Series Talk: ECSF-Florida Panthers vs Boston Bruins (FLA leads 3-2)

Who wins and in how many games

• Cats in 4

Votes: 28 4.6%
  • Cats in 5

Votes: 180 29.9%
  • Cats in 6

Votes: 221 36.7%
  • Cats in 7

Votes: 46 7.6%
  • Bruins in 4

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Bruins in 5

Votes: 11 1.8%
  • Bruins in 6

Votes: 59 9.8%
  • Bruins in 7

Votes: 52 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Oh I get why he said no, and why answering the bell isn't as easy as ringing it. And again it works for them so why would they change?
Barkov doesn't need to play that game, and wouldn't put our team at a disadvantage.

If telling Coyle let's play, and proceeding to lead his team to a victory is not answering the bell, then maybe the Bs should take a page from that book instead.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Barkov doesn't need to play that game, and wouldn't put our team at a disadvantage.

If telling Coyle let's play, and proceeding to lead his team to a victory is not answering the bell, the Bs should take a page from that book.
That's what I'm saying, it works for them why would they do anything different. I get why he said no, I also get why Coyle (who's not a fighter) and Marchand (who's the smallest guy on the ice for either team) asked after Pastrnak obliged Tkachuck.

Last edited:

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
That's what I'm saying, it works for them why would they do anything different.

If they were down big I'm sure we can all agree guys like him and Reinhart would answer the bell like Pastrnak did in game 2 or Lindholm did with Bennett.
Doubtful, like in game 1, we never stopped trying to win on the scoreboard. And those guys are defensive stoppers on top of the offensive plays.

But it is definently working for us so far, I agree.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I am mostly just glad we didn't get to round 2 so I didn't have to witness the Leafs getting bullied by the Panthers for 10 days. Panthers are dirty as f***, they played like this all season long knowing the whistles go away in the playoffs. It is infuriating to play against but god do I wish my team played like that.
leaf mentality that runs fron the core to the fans apparently

Glad to be out in the first round. Panther would have bullied us???. 🤣
Ok Mitch

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bruins have some adjustments they can make for Game 4, which is obviously a must win.

One adjustment is pretty simple and obvious.

The Bruins are getting completely hemmed in when Carlo or Forbort or Wotherspoon are on the ice. You can look at shots, scoring chances, Corsi, expected goals... whatever you want... those three guys are getting murdered in their own end the last 2 games (1 for Wotherspoon). Wotherspoon has already been pulled for Peeke. Time to pull Forbort.

Stats over the last two games only

xGA/60Scoring chances allowed/60Corsi allowed/60Actual 5 on 5 goal differential
Forbort4.1246.5281.97-3
Wotherspoon (1 game)3.8142.3573.16-1
Carlo3.431.4975.1-2
McAvoy1.7721.254.760
Lindholm1.7319.7757.33-1
Lorhei1.3414.6649.49+1
Peeke (1 game)1.2118.7159.880

Carlo is getting lumped in with the bad group here, deservedly so, but if you can get him away from Forbort...

xGA/60Scoring chances allowed/60Corsi allowed/60Actual 5 on 5 goal differential
Carlo w/o Forbort2.3820.5961.76-1
Carlo w/ Forbort8.1782.44137.4-1

The splits are all follow the same trends if you look at the forwards with and without Forbort.

Forbort is completely unplayable against this heavy forecheck.

Adjustment one is to not play him. I, personally, would bring Gryz back into the lineup over bringing back in Wotherspoon... but anything is better than Forbort right now.

Last edited:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Some teams like to ring the bell but don't answer it themselves. Hey it works for FLA so why would they do anything different.
Ring what bell?
This is so predictable from the bruins and you. There’s literally nothing remotely similar about pasta AGREEING to a fight with Tkachuk at the end of a 6-1 blowout and Barkov declining a fight at the opening faceoff. You and almost every talking head spent the last 48 hours pumping pasta’s tires for taking that fight and How it would pump up the bruins for game 3. now you are complaining that pasta had to fight and Barkov didn’t. It’s so comical.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
How on earth so? The very definition of what Florida is.
Because challenging someone to a fight you know will never be accepted so you can try to make a sound bite out of it is the definition of fake tough. Also, the “fake tough” panthers literally ran over the bruins on home ice. Both with the physicality and on the scoreboard. Might have to face the reality that the panthers are better at playing “bruins hockey” than the bruins are.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Ring what bell?
This is so predictable from the bruins and you. There’s literally nothing remotely similar about pasta AGREEING to a fight with Tkachuk at the end of a 6-1 blowout and Barkov declining a fight at the opening faceoff. You and almost every talking head spent the last 48 hours pumping pasta’s tires for taking that fight and How it would pump up the bruins for game 3. now you are complaining that pasta had to fight and Barkov didn’t. It’s so comical.

No one is complaining Barkov did not fight. You are complaining the Bruins had the audacity to challenge Barkov.

Albeit, nonfighter Coyle and tiny Marchand, but by all means be offended.

Versus Tkachuk the Coward spot picking against Pastrnak. Has Tkachuk yet to throw a shoulder to shoulder hit? All the charging reverse hits, much like everything else he does.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
No one is complaining Barkov did not fight. You are complaining the Bruins had the audacity to challenge Barkov.

Albeit, nonfighter Coyle and tiny Marchand, but by all means be offended.

Versus Tkachuk the Coward spot picking against Pastrnak. Has Tkachuk yet to throw a shoulder to shoulder hit? All the charging reverse hits, much like everything else he does.
You are confusing laughing at for complaining.

The best part about this series is Boston fans continually complaining about the physicality from Florida. The same physicality boston employed for over a decade.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Who's worried? It was just icing, got to think they weren't watching that play at all to have missed it.

Shots aren't the problem it's just about everything else leading up to em.

Last night was a PP win for FLA and they've had plenty of chances to crack that. Boston can't get in any rhythm playing short handed so much. What's the PP differential in this series, 2-1, 3-1?

Maybe the PP difference is due to the Panthers domination 5 on 5? I do think that the Panthers could have been called for some plays, and maybe a call on Ekblad should have been made when they ran Bob, but what has Boston done 5 on 5 that would close the PP differential? They are more worried about weak retaliation attempts.

That is the difference from this Panthers team, and years past. They are more disciplined. This series, and the TB series as well, could have been a lot more physical, but they know they are the best even strength team in the league, and if they play to their strengths, they are going to win more times than not.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
To be fair, the Bruins played seven games against the Leafs where the normal rule book is thrown out the window.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
More on adjustments...

Obviously, Florida broke through on the PP. Don't think there is really an adjustment to be made there, just execution and getting pucks out when you have the chance. Them playing a tighter box helps take away Reinhart in the slot and Tkachuk's moves down low. The strategy is sound, just the Panthers other guys executed when the Bruins kept failing to clear when they had the chance. The Panthers didn't do anything magical and different from the other games, the Bruins just didn't execute and the Panthers did.

The forward group however...

Oh boy.

Here is where the believability goes down hill. The magic bullet of "remove Forbort" doesn't really help if you can't score.

If Marchand is out, they are f***ed.

Bruins are short a couple of top six forwards on the roster. They will have cap to address it next season. They can't now. If Marchand is out, they essentially have one first line forward and a hodge podge of inconsistent middle six forwards the need to be in the right role to be successful.

And none of them are in the right role right now.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
How on earth so? The very definition of what Florida is. Such an artificial victim complex.
I don't see them as fake tough guys. They are definitely willing to mix it up when it benefits them. The genius of Tkachuk and co is that they can be tough guys then pull back and play very good hockey once they are in the heads of the other team, laughing while the opponent does stupid things.

In addition to being more talented, FLA is mentally stronger and smarter. Not a knock on Boston, but more a compliment to the Panthers. Great in many facets of the sport.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
I don't see them as fake tough guys. They are definitely willing to mix it up when it benefits them. The genius of Tkachuk and co is that they can be tough guys then pull back and play very good hockey once they are in the heads of the other team, laughing while the opponent does stupid things.

In addition to being more talented, FLA is mentally stronger and smarter. Not a knock on Boston, but more a compliment to the Panthers. Great in many facets of the sport.
This is my take on it as well, why put the best player on the ice to fight? Point is to win the game and Florida is doing just that, all the noice is just frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad