Post-Game Talk: Dubnyk wins 3-1, Oilers Still Missing.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
The bottom 6 hasn't played enough 5x5 to make a huge difference in games, and have been fairly good in the defensive specialties(penalty kill). With the exception of Ryan Smyth of course, who apparently thinks he's immune from being called for blatent penalties.

The top 6 is playing a ton, are paid to score, and haven't been able to get the job done consistently in their first year left unsheltered by the coach. It'll come, but they are clearly fighting it right now, and the team is following suit.

I think there are a lot of great points in here.

We, and any team in the league live and die by how their top 6 perform. Ours aren't performing very well right now. They were at the beginning of the season.

Personally, I don't think the fix to this is to trade two of our top six away. Let them play through it. They will work it out, and when they do, we're going to be looking a whole lot better.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
The bottom 6 hasn't played enough 5x5 to make a huge difference in games, and have been fairly good in the defensive specialties(penalty kill). With the exception of Ryan Smyth of course, who apparently thinks he's immune from being called for blatent penalties.

The top 6 is playing a ton, are paid to score, and haven't been able to get the job done consistently in their first year left unsheltered by the coach. It'll come, but they are clearly fighting it right now, and the team is following suit.

Yeah, if the top 6 were chipping in an extra 2 goals between them, they would make things a lot easier for themselves. RNH seems to get a good point blank chance everygame and fires it wide of the net by a foot or 2.

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
I disagree re defense. 1 or 2 goals against per game is not bad for a bottom dweller. We need to score more goals. The forwards continually give it away or lose it somehow and then the d have to take over. The puck is always coming back to our end. Granted our breakout passes do suck this year.

The d isn't great but not the worst part of the team right now.

I don't think its the worst part of are team. But aside from the schultz pairing and smids shot blocking. I'm far from okay with are d line up

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Some of the posters here don't know anything about hockey. How the hell does Hall not have hockey sense? What kind of comment is that? WoW!!!! And the comment on RNH . Are you kidding me? RNH's farts have more talent then Gally. But because he's on the Oilers we have to rip him and marvel at all the other team's players.

I agree 100%

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
We really do miss Ryan Jones a lot. He`s been the only guy who could (somewhat) consistently score in our bottom six since we`ve had him. We`re missing him more than people are giving credit. When he gets back, he will give a big shot in the arm to the third line and will be a scoring threat, especially on break-aways.

Bang on. I've been saying this since we've had Jonsie, in spite of a lot of voices on here wishing to move him for a shinier toy. The guy bleeds Oiler guts and brings an enthusisam others can feed off of. I've said in the past, if/when this team makes the playoffs, Ryan Jones will prove his true worth, beyond a doubt. He's built for that kind of action.

Saying that, just don't expect him to turn this ship around by himself, or come in and be in mid season form. He's going to need some time, and this team needs to solve their own issues before he gets back to help make a difference.

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB

I'm thinking long term not are play of late. You would be surpried how much a solid 3 line can effect a game. But as of recent your right top 6 need to be better

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
one thing i really liked today was seeing gags and prv on the PK, as a coach i have always believed in having skill players kill penalties. today was a SH goal but you can tell the pk looks different when skill guys are out there. it adds an element of the pp fearing the transition as much as losing possesion. another reason i like jones on the pk, not that he is a skill guy but he can score.

I have really liked the last few games from prv, he seems to have accepted the role he has been given and has started showing offensive confidence. im sure the SH snipe wont hurt with that either.

Also i love ben eagers game, he is in every scrum, he is a genuine ahole to play against and it great. hope he stays healthy because he adds an element no one else brings to the table.

also anyone who thinks hall has no hockey sense in a mong

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Bang on. I've been saying this since we've had Jonsie, in spite of a lot of voices on here wishing to move him for a shinier toy. The guy bleeds Oiler guts and brings an enthusisam others can feed off of. I've said in the past, if/when this team makes the playoffs, Ryan Jones will prove his true worth, beyond a doubt. He's built for that kind of action.

Saying that, just don't expect him to turn this ship around by himself, or come in and be in mid season form. He's going to need some time, and this team needs to solve their own issues before he gets back to help make a difference.
i agree with this alot jones is one of the guys that even when the team looks like garbage he doesnt. always gives 100% and plays within the confines of his skill set. if you swap jones in and smyth out our team gets better, instantly

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

I mentioned that Hall `lacks` some hockey sense, which I think he does. Not that he doesn`t have ANY; he certainly does. But not enough to ever make him the superstar many hope he will be, IMO.

People need to actually READ posts properly before they spew non-sense back.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
one thing i really liked today was seeing gags and prv on the PK, as a coach i have always believed in having skill players kill penalties. today was a SH goal but you can tell the pk looks different when skill guys are out there. it adds an element of the pp fearing the transition as much as losing possesion. another reason i like jones on the pk, not that he is a skill guy but he can score.

I have really liked the last few games from prv, he seems to have accepted the role he has been given and has started showing offensive confidence. im sure the SH snipe wont hurt with that either.

Also i love ben eagers game, he is in every scrum, he is a genuine ahole to play against and it great. hope he stays healthy because he adds an element no one else brings to the table.

no kidding, easily our best and most important player most nights....Hall is what a 1st overall is supposed to be...the kind of player to build a franchise around.
so happy that we have him.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
****ing forum ate my post which was almost Bad Medicine length. :(

Maybe a good thing.

To summarize...

SHOOT THE ****ING PUCK OILERS.

yep, the oilers also need a shot from the point on the pp, when hemsky and or gagner are on the point the threat of a shot if gone and the other teams pk know it. we should have hall or yakupov man the point and let them clap a few bombs to spread out the box. all the side board and cross crease passes are void if there is 3 sticks in the box.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hall has plenty of hockey sense. He's just not playing very well right now (like so many others, he's just started struggling lately) and is struggling to make the right decisions. His confidence is waning a bit, but like the rest, he'll be fine. This is a really rough patch for these kids who have been thrust into a starting role this year and can't run for cover. They'll be better players and people for it when they come out the other side.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'd like to see every top 6 forward next game strive for 4+ shots. Shoot from everywhere... junk shots just to generate "something" and get out of the funk they are in.

I honestly think that's one of their biggest issues... it's not rocket science. Get both the puck and bodies to the net and something may actually happen.

They have speed and talent on this team and can actually create chances out of nothing instead of nothing out of something every time they are out there.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Hall has plenty of hockey sense. He's just not playing very well right now (like so many others, he's just started struggling lately) and is struggling to make the right decisions. His confidence is waning a bit, but like the rest, he'll be fine. This is a really rough patch for these kids who have been thrust into a starting role this year and can't run for cover. They'll be better players and people for it when they come out the other side.

I don't see it. I don't see much vision to his game. He has some decent amount, but I wouldn't say he has "plenty". Meh, I guess it's all subjective anyway.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
no kidding, easily our best and most important player most nights....Hall is what a 1st overall is supposed to be...the kind of player to build a franchise around.
so happy that we have him.

"hey that hall guy seems to be every where the puck is almost every shift, must be cause he skates fast cause he has no hockey sense, he must not anticipate plays and flow. "

some people man, i have said since halls rookie season that if hall plays 82 games the oilers dont miss the playoffs, ever again.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
does anyone else get the feeling that the kids are too worried about passing to each other and not just making plays on their own? i noticed this with yak and nuge a few times in games prior and again today with eberle. pretty plays and passing are all good but there is always a spot for being selfish and making something happen.

Ogopogo*

Where's the passion? We have way too much talent to sleepwalk through games like we have the past two weeks. Why don't we play like we want to compete and win? Why do we lack motivation? We should roll over Columbus, not look like the inferior team.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Some random thoughts:

- Kevin Quinn being absolutely floored by Paajarvi actually scoring on his chance was hilarious and the highlight of the game for me; Quinn doesn't usually express true excitement well, but you can tell he was shocked when the puck went in the net

- Dubnyk looked like Luongo today, and in a good way

- Tambellini will have to be careful with Gagner; he's going to have a very good season in terms of counting numbers but his defensive game is still a disaster

- Hemsky, Hall, Gagner, Dubnyk and Justin Schultz are the only players actually playing quality hockey right now on the team

- Petry and Smid need to get their act together; when paired together the last few games they were subpar - tonight when paired apart they were even worse

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
and dubnyk has been great, you can tell the team has confidence in him and he is using his big frame very well. on the save on jj he slid across and was set before the puck came off jj's stick, excellent vision and reaction. starting to show the merit of the first round pick used on him.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I'm thinking long term not are play of late. You would be surpried how much a solid 3 line can effect a game. But as of recent your right top 6 need to be better

Well, yeah, obviously

Over the hill vets and rookies do not make for a good bottom 6. Horcoff and especially Smyth need to be replaced as soon as next year, and probably should have been replaced for this coming year, and the team hasn't had a good 3rd line defensive right winger since before Pisani fell ill with colitus.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
I don't see it. I don't see much vision to his game. He has some decent amount, but I wouldn't say he has "plenty". Meh, I guess it's all subjective anyway.

Intercepted a pass at the boards, almost gets a break away out of it, turns into the 1-0 goal when Hemsky cleans up his garbage...

You're right, no vision on the ice. Leads the team in assists by complete accident.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad