GDT: ECQF - GM2: New York Islanders @ Pittsburgh Penguins (NBCSN, TSN) | Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I like the people *****ing about how Niskanen losing a fight gave the Isles momentum. Aren't you the same guys that constantly say that fighting in hockey is pointless and meaningless?

my biggest beef with the Niskanen fight is this:

WHERE THE **** WAS THE PENALTY ON OKPOSO?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Defense flat-out sucked. Hustle and puck management from the forwards was poor. Fleury was good for most of the game, then let in his trademark Fleury playoff goal.

Really disappointing effort from a team that should've had it in the bag after putting up a 2 goal lead.

trader997

Oct 17, 2008
Montreal
Not sure I've ever seen a coach **** with his lines and defensive pairings as much as the idiot Byslma. No wonder the D was getting burnt all night. I don't think anyone played 2 shifts in a row w/ the same partner. Hell he had Engo and Murray out there together at one point. Does he seriously just pick names out of a hat? What a complete joke of a coach. Completely outcoached every playoffs.

agree completely!! Line juggling was a joke tonight.

KHstrike

Apr 23, 2012
Everyone played bad. Defense looked lost. Engelland needs to never play again. Malkin and Iginla had less than no chemistry. Byslma didn't bother coaching unless it was punishing Bennet.

Bad loss for sure, but they can recover.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Tough game. Pity me because I couldn't get to a bar until right before the second period so I didn't even get to see a Penguins goal. Or don't because I also like the Islanders even though my heart's in Pittsburgh right now.

I think my biggest pet peeve about this board is that it seems like a lot of people assume that any Penguins loss is a directly result of the Penguins being outright horrible. The Islanders were definitely giving it they're all, they're a much better team than most here give them credit for, Nabokov really stepped up, and they got very lucky with some bounces off the end boards and people's legs. It was a statement game for them. After getting blown out they had to prove they belonged. They outplayed the Penguins tonight but there's no need whatsoever to get all doom and gloom about it and act like half the organization is rotten. There's a lot of series left.

Now, I'm going to go take a warm bath. I think the rest of you should find a way to treat yourselves tonight. Take a walk, read a book, listen to some early Slayer (RIP Jeff Hanneman), or attend a Temperance meeting.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
tumblr_ltchy4iUBI1qafrh6.gif

I've got another whole bottle of wine and a piece of tiramisu the size of your momma's head. At least if I die, I'll die happy.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I'm not sure what is more amazing. The amount of goals Fleury knocks in his own net in the playoffs along with weak goals or the amount of die hard supporters the guy has that he can do no wrong. Listen, Fleury made some very good saves. He always does. that's not the problem. It's the goals he does give up. I wish I were kidding, but you could make a 3 minute long youtube video of Fluky crappy Fleury playoffs goals from the last 3 years and Im just talking the playoffs. He has no calming effect on this team. He plays panicked and a goalie is supposed to do the opposite.

That's simply a great way of putting it. It's a textbook example of "Giveth, and taketh away"

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Fleury isn't beyond criticism either. Fleury has played in this building for four years and doesn't know what the backboards are going to do like on the fourth giveaway goal.:rant:

Three years, but that is an extremely valid criticism that I kept shouting out during the game.

This was extremely reminiscent of early in that 2008 series against Detroit where they kept scoring off the backboards...which was understandable because every Red Wing knew their boards and Fleury had played one or two career games at the Joe before...but this was at home.

Fleury kept us in the game for much of the game, but he doesn't escape the criticism for that. Goals 2-4 all came off board bounces that he either couldn't track, didn't react to fast enough, or put in his own ****ing damn net. That's inexcusable.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
It's a 4 year issue. The Montreal series 4 years ago was decided by Goaltending. Pens would outshoot them 41-18 and lose 3-2 on much of the same we saw tonight

Yeah, I know. But I used 2 because the ones that defend him to the grave probably don't remember back that far. Fleury is such a mental patient, it blows my mind. Just a complete spazz.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
People can blame Fleury all they want for that flukey goal, but the Isles came out to play from beginning to end. There was no reason for them to have let up some 40 shots. Was the 4th goal deflating? Sure, but then again I bet the 4 minute PP that looked like 80% mud was too. It was a whole team loss, not just one player.

Fleury played worse as the defense played better.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It wasn't as bad as Carcillo - who was baited for no other reason than being a dumbass liability - Niskanen was answering for a hit at least...but Niskanen can't fight there. It was a clean hit and you have nothing to answer for. If Okposo is going to jump you then, by all means let him ****ing jump you and take the power play. Instead he fought a guy way stronger than him, which gave a huge push to the Islanders who scored mere seconds later.

I won't say it was as huge of a push as the announcers did - the Isles were playing great before that (another difference there as the Penguins were just playing atrociously in that 3-0 Philly game) - but it did seem to give them that push that put them over the top. Niskanen had nothing to gain by engaging in that fight.

I agree it wasn't selfish, he didn't do it for personal reasons, it just was stupid. If the score had been 3-3 at that point I think it's safe to say he doesn't even acknowledge Okposo.

Agree 100%. I think the Isles were on their last gasp at that point. The fight sparked them. BUT, they managed, with the Pens help, to fan the proverbial spark into a flame. Without that, who knows?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You have to be ****ing kidding me if that's the biggest thing you came away with in this game.

It's not the biggest thing, but he has to be smarter with the puck. He was making dumb passes in dangerous areas all night.

His good will always outweigh his bad, but he'd do well do be more judicious with his fancy pants.

bradshaw06

Dec 7, 2009
New Jersey
Isles looked like they were fighting for their playoff lives, like it was an elimination game. Need to see the same urgency from the pens

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Please Dan, take a ****ing page out of their book and have our boys go HAM at the net on Sunday

Sideline

May 23, 2004
but Fleury is the reason they should have stolen it. this is more confusing than inception. WE HAVE TO GO DEEPER

I'm gonna go with Sid and Geno putting 3 on the board in like 8 minutes as the reason they almost stole the game. Fleury wasn't stopping a flood of odd man rushes. He made some good saves. Every goalie in the NHL can make some good saves. Hell, the other goalie out they made just as many big stops as Fleury. The difference was a couple patented Fleury steamin' softies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
you've weakened a forum today

Deep down in places you don't talk about with your family, you want me in these threads. You need me in these threads.

You use words like hustle, drop passes, fluky, soft goal. I use them as a backbone to a life of trolling internet forums. You use them as a punchline.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to argue about how this ****** Penguins team is going to win the Stanley Cup when they can't even beat the ****** Islanders.

I'd prefer you just said, "You're right, thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you make some outrageous, over-the-top claims about how ****ing ****** this team is.

Either way, I don't give a damn what you think I've weakened.

nTsplnk*

Defense flat-out sucked. Hustle and puck management from the forwards was poor. Fleury was good for most of the game, then let in his trademark Fleury playoff goal.

Really disappointing effort from a team that should've had it in the bag after putting up a 2 goal lead.

Made a lot of great saves. Let in 3 bad goals. They don't count saves at the end of the game unfortunately.

Just an awful, awful effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad