turning the corner, I'm sure he wants to come back for one more run.

In saying this, Huberdeau was moved with a year left, anything is possible but Ekblad can block a trade with his NMC which opens up July '24.

Pierre Larouche

Jan 4, 2009
The Panthers don't have to trade him, plenty of money comes off the books after this season, and, while he's not the player he was projected to be, he's been serviceable.
With Bob playing like the greatest goalie in history- the Panthers could pay for pylons as d-men.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Hello Panthers? The Flames aren't sure if they can bring back all of their expiring contracts and might be doing a sell off for a youth movement. Any interest in a bunch of UFAs at damn good cap hits?

We know you loved the previous guys you acquired from us for your top 6.

You'd probably have the inside track in extending them for reasonable contracts (not necessarily pure rental options). We also probably have great pieces in shoring up your d corps, so maybe we have pieces that could be short+ long term options (if extended) for you there as well? He might waive if he has a few buddies on the roster over here...

Potential options:
- Lindholm
- Backlund
- Toffoli
- Dube (RFA)
- Hanifin
- Zadorov
- Tanev
- Vladar (2 years)
- Kylington (?)

Just spit balling. No idea what's going on with the Flames this coming season at all.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
see 1 of 2 paths, but not both in a larger package, adds on both sides

either
something around Panarin, 2.6x retained down to 9 per

this ^ addresses Cat desire to add at W
gives NY small cap relief now + slightly better long term structural cap positioning

other path is Trouba
Trouba very close $$ wise, slightly longer term

Rs happy to have Ekblad while he holds up, and if he breaks down, easier to LTIR or buy out. Eventual NY RD = Fox-Schnieder-Emberson/other, so stopgap is fine.

thoughts?
Option 1
FLA gets hit with more cap and term and an older player, doesn't get any compensation for it.

Option 2
FLA gets a similar dman, with a worse contract and older, doesn't get any compensation for it.

In both case NYR needs to add a sweetner.

And BTW, why trade him for Trouba and not burry Ekblad themselves on LTIR if he breaks down?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Option 1
FLA gets hit with more cap and term and an older player, doesn't get any compensation for it.

Option 2
FLA gets a similar dman, with a worse contract and older, doesn't get any compensation for it.

In both case NYR needs to add a sweetner.

And BTW, why trade him for Trouba and not burry Ekblad themselves on LTIR if he breaks down?
re: bread, I said "something around"
floor is open for discussion if FL has interest in Panarin

re: Trouba, I see yr pt, but this is closer
Ekblad has had multiple serious concussions already
Trouba is a bit more and is not ights out better, but while anything can happen to any player at any given time, I am not aware Trouba has same injury risk.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
re: bread, I said "something around"
floor is open for discussion if FL has interest in Panarin

re: Trouba, I see yr pt, but this is closer
Ekblad has had multiple serious concussions already
Trouba is a bit more and is not ights out better, but while anything can happen to any player at any given time, I am not aware Trouba has same injury risk.
Premise is to trade to get cap reliefe as per oP

If FLA wants cap relief they should keep Ekblad then as he either plays (so better than Trouba) or LTIR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad