ECQF/MDSF: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes | WSH leads 2-1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Canes fans turning a blind eye to the dirtiest hit of this series, Hamilton’s blatant elbow to the head of Kuznetsov. Guy takes all day to line up the hit and decides to bring his elbow up an extra foot to Kuznetsov’s face. But yeah sure, the Caps are the only team playing dirty in this series.

Again, none of us have ignored it. We all know and understand it was a penalty. And if Hamilton had a history he probably would have gotten a game.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
1....OK.

2. Initiate being "You wanna go?" Because at that point, who cares who initiates. Svechnikov nodded and Svechnikov danced. I also don't understand this nonsensical "gloves dropped first" bit, that's 90% of NHL fights, it's about gettin an upper hand once the other guy has agreed.

Are we going to start to complain now that one guy was able to get his elbow pad off while the other guy couldn't because that's literally where we're at.
Excuse me if I put more weight on Brindy's interpretation than yours, as my post includes his interpretation.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
19 year old rookie's should know their place. It is why all teams mess with rookies non-stop. Ovechkin is a first ballot HOFer.... wtf has Svech done?

You can absolutely play hard and gritty against anybody you like... but you have to know your opponent. Are they going to hit you harder than you are capable of right back? Will you get your face smashed in if you take it a step too far?

I am amazed at the level of *****ing in this thread about this fight. Two guys wanted to go... they went... one lost.
Ovi should just not fight that guy at all. Weak skinny rookie. It's classless move to fight such a puny player like that.

Chara can absolutely bury guys but he doesn't. Evander Kane got Chara to fight but Kane is a known fighter in the league.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Lazy response. So I'm guessing you didn't see the incident? Happened right in front of me and it was not rhetorical.
Do you have video? I googled Tom Wilson Justin Williams challenge fight and nothing came up. No one is talking about it. Do you think that a Justin Williams/Tom Wilson fight would be a more or less reasonable occurrence than Ovy/Svech?

Bob Hadababyitsaboy

Mar 8, 2019
Again, none of us have ignored it. We all know and understand it was a penalty. And if Hamilton had a history he probably would have gotten a game.

Weird, all the talk from Canes fans ITT and elsewhere has been about how the Caps are the only team that has taken any cheap shots and the poor Canes would be up 3-0 if it weren’t for officials ignoring the Caps dirty play.

The history point is comical. Does this hit give Hamilton a history now? Many would argue that a history of no suspensions = no history. Was an obvious attempt to try and remove one of the Caps best players from the series and absolutely brutal no-suspension by DoPS.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Do you have video? I googled Tom Wilson Justin Williams challenge fight and nothing came up. No one is talking about it. Do you think that a Justin Williams/Tom Wilson fight would be a more or less reasonable occurrence than Ovy/Svech?
No, it wasn't one of those incidents after a play that the cameras caught. But I'm telling you, it was right in front me by the right circle and it was clear as day what was happening. If Wilson would have been trying to send a signal Williams would have laughed at him. Williams wasn't laughing.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Caps need to do something about the canes forechecking. Its been said on here ad nauseum but they need to clear the zone and break out. I dont know whether that means skating the puck out or passing it but the forecheck causes our forwards to pinch down and then there is no outlet to be had ... not sure if the D guys need to make quicker decisions or Holtby directing traffic better .. or a combination of many things just not going the caps way.

A successful shift shouldnt be clearing the zone and getting a clean line change. We need speed in the neutral zone. Cant get it having to circle back and pinch down on the boards.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Wrong. Both guys were going back and forth but Ovechkin asked Svech to fight and Svech agreed. Not sure where this version about Svech instigating comes from.
It very much looks like Svech was at least 50% of the equation leading to the fight, I think the most important thing here by far is that regardless of who instigated it, neither party was unwilling... Ovi gets mad at players all the time, he rarely fights at all and never looks for them. He hadn’t fought in 8 years before this. Anyways, If I had to guess generally whether a young confident rookie in his first season/playoffs started a fight with a big fish veteran, or the veteran who never fights, (and is very much aware taking himself off the ice 5min is stupid, hence he never fights unless he’s pissed) started a fight with a rookie... 9/10 I’m picking the same guy.

I guess it depends what you consider instigating.. following a guy around slashing him while he’s watching the play, or asking “let’s go” after (regardless of who asked it... tho Ovi himself said Svechnikov did; who knows, Ovi is the dirtiest liar alive)

Also as someone else said, a guy dropping the glove first happens most fights. It’s a real fight, not professional boxing. Even after Ovi dropped the gloves it’s not like he got in a solid blow right away, Svechnikov was ready to swing by then, there was like .5 seconds difference...

I truly cannot believe there are still people talking about this.

Last edited:

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
Caps need to do something about the canes forechecking. Its been said on here ad nauseum but they need to clear the zone and break out. I dont know whether that means skating the puck out or passing it but the forecheck causes our forwards to pinch down and then there is no outlet to be had ... not sure if the D guys need to make quicker decisions or Holtby directing traffic better .. or a combination of many things just not going the caps way.

A successful shift shouldnt be clearing the zone and getting a clean line change. We need speed in the neutral zone. Cant get it having to circle back and pinch down on the boards.
Agreed. This is our biggest issue right now

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
No, it wasn't one of those incidents after a play that the cameras caught. But I'm telling you, it was right in front me by the right circle and it was clear as day what was happening. If Wilson would have been trying to send a signal Williams would have laughed at him. Williams wasn't laughing.
So you think Williams should have fought him because Wilson was being disrespectful?

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Wrong. Both guys were going back and forth but Ovechkin asked Svech to fight and Svech agreed. Not sure where this version about Svech instigating comes from.
How do you know this? I don’t know because I wasn’t on the ice. Do you have some on ice audio we don’t know about or are you just siding with your boy? How do you know Svechnikov is telling the truth? I know I don’t know Ovie personally so I have no idea who is telling the truth. More to the point, get over it. It’s done. As they say, “don’t want nothing, don’t start nothing”, and now the young lad knows.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Canes fans .. get over it. Your boy wanted to go and lost. You guys talk about caps this and caps that .... but totally brush Hamiltons elbow of Kuz under the rug like it didnt happen and that was the dirtiest intent-to-injure play in this series. Funny and sad to see some of you all so offended by the fair fight but in the next breath wish retribution and injury of Alex ... I guess you all havent seen much playoff hockey and dont know what to expect and how to act yet.

Stop crying like perpetual victims. Its hockey.

Its embarrassing. God forbid a Cap actually does something worthy of all this crying and whining.

orpik cup checking martinook was easily on par with the hamilton elbow on kuz

I can understand different perspectives on the fight. On the other stuff:

Hamilton's elbow was egregious and unnecessary.

Ovi targeted and connected with McGinn's head, a play that was just as egregious and potentially more dangerous imo. That seems to have gotten lost in the conversation.

Orkpik's stick to Martinook's groin speaks for itself. From a perspective of premeditation, the "dirtiest" of the 3 plays.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
:huh:

Seriously? No, he shouldn't even consider tussling with Williams. Just like Ovechkin shouldn't have challenged Svech.
Williams and Ovechkin are the more experienced players in these equations, if either of them are challenged to a fight it is their prerogative to accept or demure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad