Series Talk: ECSF: New York Rangers vs. Carolina Hurricanes (NYR Lead 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Shesterkin is good but I'll be a heretic and say Kochetkov made more of a difference in the result than he did.
Shesterkins best save was stick vs Staal.
Kochetkov had several poke check s and saves that to me were harder then Shesties
Also borne out by the hdsc's
And until the last 5 after the SHG NY definitely outplayed the Canes. Sure he got lots of numbers on cardboard Cutout saves.
And game 2 was better than game 3 as a Canes fan.
Agreed. Late last night I watched the NHL in 30 recap of this game. Almost every scoring chance they showed outside of the actual goals was a Rangers chance. Between shorthanded breakaways and 2 on 1s, Rangers made it much more difficult on Kochetkov than the Canes did on Shesterkin.

i'm devastated, truly, that DamonDRW thinks my team isn't dominant enough.
Lol. This is exactly who the Rangers are and who they've been all season. Doing just enough to keep winning and keep rolling. No lead is safe against them, and even if teams manage to tie it up, there's no panic. Rangers just keep doing their thing and coming out on top.

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
Nah wtf. This Canes roster I had winning the cup, loaded D, super balanced forward group.

Then every year they implode. What the actual f***
They don't really have a dominant forward group. They've got Guentzel in the deadline FA trade and he is providing most of the scoring + Kuzy. The rest of the forward group is "meh". Svechnikov is a cocky clown most of the nights who is looking to get his bell rung "Ovechkin style". Aho+Teravainen regressed - they were much better and dangerous 3 or 4 years ago.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Lol. Sorry the Rangers aren't as dominant as the Harlem Globetrotters when winning 7 straight postseason games. I agree, they’re downright pedestrian in comparison.
You shouldn't feel sorry, you are not my girlfriend.

Do you actually watch games? They are equal at best. You got the lucky rebounds, sticks in the traffic, etc. This series will be at at least 6 games.

this is all fair, i think

i'm devastated, truly, that DamonDRW thinks my team isn't dominant enough.
Emotions, man. This is what makes difference between humans and apes. Glad, you also can feel them.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Do you actually watch games? They are equal at best. You got the lucky rebounds, sticks in the traffic, etc. This series will be at at least 6 games.

Emotions, man. This is what makes difference between humans and apes. Glad, you also can feel them.
Equal at best? They are winning 3-0 in the playoffs and are 5-1 vs them this year if you include the regular season. You're right, that sounds equal

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
They are outshot by 40+ shots over 3 games. It is luck, believe me. Check the last few Cup winners, they've never had such streaks.
I believe you. There's no such thing as quality of shots. Shesterkin is lucky he managed to stop all those breakaways and 2 on 1s.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Rangers did well this year coming off long stretches of rest. Plus, players like Adam Fox could use the long rest since I think he's playing hurt from the knee-to-knee collision in the Caps series.
Fox was hot garbage for most of the game last night, it was truly shocking to see him look so bad.

Last edited:

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
They are outshot by 40+ shots over 3 games. It is luck, believe me. Check the last few Cup winners, they've never had such streaks.
I can't remember one time last night where I thought "Wow Shesterkin bailed us out there". The shots are so low danger its hilarious.

Rangers had multiple breakaways and 2-1s last night. I don't think the Canes had 1 of either.

Reactions: Tryamw

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Not exactly 40, but Tampa were outshot by the Canes by 25 over games 1 and 2 in 2021 (12.5 vs 13.3 S/G). Vegas were outshot by 29 over three games by the Oilers last year.

SOG tallying was a thing 10 years ago. Filipovic on the PDOcast repeatedly brings up how ironic it is that the analytics community complained for years that broadcasts didn't show the shot tallies at all times, yet by the time the broadcasters did so they've come to the conclusion that they may not only be irrelevant but even actively misleading. NHL goalies and people who work with them seem unanimous in that the new NHL is a nightmare for goalies compared with just a few years ago, why? Most teams no longer give them easy shots. They used to get 30 a night where 15-20 were routine saves and only 5 truly difficult ones. Nowadays they see 20 but 10 are dangerous, and without getting the rhythm from the easy ones it's harder to make the difficult saves as well.

The Canes are playing perfect 2010's hockey but are getting beat by one of the epitomes of 2020's hockey. I would be surprised if the Rangers' way of playing isn't heavily influenced by ClearSight's analytics, they are one of the best at both utilizing and preventing the royal road pass, while having little issue letting Shesterkin see a little rubber from the outside. Now, the Canes are amazing at 2010's hockey so the games are close but pointing at the shot clock and saying "Canes dominate, Rongos lucky" is just facile.

Tl;dr obnoxiously summarized by @huerter; "new meta"

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019

Lucky rebounds. wtf.

And the canes deflections and rebound goals were of the “unlucky” variety?

No one is questioning that these last two games could’ve gone the other way. They went to OT.

But one team executed (for the 7th straight time) and the other didn’t.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Not exactly 40, but Tampa were outshot by the Canes by 25 over games 1 and 2 in 2021 (12.5 vs 13.3 S/G). Vegas were outshot by 29 over three games by the Oilers last year.

SOG tallying was a thing 10 years ago. Filipovic on the PDOcast repeatedly brings up how ironic it is that the analytics community complained for years that broadcasts didn't show the shot tallies at all times, yet by the time the broadcasters did so they've come to the conclusion that they may not only be irrelevant but even actively misleading. NHL goalies and people who work with them seem unanimous in that the new NHL is a nightmare for goalies compared with just a few years ago, why? Most teams no longer give them easy shots. They used to get 30 a night where 15-20 were routine saves and only 5 truly difficult ones. Nowadays they see 20 but 10 are dangerous, and without getting the rhythm from the easy ones it's harder to make the difficult saves as well.

The Canes are playing perfect 2010's hockey but are getting beat by one of the epitomes of 2020's hockey. I would be surprised if the Rangers' way of playing isn't heavily influenced by ClearSight's analytics, they are one of the best at both utilizing and preventing the royal road pass, while having little issue letting Shesterkin see a little rubber from the outside. Now, the Canes are amazing at 2010's hockey so the games are close but pointing at the shot clock and saying "Canes dominate, Rongos lucky" is just facile.

Tl;dr obnoxiously summarized by @huerter; "new meta"
dudes trolling. don't bother

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad