Value of: Edmonton 1st+1 forward prospect+1D prospect+cap dump

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Looking for the following package of assets .

Top 6 Winger , upgrade on D and back up goalie

Make your offers
The D has to either be a legit #1, or a 1st or 2nd pair right shooting powerplay puck mover.

Our available cap dumps are Sekera, Russell, and Lucic, but all of them have the Chiarelli special (NT or NM clauses).

Reactions: TrentonF

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The D has to either be a legit #1, or a 1st or 2nd pair right shooting powerplay puck mover.

Our available cap dumps are Sekera, Russell, and Lucic, but all of them have the Chiarelli special (NT or NM clauses).
Wait, so the deal is:

From Edmonton:
2018 1st (7-10 overall)
Forward prospect
Defensive prospect
Cap dump

From other team:
Top pairing defenseman
Top 6 winger
Back-up goalie

Unless I'm misreading this, that seems kind of nuts.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Wait, so the deal is:

From Edmonton:
2018 1st (7-10 overall)
Forward prospect
Defensive prospect
Cap dump

From other team:
Top pairing defenseman
Top 6 winger
Back-up goalie

Oilers are offering a chance to really go ALL IN on your rebuild. These opportunities dont come around very often!

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

The the NTC make it a tough go . But I am bored with out the Oilers in the playoffs so trying to get my Oilers fix

Reactions: 7even

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Wait, so the deal is:

From Edmonton:
2018 1st (7-10 overall)
Forward prospect
Defensive prospect
Cap dump

From other team:
Top pairing defenseman
Top 6 winger
Back-up goalie

You misread what he said . He said top pairing or 2nd paring . As the OP I was thinking more a #3D PPQB RS

I think a package of

1st
Yamamoto
Jones
Sekera who could bounce back and I expect him to but if we are adding a D he is most likely the D you move to open up a spot

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You misread what he said . He said top pairing or 2nd paring . As the OP I was thinking more a #3D PPQB RS

I think a package of

1st
Yamamoto
Jones
Sekera who could bounce back and I expect him to but if we are adding a D he is most likely the D you move to open up a spot
Has decent value

A back up goalie isn't that costly to acquire . The D is the most costly part . But I think there good value in the package

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

I think a package of

1st
Yamamoto
Jones
Yeah, I did misread that. This still seems like a real hard sell though. That's two useful, established NHL players (two of them potentially "core" players), and the only NHL player coming back is the cap dump?

Maybe if the top-6 wing and the defenseman were veteran types from a team looking to rebuild?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yeah, I did misread that. This still seems like a real hard sell though. That's two useful, established NHL players (two of them potentially "core" players), and the only NHL player coming back is the cap dump?

Maybe if the top-6 wing and the defenseman were veteran types from a team looking to rebuild?
It is a hard sell, and its likely going to have to involve multiple moves rather than one. I expect Chiarelli to trade our 1st round pick for the right d-man, trade one of our d-men (probably Klefbom, as sad as that is) for a scoring winger, not do a damn thing about a backup (even though he needs to), and strike out trying to sign a winger like Grabner because we don't have the space to pay him.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Agree on your first two needs but I'd change the back up goalie to a starting goalie.
beggers cant be choosers. Talbot will have to do as starter in EDM unless Chia finds a way to dump Lucic\Sekera contracts on someone

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

I think a package of

1st
Yamamoto
Jones

The issue is you are targeting positions a lot of rebuilding teams need, all the while focusing the package based around pieces to drop further into a rebuild. Every team in the league wants to make a trade like that to get into the playoffs. Unless there are extenuating circumstances pushing those positions out of the door generally they are not traded. If they are traded they are generally traded in hockey trades. You can maybe focus on a Yamamoto + 1st area for Hoffman type of trade. You can also maybe focus on that sort of a trade to MTL for Pacioretty.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The issue is you are targeting positions a lot of rebuilding teams need, all the while focusing the package based around pieces to drop further into a rebuild. Every team in the league wants to make a trade like that to get into the playoffs. Unless there are extenuating circumstances pushing those positions out of the door generally they are not traded. If they are traded they are generally traded in hockey trades. You can maybe focus on a Yamamoto + 1st area for Hoffman type of trade. You can also maybe focus on that sort of a trade to MTL for Pacioretty.

I don’t see any scenario where a guy like Hoffman returns a top ten pick and Yamamoto. That’s an absolutely wild overpayment - hoffman only had 22 goals this past season and that’s with Erik Karlsson feeding him outlet passes.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
rebuilding teams would not be as willing to give up their 1st nor players like Yamamoto for short term improvement.
Chia is pretty much fired if he doesnt make the Oilers a 100pt team next year.

as for the ask for Myers, he wouldnt net WPG a top 10 pick for sure... 2nd + Benning\Prospect perhaps

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I don’t see any scenario where a guy like Hoffman returns a top ten pick and Yamamoto. That’s an absolutely wild overpayment - hoffman only had 22 goals this past season and that’s with Erik Karlsson feeding him outlet passes.

While I agree, what I'm getting at is there are very few teams that wan to push back further into a rebuild willingly during the offseason. Unless someone believes Yamamoto is NHL ready and the Oilers pick is someone who contribute closer to their time frame it's tough to make a trade like that. Buffalo maybe could as well but I don't see any way they ship out a d man.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I really don't think there's a point in imagining the Oilers trading Sekera. He had a down year and that's mostly because he missed a good part of the start of the season due to injury. He'll be a much better player next year and his value will go back up after that and it might make sense to ask him to waive his NMC then.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Quick fixes and trading their top winger prospects seems counter productive. They need cheap controlled players.

Trading their first is folly.

Chiapet will probably burn their future to save his job but with their Cap situation I think that's a big mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad