Confirmed with Link: Ducks sign Tyson Hinds to ELC (3 years, $848,333 AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Hooray for Hinds!

Hinds becomes the fifth member of the 2021 class to be signed by the Ducks!

2021 Draft Class
Rd 1. C/LW McTavish, signed​
Rd 2. LD/RD Zellweger, signed​
Rd 3. RW Pastujov, signed​
Rd 3. LD Hinds, signed​
Rd 4. C Lopina, signed​
Rd 5. LW Tschigerl, unsigned (WHL - Calgary)​
Rd 5. G Alexander, unsigned (WHL - Swift)​
Rd 6. C, Kukkonen, unsigned (NCAA - Michigan Tech)​

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Now I have to learn the correct pronunciation. Is it H-eye-nds or H-in-nds?
H-eye-nds, almost like the ketchup

Hooray for Hinds!

Hinds becomes the fifth member of the 2021 class to be signed by the Ducks!

2021 Draft Class
Rd 1. C/LW McTavish, signed​
Rd 2. LD/RD Zellweger, signed​
Rd 3. RW Pastujov, signed​
Rd 3. LD Hinds, signed​
Rd 4. C Lopina, signed​
Rd 5. LW Tschigerl, unsigned (WHL - Calgary)​
Rd 5. G Alexander, unsigned (WHL - Swift)​
Rd 6. C, Kukkonen, unsigned (NCAA - Michigan Tech)​
I would be surprised if Tschigerl doesn’t get signed, last two may still be wild cards though.

Hell, Tschigerl could even get signed soon, he’s been effective this preseason.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
According to CapFriendly, we have 45/50 contracts given out, but having included Hinds' recent signing yet. We should leave two contract spots open for the possibility of signing LaCombe and/or Thrun once their season is over. Then that would bring the contract size to 48/50. We may need to sign two NHL forwards just in case.

Tschigerl has been visible, but it's a numbers game now.

With Kukkonen, he's going the NCAA route, which means the Ducks can let him develop there for another 3 seasons max.

Alexander probably will be signed in the off-season b/c we're going to lose Stolarz at the TDL, promote Dostal to the NHL and there could be a spot for Alexander in the AHL, especially if Clang doesn't come over from the SHL. The org might want Clang to continue to develop in the SHL.

Last edited:

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
This is a clear recognition and reward for his play this rookie tournament and camp. Good for him, and hopefully good for the Ducks. I wouldn't worry about his impact on our contract count. Assuming he is sent back to Juniors, his contract will "slide" and won't be counted against the 50 contract limit for this year. It will be counted next year, when he becomes 20 and heads into the AHL.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Happy for Hinds and the team. However, I don’t know what to make of him. Real limited scouting reports on here, and online. He doesn’t seem to play with his size (based on comments that I’ve read last year), and he’s not that ‘offensive’.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Happy for Hinds and the team. However, I don’t know what to make of him. Real limited scouting reports on here, and online. He doesn’t seem to play with his size (based on comments that I’ve read last year), and he’s not that ‘offensive’.
He does use his size, at least has when I’ve seen him. He’s not going to be some crazy physical beat people up guy(I think Warren could maybe be that for us) but he’s definitely not soft.

I think some of the comments last year about him playing soft were a big overreaction to a few games in training camp

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
They traded into the draft to get him. They really like him.

Thrun and LaCombe like: 👀

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Based upon his two rookie exhibition games and one pre-season game, Hinds plays a physically strong game as he seals the boards, goes into the corner scrums and comes away with the puck often. He can also handle the puck as he's always looking to pass the puck to a teammate to get the puck out of the defensive zone. That was very noticeable in the rookie and pre-season games.

As for "not offensive", that was a scouting report done about two seasons ago, halfway through his D+0 season. Then he got traded to Rimouski and his offense just popped (see below). Murray and Madden often like players who bloom late. That's why the Ducks traded back into the 3rd round.

HInds
D+0 season
Shawinigan: 10 games; 0g + 1a = 1 pt (0.10 ppg); +3 rating​
Rimouski: 23 games; 6g + 9a = 15 pts (0.65 ppg); +7 rating​

D+1 season
Rimouski: 23 games; 5g + 11a = 16 pts (0.70 ppg) ; +5 rating​
Sherbrooke: 38 games; 7g + 12a = 19 pts (0.50 ppg); +23 rating​

With his D+1 season, Hinds proved that new found offense is here to stay. Again, Hinds was traded away. He brought offense and defense with a +23 rating!

We needed a shutdown guy, but having that offensive potential is a plus. We didn't see it with the Ducks this off-season, but I think he was playing to his forte of shutdown D and get the puck out quickly as well as safely. It worked as he got to sign an ELC.

We can track his D+2 season and hope he's allowed to be more offensive with Sherbrooke like he was with Rimouski.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
He does use his size, at least has when I’ve seen him. He’s not going to be some crazy physical beat people up guy(I think Warren could maybe be that for us) but he’s definitely not soft.

I think some of the comments last year about him playing soft were a big overreaction to a few games in training camp
This. He was playing physical (not in the punishing/fighting sense but not afraid to use his body) with his junior team even during his draft year, but then that didn't show at camp so it made people think he's soft. He was more assertive this year. He still has a lot of work ahead of him, but let's hope he continues to develop.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad