GDT: EDM Oilers @ STL Blues 6pm CST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Perfect. There is no better example of the fragility of fandom than this. This is why I grow to hate every team I live near. This is why I dislike our fanbase more than any other. Because I get exposed to crazy comments like this. How can hearing true things about other teams make you so mad? How can being educated on the strengths of opposing teams you may not watch as much make you hate a person? It doesn't take away from our team at all if you recognize that the other team has some really good players too. It is the color commentator's job to fill you in on all aspects of the game, not to pump the tires of the home team.

I’m neither fragile nor have anything personal against Panger. He doesn’t occasionally find something objective to say. He plays devils advocate after almost every whistle or pause by JK.

So because I don’t want to hear it 50 times every game you hate the Blues? Obviously you’re entitled to any emotions you want but that’s pretty weird to me.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I agree with this. I want the Blues to get help on D as soon as possible, but moving too many parts simultaneously is potentially disastrous.

DA has to be scientific in his approach to solving the D issue by controlling as many variables as possible and then making precise moves, not wholesale moves. One problem with that is that we are not working all of our variables (regular players), which is why the FO appears to be a little slow.

DA has to be cautious.

Let's get Sunny, Schenn and Krug back and see how Perunovich fits in and then let's see if Mikkola can get his head out of his ass.

Then we will know what's up.

I will reiterate that Doug Armstrong needs to be his absolute most prudent Machiavelli.

I agree, and there really is no rush to make any major move right now. We are hanging in there with a depleted roster and important vets like ROR and Perron aren't even contributing that much.

For all the talk about our defensive woes, how much of it is the fault of our 6 d-men compared to overall team defense? There have been some mistakes by d-men but I've also seen plenty of missed coverage by forwards coming back late. If they're gonna get back to Blues-style defense, we need everyone to be on the same page at both ends of the ice and putting as much effort in our own zone as the offensive zone. Even ROR admitted that he's been far from his best, and the same could be said about many others. The team knows they need to tighten up on D and I expect that they will.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I agree, and there really is no rush to make any major move right now. We are hanging in there with a depleted roster and important vets like ROR and Perron aren't even contributing that much.

For all the talk about our defensive woes, how much of it is the fault of our 6 d-men compared to overall team defense? There have been some mistakes by d-men but I've also seen plenty of missed coverage by forwards coming back late. If they're gonna get back to Blues-style defense, we need everyone to be on the same page at both ends of the ice and putting as much effort in our own zone as the offensive zone. Even ROR admitted that he's been far from his best, and the same could be said about many others. The team knows they need to tighten up on D and I expect that they will.
Even Kyrou has been slow to get back. Razzle dazzle, bro, but get back and help out, FFS!!

Reactions: Reality Czech

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Perfect. There is no better example of the fragility of fandom than this. This is why I grow to hate every team I live near. This is why I dislike our fanbase more than any other. Because I get exposed to crazy comments like this. How can hearing true things about other teams make you so mad? How can being educated on the strengths of opposing teams you may not watch as much make you hate a person? It doesn't take away from our team at all if you recognize that the other team has some really good players too. It is the color commentator's job to fill you in on all aspects of the game, not to pump the tires of the home team.
Dood, chill.

While I disagree with @Spektre opinion on Pang, feeling "exposed" is a little extreme. Exposed to what? Someone's opinion on social media immersed in a stream of consciousness during a great game?

I really don't mean to come down hard on you, Majority guy, but it ain't nothin' but a thing. Shrug it off and give others the space to express.

Sounds like you had a rough night.

Reactions: Zezel’s Pretzels

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
ya i aint got the numbers but if they do try to send him down ... i can see kostin going back to the khl ..... why would you go back down ? he won over there
I don’t think that happens, but if it does then I am not particularly concerned about losing him.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Even Kyrou has been slow to get back. Razzle dazzle, bro, but get back and help out, FFS!!

Young guys like Kyrou and Thomas are still learning how to play a 200-foot game, which will take time. Plus with all the new players, ROR not at 100% and missing one of our best defensive forwards in Sundqvist maybe it's not a surprise that the team has been a bit sloppy in their own end.

Of course the d-men can be better, but it takes all 5 guys working together to defend effectively. With past Blues teams everyone knew exactly where to be, but this current team plays a lot more fast and loose. It makes for exciting, high-scoring hockey but I doubt Chief is too pleased about it.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

CraftyVeteran

Lunatic
Apr 15, 2017
So does that mean Martin Jones is an elite goalie because he's throwing out a .931 sv% and 2.27 gaa? What about Markstrom posting .935 sv% and 1.81 gaa? You can have your opinion on Binnington, but I don't think you know what cherry picking stats means. While I don't think Binnington's an elite goalie, I think he's an above average goalie who can win you some games you're not supposed to win. Having said that, you're going to have some real problems when you find out who has been leading the league in sv% and gaa since 2018-2019. I know I don't have to tell you about it, but if you're curious, Binnington is still sitting real pretty at roughly 15th in both categories over that span, including tonight. And his stats prove my intuition about his playing, .915 sv% (a bit above average) and 2.46 gaa (nearly top 10 over that span). So even by using your cherry picked stats, he comes out as an above average goalie. NOT ELITE, but definitely better than half the league's starters.

Edit: Holy shit, I was using naturalstattrick, but NHL.com has those numbers integrated so they look even better when you get rid of inactive goalies.
I have a battery of stats. You, like the rest of the thin skinned Blues fans, take one stat without context and try to convince the world one stat is the complete picture while using my argument of context when you provide none. Dear god in heaven people, learn how to argue. I can't keep repeating myself. Every single poster here, used one stat. ONE to make their argument. I gave an entire picture. He's average. Always will be. You can cry yourself to sleep at night on your Jesus Binninigton pillow, but my opinion is, based off of the stats I see for this season (please I beg of you to read each word carefully) he is average. The team defense is average. You don't have to like it so stop crying.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I have a battery of stats. You, like the rest of the thin skinned Blues fans, take one stat without context and try to convince the world one stat is the complete picture while using my argument of context when you provide none. Dear god in heaven people, learn how to argue. I can't keep repeating myself. Every single poster here, used one stat. ONE to make their argument. I gave an entire picture. He's average. Always will be. You can cry yourself to sleep at night on your Jesus Binninigton pillow, but my opinion is, based off of the stats I see for this season (please I beg of you to read each word carefully) he is average. The team defense is average. You don't have to like it so stop crying.
Evidence argues otherwise.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Idk man, you seem real heated about this. All I did was provide stats from the time Binnington has come into the league until right this very second, mind you these were the stats YOU wanted to throw out, and they've disproved your own argument. I understand you enjoy the trolling, and a lot of people here might fall for it. But you're trying to troll a kid that grew up during the height of trolling in the 2010's and you're not gonna have me fall for it lmao Nice try buddy, but you're bad at it and just plain wrong.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Are you keeping them a secret?

So far you have cited SV% and GAA. And you haven't accurately cited his GAA any time you've referenced it. Remember when you said it was 3+? And then when you realized you were way off you claimed that his actual GAA was still bottom third in the league despite it being in the top half? So 50% of your statistical battery was just stuff you made up. The other is SV%, which you decribed as "middle of the pack" when it was 13th in the league.

You claim that you can't just keep repeating yourself, but so far all you've done is repeat the same narrative while providing none of the "battery of stats" you claim to have. Some lesson in arguments.

Last edited:

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The same guy who rails about unions in game day threads (unions gave us weekends) is saying things like “imagine this goaltender winning anything” and believes it’s not imbecilic on its face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad