Proposal: EDM/SEA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Hello Krakheads,

Looking ahead a bit to the trade deadline, I think these two teams could be a good fit with each other. Edmonton still needs to shore up a little bit on the wing and on LD, and I think Seattle will be after draft capital.

Is this offer within the realm of reason if Seattle doesn't have a shot at the playoffs this year:

To Edmonton

LD Carson Soucy (1 year at 2.75 after this year)
C/W Mason Appleton (RFA after this year)

To Seattle

2022 1st round pick
2023 3rd round pick
C Kyle Turris (UFA after this year)

If not, what else does Edmonton need to add?

Reactions: ujju2

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Seattle could likely do just as well picks wise for Soucy and Appleton without eating a cap dump.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Hello Krakheads,

Looking ahead a bit to the trade deadline, I think these two teams could be a good fit with each other. Edmonton still needs to shore up a little bit on the wing and on LD, and I think Seattle will be after draft capital.

Is this offer within the realm of reason if Seattle doesn't have a shot at the playoffs this year:

To Edmonton

To Seattle

2022 1st round pick
2023 3rd round pick

You read my mind, I actually started and stopped another proposed trade as an all-in deal for Edmonton. I wanted Eberle and Dunn as well, but could not find a way to include them under the cap.

I think your trade is probably slanted in Seattle's favor. Neither of those players is worth a 1st. People will probably complain anyway.

Seattle could likely do just as well picks wise for Soucy and Appleton without eating a cap dump.

Yup, there it is.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

A quarter season of a 1.6 million cap hit which 2/3 of can be buried? Most contenders are going to need cap space to make additions. Turris is about as easy a cap dump there is to absorb.

Reactions: ujju2 and Ragdoll

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I could see this as a basis of a trade for sure, I think the value is pretty close to reality and if Seattle doesn't want to eat Turris's salary I'm sure Edmonton wouldn't have much of a problem attaching a small add to someone else to take him

Just because I'm a Devils fan let say for the sake of argument the Oilers send Turris + 3rd 2023 to NJ for future considerations
Then makes the Seattle trade with Benson in it instead of Turris so its a 1st+3rd in 2022 + Benson for Soucy and Appleton

Thoughts?

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I could see this as a basis of a trade for sure, I think the value is pretty close to reality and if Seattle doesn't want to eat Turris's salary I'm sure Edmonton wouldn't have much of a problem attaching a small add to someone else to take him

Just because I'm a Devils fan let say for the sake of argument the Oilers send Turris + 3rd 2023 to NJ for future considerations
Then makes the Seattle trade with Benson in it instead of Turris so its a 1st+3rd in 2022 + Benson for Soucy and Appleton

Thoughts?

Wouldn’t trade a 3rd to dump what remains of Turris 1.6 at the deadline. It’s like 400,000. A 4th is pushing it but likely doable to get a deal done.

Turris at the deadline might even be an option for waivers. A contender without cap space with a few injuries might pick him up for free.

Reactions: ujju2 and spaghtti

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013

Thoughts?
I think the draft pick going to NJ is too high, if the cap hit was higher and it was the start of the season you might be able to get a 3rd

also I doubt that the Oilers view Turris and Benson as being equal in value

Reactions: ujju2

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Not sure why taking back Turris is such a cause for commotion, it’s pretty much a given that a smaller contract like this needs to be involved in deals to make money work. He has a 1.65m cap hit and it expires at the end of the year, in what world would that cost a 3rd to trade?

Trade value is pretty good here though, seems like a fit for both teams.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I think the draft pick going to NJ is too high, if the cap hit was higher and it was the start of the season you might be able to get a 3rd

also I doubt that the Oilers view Turris and Benson as being equal in value

Ya I missed the deadline part of the OP. So a 3rd might be too high, as for Benson vs Turris neither player is in the Oilers long term plans and would be expendable

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Appleton is a way better player than most people realize. He's a target I have for the Flames. I would guess he comes close to returning a 1st alone. Probably similar for Soucy.

Both players would be good fits in Edmonton. So naturally I'm opposed to it.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Appleton may have upside, but he's not the deadline acquisition we need for the 3C slot. Does he bring much more than McCleod at this stage?

Soucy on the other hand could be a great add for the back end for now and the future.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Appleton is a way better player than most people realize. He's a target I have for the Flames. I would guess he comes close to returning a 1st alone. Probably similar for Soucy.

Both players would be good fits in Edmonton. So naturally I'm opposed to it.

I’m counting on Seattle not really knowing what they have there, he’s very good but because he’s been hurt maybe they’re not fully aware of that.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
In a vacuum the value is fair. I just don't think Seattle wants to trade a 25 and 27 year old who they probably see as nice pieces moving forward. So I don't think they would want to move them for futures, they probably prefer to move older players and pending UFA's. So guys like Jankrok, Johansson and Giordano for picks would be more realistic.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
Ya I missed the deadline part of the OP. So a 3rd might be too high, as for Benson vs Turris neither player is in the Oilers long term plans and would be expendable
Who said Benson isn’t part of the long term plan, he is young and was protected in the expansion draft

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Who said Benson isn’t part of the long term plan, he is young and was protected in the expansion draft
No he wasn't.

Benson is more likely to hit waivers than be part of the Oilers long term plan at this point.

IIxGURUxII

Jul 19, 2018
Hello Krakheads,

To Edmonton

To Seattle

2022 1st round pick
2023 3rd round pick

A wee expensive.. but I'd do this everyday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad