Proposal: Edmonton - Ottawa - Buffalo

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
To Edmonton:
- Nick Paul (1.35m x 1)
- Michael Del Zotto (2.0 x 2)

IN: Paul, Del Zotto (3.35m YR 1, 2.0 YR 2)
OUT: Kassian, Turris, 3rd '23 (4.85m YR1, 3.2m YR 2 & 3)

Rationale: Edmonton gains 1.5m in cap this year, 1.2m next year, and 3.2m the following year. Del Zotto provides depth at a high price, which is offset by offloading Turris + Kassian while getting Paul at a low cap-hit. Paul can play up and down the lineup and solidify a bottom 6 shutdown line. Big, strong LW who excels along the boards, down low, plays a possession game, and can take a lot of face-offs.

To Ottawa:
- Zack Kassian (3.2m x 3)
- Cody Eakin (2.25m x 1)
- Robert Haag (1.6m x 1)
- EDM 3rd 2023

IN: Kassian, Haag, Eakin, 3rd '23 (7.05mm YR1, 3.2m YR 2 & 3)
OUT: Paul, Del Zotto, Tierney (6.85m YR 1, 2.0m YR 2)

Rationale: Ottawa adds Kassian & Haag, who fits their style to a tee. Kassian is owed less salary than his cap-hit and fills a position of weakness at RW. Ottawa takes on some salary, but not much when you consider that Kassian is only owed about 7.2m over the next 3 years (Haag is owed about 955k, Eakin about 1.4m, for a total of about 9.6m), whereas Paul, Tierney & Del Zotto are owed a combined 6.5m over the next ~1.75yrs (plus, lets assume, $1m that would otherwise be used to fill Kassian's roster spot in yr 3).

To Buffalo:
- Kyle Turris (1.65m x 1)
- Chris Tierney (3.5m x 1)
- William Lagesson (0.75m, RFA)

IN: Tierney, Turris, Lagesson (5.9m x 1)
OUT: Eakin, Haag (3.75m x 1)

Rationale: Buffalo adds a couple of centermen, Lagesson replaces Haag and is an RFA, meaning he can likely be retained for close to his current deal. Tierney can likely be flipped at the deadline for a mid-rounder, and possibly Turris with retention.

Who says no? My immediate thought is Buffalo could use more incentive, although I don't think much and am not sure where it would come from.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Interesting idea. From a Buffalo perspective, Lageson being a LHD is the first issue I would see since they have a glut in the near-term on the left with some players either in Buffalo (Dahlin, their best all-around defenseman this year in Bryson) and those likely to be graduating into roster spots (Samuelsson and Power).

If they had destinations in mind for Tierney or Turris, that also probably could work. Tierney seems like the more moveable of the two, have been a fan since he was in San Jose. Turris... eh, not so sure there is a market there but maybe someone kicks a super late round pick out for him at the deadline since his deal is expiring.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Done from Edmonton point of view but I doubt Ottawa would do it . Buffalo doesn't have a cheap owner but I think the decline as well ,

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I don't see why Buffalo would do this instead of just flipping Eakin and Hagg for whatever futures we can get for them directly. This just seems to be adding an expensive middle step where there doesn't need to be one.

I guess Lagesson is supposed to be the incentive? But, as @Chainshot pointed out, we don't need LHD. We've already got Dahlin, Bryson, Power, Samuelsson, and Johnson there.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't see why Buffalo would do this instead of just flipping Eakin and Hagg for whatever futures we can get for them directly. This just seems to be adding an expensive middle step where there doesn't need to be one.

I guess Lagesson is supposed to be the incentive? But, as @Chainshot pointed out, we don't need LHD. We've already got Dahlin, Bryson, Power, Samuelsson, and Johnson there.

It just shuffles the chairs in Buffalo and then they have to find homes for Tierney and Turris. Seems like additional work to wind up with similar end result to what they would get if they just move Eakin and Hagg for draft picks, even if those are 4th/5th round type picks.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
It just shuffles the chairs in Buffalo and then they have to find homes for Tierney and Turris. Seems like additional work to wind up with similar end result to what they would get if they just move Eakin and Hagg for draft picks, even if those are 4th/5th round type picks.

All fair. Part of it is, as you said, shuffling the decks. Part of it is also my assumption that Tierney would a) return the most of the group and b) could find a fit in Buffalo. Basically, I could see Buffalo finding two short-term fits in Tierney and Lagesson, and potentially leveraging Tierney into something somewhat valuable. Understood why that isn't incentive enough, though.

Maybe it needs more to Buffalo and more from Edmonton in order to work. I know people are saying Ottawa would need more, but I think they would view Kassian as a semi-valuable piece.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
To Edmonton:
- Nick Paul (1.35m x 1)
- Michael Del Zotto (2.0 x 2)

IN: Paul, Del Zotto (3.35m YR 1, 2.0 YR 2)
OUT: Kassian, Turris, 3rd '23 (4.85m YR1, 3.2m YR 2 & 3)

Rationale: Edmonton gains 1.5m in cap this year, 1.2m next year, and 3.2m the following year. Del Zotto provides depth at a high price, which is offset by offloading Turris + Kassian while getting Paul at a low cap-hit. Paul can play up and down the lineup and solidify a bottom 6 shutdown line. Big, strong LW who excels along the boards, down low, plays a possession game, and can take a lot of face-offs.

To Ottawa:
- Zack Kassian (3.2m x 3)
- Cody Eakin (2.25m x 1)
- Robert Haag (1.6m x 1)
- EDM 3rd 2023

IN: Kassian, Haag, Eakin, 3rd '23 (7.05mm YR1, 3.2m YR 2 & 3)
OUT: Paul, Del Zotto, Tierney (6.85m YR 1, 2.0m YR 2)

Rationale: Ottawa adds Kassian & Haag, who fits their style to a tee. Kassian is owed less salary than his cap-hit and fills a position of weakness at RW. Ottawa takes on some salary, but not much when you consider that Kassian is only owed about 7.2m over the next 3 years (Haag is owed about 955k, Eakin about 1.4m, for a total of about 9.6m), whereas Paul, Tierney & Del Zotto are owed a combined 6.5m over the next ~1.75yrs (plus, lets assume, $1m that would otherwise be used to fill Kassian's roster spot in yr 3).

To Buffalo:
- Kyle Turris (1.65m x 1)
- Chris Tierney (3.5m x 1)
- William Lagesson (0.75m, RFA)

IN: Tierney, Turris, Lagesson (5.9m x 1)
OUT: Eakin, Haag (3.75m x 1)

Rationale: Buffalo adds a couple of centermen, Lagesson replaces Haag and is an RFA, meaning he can likely be retained for close to his current deal. Tierney can likely be flipped at the deadline for a mid-rounder, and possibly Turris with retention.

Who says no? My immediate thought is Buffalo could use more incentive, although I don't think much and am not sure where it would come from.

Teams that are not making the playoffs have zero reason to acquire any UFAs unless it is a cap dump in selling off another piece for futures. Way too many UFAs in this proposal. If they weren't going to sign them the teams would just sell them off for picks and/or prospects.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Teams that are not making the playoffs have zero reason to acquire any UFAs unless it is a cap dump in selling off another piece for futures. Way too many UFAs in this proposal. If they weren't going to sign them the teams would just sell them off for picks and/or prospects.

I promise you, Ottawa is not sending out any players without getting replacements. Teams who aren't making the playoffs acquire UFAs all the time, especially when they are giving up essentially nothing.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
All fair. Part of it is, as you said, shuffling the decks. Part of it is also my assumption that Tierney would a) return the most of the group and b) could find a fit in Buffalo. Basically, I could see Buffalo finding two short-term fits in Tierney and Lagesson, and potentially leveraging Tierney into something somewhat valuable. Understood why that isn't incentive enough, though.

Maybe it needs more to Buffalo and more from Edmonton in order to work. I know people are saying Ottawa would need more, but I think they would view Kassian as a semi-valuable piece.

Things have gotten a little cluttered in Buffalo down the middle. Thompson has been surprisingly good in the middle. Cozens has been unsurprisingly good in the middle. Then there is a menagerie that includes Mittelstadt (injured, thanks Gallagher), Krebs (up, thanks COVID) for offensive types and then the mish-mash of Asplund/Girgensons/Eakin and sometimes Routsalainen all churning around for the other spots. Tierney sticking might allow them to upgrade over Eakin for now, but with his contract also set to expire, it seems more likely they would move him for whatever future pieces they can.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I feel like Ottawa should be compensated more for taking on that atrocious Kassian contract tbh

Is it that bad, or just that bad for Edmonton/a cap-strapped team? Highly physical ~30pt player who does all his scoring at ES and mostly plays with other 3rd line players. I think Ottawa would view him as a moderate asset at $3.2m.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Absolutely from Edmonton. I don't know much about MDZ but him at 2million doesn't seem far off of Kass at 3.2

If the Oilers could re-sign Nick Paul this would be awesome for us. I'd include a pick too. Hell you could take out Turris and add a prospect if it tickles your fancy.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
I promise you, Ottawa is not sending out any players without getting replacements. Teams who aren't making the playoffs acquire UFAs all the time, especially when they are giving up essentially nothing.

So you think teams that are not going to make the playoffs are going to try and improve their team by trading for UFAs so they get worse odds of landing Shane Wright.

I promise you they are not. As you can see from the replies it favors Edmonton and no one else.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
So you think teams that are not going to make the playoffs are going to try and improve their team by trading for UFAs so they get worse odds of landing Shane Wright.

I promise you they are not. As you can see from the replies it favors Edmonton and no one else.

I promise you, very very much, that Ottawa will look for NHL-capable players if they trade NHL-capable players.

Last two year, impending UFAs acquired by non-playoff teams:
- Gagner
- Frolik
- Simmonds
- Scandella
- Brodziak
- Schaller
- Barabanov
- Pateryn
- Hinostroza
- Galchenyuk
- Amadio
- Irwin
- Claesson

You are talking out of your ass dude. You realize they can also still flip UFAs, right? We're 1/3rd through the season. Teams also don't tend to actively tank. Anyways, I've noted your critique and am taking it to heart!

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
As a Sens fan this seems like something theyd do. It blocks the kids from playing, it worsens our odds at Wright, we deal 3 UFAs for 1 pick, its the exact opposite of what we should be doing.
Kids aren't being blocked from playing, and we could flip the UFAs we add. What on earth do you think MDZ, Paul and Tierney are going to return??? Paul is the only one with any real value. I probably undervalued him by a bit, but not significantly.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
I promise you, very very much, that Ottawa will look for NHL-capable players if they trade NHL-capable players.

Last two year, impending UFAs acquired by non-playoff teams:
- Gagner
- Frolik
- Simmonds
- Scandella
- Brodziak
- Schaller
- Barabanov
- Pateryn
- Hinostroza
- Galchenyuk
- Amadio
- Irwin
- Claesson

You are talking out of your ass dude. You realize they can also still flip UFAs, right? We're 1/3rd through the season. Teams also don't tend to actively tank. Anyways, I've noted your critique and am taking it to heart!

Are you serious with this list? Thats the ah ha moment? Most of these guys are pure garbage or in the case of Barabanov never really cracked an NHL lineup. Gagner was a throw in for Anthanasiou trade. Same with Gally Dzingel trade, Schaller in the toffoli trade. Most of these guys don't even play in the NHL anymore.

Your list is as bad as your trade proposal.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Kids aren't being blocked from playing, and we could flip the UFAs we add. What on earth do you think MDZ, Paul and Tierney are going to return??? Paul is the only one with any real value. I probably undervalued him by a bit, but not significantly.

If you are an Ottawa fan trade Paul separately and you will get more value. He is by far the best player on the best contract in this trade proposal.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Are you serious with this list? Thats the ah ha moment? Most of these guys are pure garbage or in the case of Barabanov never really cracked an NHL lineup. Gagner was a throw in for Anthanasiou trade. Same with Gally Dzingel trade, Schaller in the toffoli trade. Most of these guys don't even play in the NHL anymore.

Your list is as bad as your trade proposal.

Yes, and the UFAs in question are all throw-ins. The only valuable pieces in this deal are Paul and a 3rd.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Oilers picking up Del Zotto makes 0 sense we’ve got too many LHD as it is hence Lagesson wanting a trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad