Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Tyson Barrie signs with the Oilers (1 year, $3.75M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I think points-wise Darnell Nurse is actually pretty great at 5v5 scoring. D scoring always pops up on the PP but the Oilers don't use their PP points much. I'm not saying it couldn't be improved, the D needs a makeover, but I wouldn't say "points" is what I'm going for.
Nusre was among the top 10 or close to the 5th dman in ES scoring. He is still coming along. It's hilarious. It's like there is a rule that you have to go get this type of player first or that type of player. A puck mover is a BIG need on the Oilers.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Draisaitl has a garbage DEC and was still a PLUS player 5 on 5. Him and McDavid do have gaffs sometimes, but what they produce upfront far outweighs that. It's the enttie collection of forwards that needs to help out more. I think this CHI series was a good kick in the a** for sure. I don't know what more those two can do? When you are literally in on 70% or 69% of your entire teams goals, you do end up cheating a bit because nobody else does f*** all to support you.
A few notes on your post:

1. Draisaitl was not a + player. He was in fact the first player in over 30 years to win the art ross and not be a + player.

2. You are correct on the issue of depth scoring causing those guys to cheat offensively I think. But the fact remains you need them to play both ends.

3. Of course their offense makes up for their poor defensive play, but I'd argue McDavid should be the biggest win driver in the league based on both his talent and his contract. In my opinion he isn't that.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Yes, Edmonton has so much to envious about, with the Rocky Mountains so close and that big mall right? Could make an awesome dvd about it.
I have been catching up on this thread and this guys fear just oozes out of the screen lol. Relax man. Oilers already tarred and feathered the Flames a few times without Barrie...

Reactions: DropTheGloves

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Barrie was so bad for the Leafs that they played him 22 minutes a night while he led their blueline in scoring (including 25 5v5 points which was top 15 in the NHL for D)

Avs fan here.

I was critical of Barrie while he was on the Avs but the guy is one of the most offensively talented Dmen in the league and fantastic at carrying the puck. He will be dynamic on the Oilers PP. We just didn't need him anymore and he Was redundant with Makar and Girard.

He is absolutely horrendous in his own zone and infront of the net and will have to be paired with a very solid stay at home Dman. I'm not sure Edm has a guy to pair him with ti shelter his defensive deficiencies.

But for that money it's a no brainer. Barrie is going to a team full of offense and not worried about D. He should put up 40-45 points if he gets PP1 minutes and will look to rebuild his image and sign a bigger deal nwxt year.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton

1. Draisaitl was not a + player. He was in fact the first player in over 30 years to win the art ross and not be a + player.

2. You are correct on the issue of depth scoring causing those guys to cheat offensively I think. But the fact remains you need them to play both ends.

3. Of course their offense makes up for their poor defensive play, but I'd argue McDavid should be the biggest win driver in the league based on both his talent and his contract. In my opinion he isn't that.
I was talking ES. Also, Drai was on the ice for 9/10 empty net goals. That is a factor. Anyways, there is absolutely nothing negative about adding a puck mover. Not everydman has to be a Peitro back there, You need a mix and balance. We don't have a good balance still, but Rome was not built overnight.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
On the topic at hand. Barrie was a good, low risk signing for Holland. Good value for sure. That said, you need someone to play the tough Klefbom minutes. That will be critical to not wasting another year of a generational talent.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I was talking ES. Also, Drai was on the ice for 9/10 empty net goals. That is a factor. Anyways, there is absolutely nothing negative about adding a puck mover. Not everydman has to be a Peitro back there, You need a mix and balance. We don't have a good balance still, but Rome was not built overnight.
+/- only factors even strength.

You're right. Barrie was a good add. You need one hard minutes guy still I think. I like what Holland has done this off-season. He's filling as many holes as he can with short term flexible deals. You can also flip Barrie at the tdl if the season goes sideways for a 2nd rounder I would think.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

The Oilers did have a top 10 GA in 2017 season with McDavid and Draisaitl leading the way.

The problem was Chiarelli was a moron and gutted the offensive depth of the team to the point where it was a 1 line team and the coaches refused to break up the 1 line.

Now Holland has started to rebuild the offensive support so I think McDavid and Draisaitl don't have to feel like they must carry the entire offense and things I suspect will normalize.

When only one line scores and the score in the game is 0-1 or 2-3 you have to push to score. Thank goodness Chia is gone.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He was a plus player at 5-on-5 and even strength. He finished -7 overall because he was -4 when a team had an empty net and -10 when a team scored a shorthanded goal.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He was a plus player at 5-on-5 and even strength. He finished -6 overall because he was -4 when a team had an empty net and -10 when a team scored a shorthanded goal.
Ah ok. I see what you're saying. I know he got caved in big time 5 on 5 when he wasn't playing with RNH. RNH is a very underrated defensive player. I maintain my point that your two stars need to be better 5 on 5 to win.

And I get the argument that they cheat because there's no depth. But that doesn't help you win games. It just helps them win individual trophies. Part of the reason the team lacks depth is depth is hard to get when you have a couple of bad contracts and 2 guys combining for 21 million in cap.

Reactions: zar and Del Preston

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Huge Tyson Barrie fan. 3.75 is a fricken steal.
I will say that if Tippett doesn’t allow Barrie to skate the puck, and instead wants him to be a glorified puck pusher to mcdavid & drai, gonna be a bad time

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Ah ok. I see what you're saying. I know he got caved in big time 5 on 5 when he wasn't playing with RNH. RNH is a very underrated defensive player. I maintain my point that your two stars need to be better 5 on 5 to win.

And I get the argument that they cheat because there's no depth. But that doesn't help you win games. It just helps them win individual trophies. Part of the reason the team lacks depth is depth is hard to get when you have a couple of bad contracts and 2 guys combining for 21 million in cap.
Holland and the coaching staff met after the Dec. 27 game when the Flames embarrassed the Oilers. That was when they decided to call up Yamamoto and put Draisaitl on his own line. Him + McDavid together at 5-on-5 were -12 in December.

I agree there needs to be more defensive commitment from both players. They both got better when they were on their own lines. Hopefully the play-in vs Chicago and seeing how Toews played helps them.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Holland and the coaching staff met after the Dec. 27 game when the Flames embarrassed the Oilers. That was when they decided to call up Yamamoto and put Draisaitl on his own line. Him + McDavid together at 5-on-5 were -12 in December.

I agree there needs to be more defensive commitment from both players. They both got better when they were on their own lines. Hopefully the play-in vs Chicago and seeing how Toews played helps them.

Its partly the coaching staffs fault for not wanting to break up the line. The Oilers always should have played the Pittsburgh style setup.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hilarious seeing all the Leafs fans in here who a year ago were claiming they won the Kadri trade and also thought Kerfoot was basically as good as Kadri. Now after one season of watching Barrie they're the experts on him and act like people in the West didn't see him for years in Colorado. He's always had some defensive shortcomings but he's elite offensively and is exactly what Edmonton needs.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It’s a guy who signed a one year deal on an up and coming team, this is his “I’ll show the league what I can do” contract. It could be 1yr/10 million and it still wouldn’t be that bad of a contract.... why? Because it’s for a single season and it’s most likely a shortened season at that. He knows that if he can’t look good playing with McDavid/Draisaitl that he’s pretty much done in this league

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
Not surprise he went to edm, best chance to big money after next season. Playing on PP with 2 of the best forward in the game

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
The Oilers did have a top 10 GA in 2017 season with McDavid and Draisaitl leading the way.

The problem was Chiarelli was a moron and gutted the offensive depth of the team to the point where it was a 1 line team and the coaches refused to break up the 1 line.

Now Holland has started to rebuild the offensive support so I think McDavid and Draisaitl don't have to feel like they must carry the entire offense and things I suspect will normalize.

When only one line scores and the score in the game is 0-1 or 2-3 you have to push to score. Thank goodness Chia is gone.

Yeah, it's almost as if people forget that Chia happened to this team or had a great time either pulling their hair out or laughing hysterically at the idiotic moves he made and this was just at the tail end of last year that he was fired. Holland just ridding the Oilers of Lucic was a miracle in itself.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
While the cap hit is great, he doesn't improve the Oilers with their big issues, which is defence and goaltending. They don't struggle to score so Barrie doens't move the needle a lot on that, and he is decently bad in his own end. Also, they bring back Smith, which might as well be a white flag raising moment for them, on top of Kenny even talking to Jimmy Howard before the Smith re-signing.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
While the cap hit is great, he doesn't improve the Oilers with their big issues, which is defence and goaltending. They don't struggle to score so Barrie doens't move the needle a lot on that, and he is decently bad in his own end. Also, they bring back Smith, which might as well be a white flag raising moment for them, on top of Kenny even talking to Jimmy Howard before the Smith re-signing.
Well Tyson Barrie quite clearly helps with defense.

For goaltending what they had to do is play Koskinen more. Koskinen .917 Smith .902 but they played Smith more than Koskinen. That's the issue.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Hilarious seeing all the Leafs fans in here who a year ago were claiming they won the Kadri trade and also thought Kerfoot was basically as good as Kadri. Now after one season of watching Barrie they're the experts on him and act like people in the West didn't see him for years in Colorado. He's always had some defensive shortcomings but he's elite offensively and is exactly what Edmonton needs.
Hes trash. Keep telling yourself he isn’t tho lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad