Series Talk: ECSF: New York Rangers vs. Carolina Hurricanes (NYR Lead 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
According to the movies its their favorite pizza.

dominos-pizza-1024x654.jpg

They didn’t have jobs couldn’t afford the good stuff. :sarcasm:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I agree the format is dumb and this is an ECF worthy matchup but NYR, CAR, FLA, BOS were all clearly the top 4 teams in the east and they all could have been interchangeable in any order.

Look at the west. Just a lot of really good teams and then the teams in the next tier have a noticeable drop off.

Having a likely final 4 out west of COL, VAN, EDM, and then one of DAL/VGK is crazy as well.

Winnipeg was a really good team and got smoked. One of Dallas and Vegas aren’t going to move on. This year there were 10-12 legit really good teams that could have been contenders.

I’d be happy to go back to 1-8 or even 1-16 honestly. Don’t care about east west stuff at all. Go 2-3-2 in the playoffs

There was a brief period where teams could opt for 2-3-2 over 2-2-1-1-1, wanna say it was maybe 90-92 or so. I think most teams would always go for 2-2-1-1-1 but obviously if you had big travel the league would not do that

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Rangers in 7. Possibly 6 if they can steal at least one game in Carolina early. Shesterkin thrives in high SOG against situations, and that's really the style of game Carolina likes to play.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I mean I'll take Canes in 7 because that's usually a good bet...but it is hard to be too bullish on them without home ice advantage, and having lost to essentially the same team two years ago when they had Trocheck. Now they don't have Trochek and the Rangers do. Wow.

Unless Guentzal and Kuznetsov step up...maybe not.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
Was with you GIN ANTONIC until Bold part at end....

Have to agree with some of what Cuckoo4Kakko posted about last bold part. Was surprised to read this at end and had to chime in to see what caused that? Nothing personal here but just trying to understand mind-set. Can understand how fans feeling towards team/player could skew things somewhat, but not to point of accepting losing "The Prize". Just so ones favorite team can win against battle -vs- certain team, player, or whatnot.

This whole scenario reminds me of Auburn footballs behavior towards Bama football: Auburn live for that game 24/7 > 365 days year, it's their Superbowl, etc. Auburn can have their world crumbing or burning around them, but.... that's all OK, if they just beat Bama!!! Bama football has always had eyes on bigger prizes rather than just winning certain battles. Auburn is just a step on Bama's staircase to greatness!!! Two completely different mind-sets & culture = Two completely different history's

That's a "Champion": mind-set, having this helps create winning culture for players, coaches, and fans alike. X's & O's, stats, etc are interesting to me but mental part of sports is what intrigues me most. That's why your "Quote" caught my attention over others. Just having difficult time understanding this mind-set because one should not be happy winning individual battle, but OK with that, if it means losing war. Penny-wise and Dollar-foolish it is.... Maybe some NHL clubs are taking loved ones, and holding them hostage, like one would see during real war Thus, causing series-battles to become more important than the playoff-war for some. Are Boston/Leafs capturing Canes fans loved ones, and we're all not aware these events? j/k
100% agree on the Auburn vs Bama Iron Bowl match-up.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The rangers have the horsepower to handle the Canes. Feel Shesty blows it for the guys from the big city. Canes will be looking over their collective shoulders for the #73 freight train who will make an impact, but in the end my spider sense says Shesty blows it this series.

Any goalie can blow any series but he's been a very good playoff performer over his (albeit short) career.

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
I mean I'll take Canes in 7 because that's usually a good bet...but it is hard to be too bullish on them without home ice advantage, and having lost to essentially the same team two years ago when they had Trocheck. Now they don't have Trochek and the Rangers do. Wow.

Unless Guentzal and Kuznetsov step up...maybe not.
Trocheck is a beast. Not sure why he wasn't re-signed (his choice or Canes?) but so far he's outperforming his contract by a country mile.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Trocheck is a beast. Not sure why he wasn't re-signed (his choice or Canes?) but so far he's outperforming his contract by a country mile.

Our belief was that he was going to ask for a big raise that we couldn’t afford to pay him. But when he signed with the Rangers for as cheap as he did, that kind of went out the window.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Our belief was that he was going to ask for a big raise that we couldn’t afford to pay him. But when he signed with the Rangers for as cheap as he did, that kind of went out the window.
I'll raise my hand and say I was completely wrong in reading his UFA situation. I thought he would get 7 x $6.5-7.0 so the deal he signed with NYR was shocking. He's a really good swiss army knife player and he's probably fit in about as well as you could have expected in NY and is playing the best hockey of his career. There were times where he reached that level in Carolina but he wasn't consistent with it but he always brought heart, grit, and a high compete on the ice.

I do think that maybe the last couple years of the contract won't look great if he gets banged up and his skating takes a hit but he's a smart enough player that he will find ways to bring positives even if he's not putting up 70+ points. Also with the cap rising that AAV isn't going to be too much to worry about.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I'll raise my hand and say I was completely wrong in reading his UFA situation. I thought he would get 7 x $6.5-7.0 so the deal he signed with NYR was shocking. He's a really good swiss army knife player and he's probably fit in about as well as you could have expected in NY and is playing the best hockey of his career. There were times where he reached that level in Carolina but he wasn't consistent with it but he always brought heart, grit, and a high compete on the ice.

I do think that maybe the last couple years of the contract won't look great if he gets banged up and his skating takes a hit but he's a smart enough player that he will find ways to bring positives even if he's not putting up 70+ points. Also with the cap rising that AAV isn't going to be too much to worry about.

The other positive is his game is a tailor-made fit for a 3rd line role as he ages, while the Rangers have Filip Chytil looking like at least a 2C if he can stay healthy

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I agree the format is dumb and this is an ECF worthy matchup but NYR, CAR, FLA, BOS were all clearly the top 4 teams in the east and they all could have been interchangeable in any order.

Look at the west. Just a lot of really good teams and then the teams in the next tier have a noticeable drop off.

Having a likely final 4 out west of COL, VAN, EDM, and then one of DAL/VGK is crazy as well.

Winnipeg was a really good team and got smoked. One of Dallas and Vegas aren’t going to move on. This year there were 10-12 legit really good teams that could have been contenders.

I’d be happy to go back to 1-8 or even 1-16 honestly. Don’t care about east west stuff at all. Go 2-3-2 in the playoffs
Boston is going to lose in 7 to Toronto.

The Rangers had 114 points, Hurricanes 111, Panthers 110, Bruins 109.

Are we really going to pretend there's any real difference in the quality that these teams showed over 82 games?
Rangers, Canes, and Panthers are in a different class than the Bruins who are just the rich man's Islanders

StrmSurge

RBA sucks!
Mar 19, 2019
Walhalla, SC
Finally the heavyweight matchup , this is what I've been waiting for.

Won't say good luck because there's plenty of luck in hockey and we'll hold onto it this time around hopefully.

I will say I hope for clean hockey and no injuries. May the best team win (Canes.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad