OT: Ducks Jerseys : How to tell one from another (Fan Guide)

evomacky

we heff no effor
Jan 7, 2014
Anaheim, CA
It's Playoff Season again, and the one thing that separates us Hockey fans from other fans is our Jerseys. The feeling we get when we put them on is what makes us feel part of the game. We celebrate every win, and fall together every time they lose.

For the discerning fan, there are always lots of questions about their team and one of the most common ones is the team jersey - how can I tell one from a knockoff and how can I tell if its the *real* thing. Well, with the information I share I hope to help answer some of those questions. And if there are things I miss or forget to add, please feel free to chime in.

So to start...

The Anaheim Ducks use 3 main types of jerseys in the season

The home jersey:
thumb.aspx

The away or road jersey:
thumb.aspx

The 3rd or Alternate jersey:
anaheim-ducks-reebok-premier-alternate-jersey-2015-2016-orange-10.gif

For this comparison, I will be using the road/away jersey as an example.

Reebok sells two versions of what the team uses - the Premier and "Indo Edge".

The Reebok Premier - It is also sometimes called the "replica" or "semi pro". It normally sells for about $100-$140 retail blank (or customized through NHL.com). These are manufactured in Asia with a 100% polyester two-way stretch pique fabric. The front crests are embroidered but are glued onto the jersey and it has no fight strap. The shoulder patches are screened and then stitched and there are slits on both sides of the jersey. These are the fan's equivalent of the ones the players wear on the ice.

The "Indo-Edge" - These were never worn on the ice and are made overseas. They usually go for around $300 retail. They are not of the same quality or construction of either an Edge 1.0 or a 2.0, and are for all intents and purposes just a better replica with a fight strap. The fight strap is secured only by one piece of twill compared to the double reinforced twill on the Edge 2.0 and have a neon green Reebok neck lining compared to black on the Edge 2.0. The Indo Edge also has an actual patch, rather than a silk screen logo of the Ducks logo on the shoulders.

For reference, the Ducks use what is called Edge 2.0; this jersey is only available through the team. The only way to obtain one is to purchase team issued, game issued, or game worn jerseys. They are usually not available to the general public. They are made to look like the Edge 7187 jerseys but they are made of Air-Knit, a material very commonly used in the late 90s and early 2000s. Everything on this jersey will be Z-stitched and it has a fight strap affixed within two pieces of twill. The elbows and shoulders have double lining and are made by Sport Maska in Canada. The sizes they come in for the team are 54, 56, 58, 58+ and G. Any other number, and you have a fake.

Now onto some pictures that give each away.

Here are the comparisons of the NHL crest and general neck area of the (A)Reebok Premier, (B)Indo-Edge and (C)Edge 2.0:

(A)
IMG_6246_zpsznodcqoc.jpg

(B)
IMG_6247_zpsyaowtqjy.jpg

(C)
IMG_6259_zpst94j9pb4.jpg

Upon closer inspection, these are the key details that separate each.

(A)
IMG_6252_zps2hpfw1xy.jpg

-the Reebok Premier/Replica does not have a reinforced neck center, and the two laces are loosely affixed to the jersey. You can easily open a gap between the orange lining with the NHL logo and the jersey material.

(B)
IMG_6251_zpsmzbplqnz.jpg

-the Indo-Edge has the gold edge of the neck collar sewn onto the orange lining. you cannot open a gap between the orange lining as it is now sewn onto the outer jersey material. the laces themselves are not loosely attached and do not move around like the Premier. furthermore, the NHL crest is glued and stitched on the orange lining.

(C)
IMG_6258_zpst9zjxwg6.jpg

-the Edge 2.0 also has the orange lining stitched onto the outer jersey material, but instead of only partially stitched, it is stitched around the base of the collar (look at the white stripe stitches that go over the orange onto the black part) unlike the Indo-Edge where the stitching is only in front of the gold portion of the neck collar.The laces themselves are stitched onto the orange lining unlike the Premier and Indo-Edge.

Also, the NHL crest is made of a different material and altogether looks sharper. It kind of has a fuzzy look on the black sections. It is, like the Indo-Edge, glued and stitched on the orange lining.

Fight Straps

Now, here are the main differences when it comes to the fight strap between the (1)Indo-Edge and the actual (2)Edge 2.0 from the team.

(1) Indo-Edge
IMG_6253_zps7ijy32if.jpg

If you notice, the strap is held by one piece of twill onto the back lining of the jersey. You can also use this as reference to compare knock offs - knock off jerseys that have a *fight strap* almost always have a strap that is not affixed or sewn like this.

(2) Edge 2.0
IMG_6255_zpszjsaysva.jpg

This is the fight strap on the game worn Edge 2.0; you can clearly see that the strap is held in place by two pieces of twill, Z-stitched.

Here is a close up of the strap attachment point:

IMG_6256_zpsrkwhp5tl.jpg

And this is the tag that comes only on game worn/team issued jerseys, whether it is a practice or game jersey:

IMG_6257_zpsfqwww7qo.jpg

*Note - the twill that holds the fight strap will always be sewn using thread that is the same color as the jersey. If the thread used to affix the twill is of a different color than the jersey's main color, it is fake.

Hopefully this information helps.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2010
NC
I honestly have no problem with knock off jerseys and wouldn't look this hard. I'd rather pay 30 bucks for a 'pretty much the same' jersey than 150 for a perfect one. Even my local ECHL team's jerseys cost like 100 smackers each

27/500

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Does anyone else think the Samuelis' will adopt the third jersey as our home jersey then make a teal/eggplant version of the current third as the new third?

evomacky

we heff no effor
Jan 7, 2014
Anaheim, CA
I honestly have no problem with knock off jerseys and wouldn't look this hard. I'd rather pay 30 bucks for a 'pretty much the same' jersey than 150 for a perfect one. Even my local ECHL team's jerseys cost like 100 smackers each

27/500

No worries. just providing the information so that people don't get scammed if they are looking to buy the real thing and being sold knockoffs.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Apologies if this is the wrong thread. But I live in Finland, and I've always wanted an authentic (or as close as possible to the real thing) Ducks jersey. I bought a customised premier a couple of years ago thinking I wouldn't mind the heat-sealed stuff but it was awful.

I happen to have some friends living in San Jose, whom I'm sure would do me the favour of going jersey shopping if I ask nicely. What store, online or IRL, should I tell them to go to? Any advice is appreciated.

evomacky

we heff no effor
Jan 7, 2014
Anaheim, CA
I would recommend Jersey Baron online. I have a few friends who have bought there and have nothing but positive reviews.

Jersey Baron sells the Canadian-made equivalent of the Indo-Edge jerseys. The only thing they share is the fact that the fight straps are held in place by a single twill, but otherwise the material and everything else is the same as the Edge 2.0 that the players wear.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005

27/500
To me the difference is if you know it's a knock off or not. Aka they're not passing it off as something of higher "pedigree" than it really is.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I would recommend Jersey Baron online. I have a few friends who have bought there and have nothing but positive reviews.

Jersey Baron sells the Canadian-made equivalent of the Indo-Edge jerseys. The only thing they share is the fact that the fight straps are held in place by a single twill, but otherwise the material and everything else is the same as the Edge 2.0 that the players wear.

Cool, thanks! I assume they make customised jerseys as well?

Great post!

I'm a fan of the highest end jersey you can manage. They simply last and wear better than the cheap ones.

Any recommendations? :)

Jun 13, 2010
NC
To me the difference is if you know it's a knock off or not. Aka they're not passing it off as something of higher "pedigree" than it really is.

Fair point. I proudly wear knock offs but would be pissed if I paid top dollar expecting a nicer jersey only to receive a poorly made one.

28?/500

evomacky

we heff no effor
Jan 7, 2014
Anaheim, CA
Practice Jerseys

This comparison is to differentiate an actual game-worn/issued Practice jersey compared to a retail *fan* version.

Since I haven't seen any retail versions of the current practice jersey that the Ducks wear, I'm going to use the Digital Camo which they use once a year for Military Appreciation Night. It is the same as the actual practice jersey that the Ducks use, it just has the forest green camo instead of the solid colors like red, black, blue, gray, etc. The Digital Camo is also available retail as a fan version, though in select numbers and select locations.

On to the differences.

The retail Edge practice jersey is on the left (A) and the actual team-used Edge Practice on the right (B)

IMG_6218_zpsf6geaz16.jpg

(A)
IMG_6219_zpsh2d673bm.jpg

This is a close-up of the logo of the retail version. Same as the Premier jersey, the main logo is glued onto the jersey itself. The logo is sewn and applied as a heat-transfer patch from the factory.

(B)
IMG_6220_zps3uaevemd.jpg

This is a close-up of the game-issued Camo. You can clearly see the logo is sewn onto the material, and even the logo itself is made differently, with the silver stripe on the retail version changed to a white stripe with two thick black stripes sewn around it and around the main logo.

(A)
IMG_6222_zpsqaahqwdz.jpg

This is the front end of the retail. Note that the Reebok wordmark patch is above the horizontal line that merges the shoulder area to the front area.

(B)
IMG_6221_zpsyjspr2z3.jpg

This is the game-issued version. Note that the Reebok wordmark is below the line; plus you can see a difference in texture of the material for the shoulder and the chest area.

(A)
IMG_6223_zps92vvcvsf.jpg

Retail; this is the crest area of the retail jersey. the NHL logo is glued and stitched, and the collar is almost flat with the rest of the jersey.

(B)
IMG_6224_zpsm9o1cviz.jpg

Game-issued; as you can see, the seams where the shoulder and chest area merge are clearly stitched from both sides. The collar itself won't sit flat with the rest of the jersey. Also, note that the chest material is of a different type than the rest of the jersey

(A)
IMG_6225_zpscmqaw3gu.jpg

Bottom - the front bottom of the retail. It does not have the size patch.

(B)
IMG_6226_zpshbfosvux.jpg

Bottom - game-issued. Again, you can see the different materials that make up the lower half, side, and chest area of the jersey. It also has the size patch on the lower right.

(A and B)
IMG_6227_zpswsdhm8sy.jpg

Backs
Top - Retail
Bottom - Game-issued

You can clearly see the retail is made up of the same material almost throughout for the camo sections, whereas the game-issued has different materials for different parts of the jersey. Also, the Reebok wordmark is sewn onto the jersey on the retail version, whereas the game-issued is a patch sewn on the back.

(A and B)
IMG_6228_zpsv30hf26t.jpg

Sleeves
Top - Retail
Bottom - Game-issued

Same differences as the back portion. The extra stitching for the elbows is more defined in the bottom one, and the cuff on the retail does not have the black edge of the game-issued at the bottom.

(A)
IMG_6234_zps8eqrhzho.jpg

Back of retail - no fight strap is attached, and the border for the black lining is straight cut along the length of the jersey.

(B)
IMG_6235_zpschnekotl.jpg

Back of game-issued - fight strap attachment point is visible, different edge for the 2-piece black lining near the armpit along the length of the jersey.

(B)
IMG_6236_zpsf8bqqmsy.jpg

View of the fight strap. Double twill reinforced.

(B)
IMG_6237_zpsneytniqy.jpg

Sport Maska tag.

evomacky

we heff no effor
Jan 7, 2014
Anaheim, CA
Cool, thanks! I assume they make customised jerseys as well?

Not sure, but they probably do. They do have the usual Getzlaf/Kesler/Perry pre-set jerseys for sale, but each says it takes some time to do. I'm sure if you contact them they will be able to give you a definite answer.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Very cool info. I had often wondered what all the differences were, but wasn't sure where to look.

Thanks for sharing!

evomacky

we heff no effor
Jan 7, 2014
Anaheim, CA
Ready for the Playoffs! finally got my Getzlaf gamer 3rd and my wife's customized Getzlaf 3rd from the NHL.com store.

#PaintItOrange

IMG_6289_zps0tw73zs0.jpg

IMG_6290_zpszw4heauc.jpg

IMG_6291_zps1k3uilyy.jpg

IMG_6292_zpskjwckppy.jpg

:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad