Post-Game Talk: Dubnyk wins 3-1, Oilers Still Missing.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Gally is already there at 18!!! RNH is a full year older and has a TON of work to do. I mean A TON!!!
With his shoulder problems, he might never be able to work out as he should to fill out his frame. Who knows.
Gally is already there. Done. Ready for the NHL game, just has to learn it.

I don't think he's quite there either, he's getting some assists but has cooled considerably.

RNH had a much better start to his NHL career, he's just hurt right now.

Unfortunately the team wide plague of stupid hockey seems to have finally rubbed off on him too :(

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He's only thirty. Still time for a few productive seasons if he gets his head right.
Maybe the Kings don't want to move him back to Edmonton, but if I was Tamby I'd be placing a call just to see what the asking price is.

Ya right, good move. As if our kids haven't had their patience tested by lack of veteran support as it is, let's bring in a guy reknowned for not being in shape, a slacker, and a guy that get himself benched for such. Good role model.:shakehead

Jmask83

Oct 3, 2009
Some of the posters here don't know anything about hockey. How the hell does Hall not have hockey sense? What kind of comment is that? WoW!!!! And the comment on RNH . Are you kidding me? RNH's farts have more talent then Gally. But because he's on the Oilers we have to rip him and marvel at all the other team's players.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I don't think he's quite there either, he's getting some assists but has cooled considerably.

RNH had a much better start to his NHL career, he's just hurt right now.

Unfortunately the team wide plague of stupid hockey seems to have finally rubbed off on him too :(

When I said Gally was "done", I was referring to his body size and development. He could leave it 'as is' and he'd be fine. But he'll probably get bigger and top out at 210-215lbs, most of it being muscle (compared to fat). I would love to have him, he's going to be fantastic.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Love how Gagner's improved and love his work ethic. But I can't see RNH and Gagner being our centers long term.

They obviously aren't moving RNH so Gagner is the best chip we have to work with - ditto Hemsky.

In a perfect world I want to keep both those guys but we need to improve the team and no one is going to want our castoffs.

Also gotta say Krueger seems like a great guy and god knows the coaching assembly line we've had the last 5 years, but I just don't know what to think.

PP and PK are consistently pretty great with him but I've never, ever seen an Oilers team get so few legit high quality chances 5-on-5.

The game basically sucks these days due to bigger better goalies and better system play, so clearly skill alone can't get you the Cup.

If it was up to me, I'd blow up the team minus the kids and Dubey; any forward or d-man not named Hall, RNH Eberle, Yakupov or Schultz would be available.

I'd fire Tambo right now. Get Lowe to cover the rest of this season. Hire Burke if he's the best guy available, not sure he would be.

Matt Ryan

Falcons Rise Up
Oct 4, 2011
San Francisco
Gally is already there at 18!!! RNH is a full year older and has a TON of work to do. I mean A TON!!!
With his shoulder problems, he might never be able to work out as he should to fill out his frame. Who knows.
Gally is already there. Done. Ready for the NHL game, just has to learn it.

You make it sound like learning the NHL game is so ****** easy. It's not, and RNH is one of the smartest players out there. Sorry he's no Joe Thornton, but give him more than 1 year.

Watching that goal makes me more certain that MPS needs to be tried at center.

Carrying the puck on the wing is not his game at all even if he's good at skating, all that does is take him to the side of the net where he does that sad little flip into the goalie's crest.

Put him in the middle of the ice where wingers can zip him passes and one timers.

No offense, but I think that is a terrible idea.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Some of the posters here don't know anything about hockey. How the hell does Hall not have hockey sense? What kind of comment is that? WoW!!!! And the comment on RNH . Are you kidding me? RNH's farts have more talent then Gally. But because he's on the Oilers we have to rip him and marvel at all the other team's players.

Have you watched Galchenyuk play? He has a load of talent, and certainly isn't looking as lost as RNH has been lately.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I have watched Gally all season on center ice he really does not stand out imo . Not at all fast good passer but imo Gallagher has looked much better as a rookie. One thing Gally does have is good hockey sense and knows where puck is going and plays good on position, but I see his offence drying up soon this season I say he finishes with about 20 points max.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Ya right, good move. As if our kids haven't had their patience tested by lack of veteran support as it is, let's bring in a guy reknowned for not being in shape, a slacker, and a guy that get himself benched for such. Good role model.:shakehead
Thanks for weighing in.

I think Penner was/is a good team mate in spite of his motivation problems and he definitely adds size and puck possession skills to the roster. He's messed up almost everyone who was foolish enough to drop the gloves with him. Pretty decent hands around the net too.

Are you saying you wouldn't have him back even if the Kings didn't want much for him?

I'd fire Tambo right now. Get Lowe to cover the rest of this season.
Or MacT. We need to get rid of Tamby asap.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
You make it sound like learning the NHL game is so ****** easy. It's not, and RNH is one of the smartest players out there. Sorry he's no Joe Thornton, but give him more than 1 year.

I'm still a fan of RNH, don't get me wrong. I'd just rather have Galchenyuk (or have both).

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Thanks for weighing in.

I think Penner was/is a good team mate in spite of his motivation problems and he definitely adds size and puck possession skills to the roster. He's messed up almost everyone who was foolish enough to drop the gloves with him. Pretty decent hands around the net too.

Are you saying you wouldn't have him back even if the Kings didn't want much for him?

Or MacT. We need to get rid of Tamby asap.

The Kings can't score a lick right now and need help in the worst way. But Penner is either benched or in the PB. Why do you think that is? Why do you think he was benched last year? Why do you think he was benched several times before being a King?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm still a fan of RNH, don't get me wrong. I'd just rather have Galchenyuk (or have both).

Well you're not getting Galchenyuk, so you'll need to get over it. Unless you become a Habs fan. Otherwise, what's done is done and we need to hope what we have progresses and turns out, not wish for what wasn't.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Love how Gagner's improved and love his work ethic. But I can't see RNH and Gagner being our centers long term.

They obviously aren't moving RNH so Gagner is the best chip we have to work with - ditto Hemsky.

In a perfect world I want to keep both those guys but we need to improve the team and no one is going to want our castoffs.

Also gotta say Krueger seems like a great guy and god knows the coaching assembly line we've had the last 5 years, but I just don't know what to think.

PP and PK are consistently pretty great with him but I've never, ever seen an Oilers team get so few legit high quality chances 5-on-5.

The game basically sucks these days due to bigger better goalies and better system play, so clearly skill alone can't get you the Cup.

If it was up to me, I'd blow up the team minus the kids and Dubey; any forward or d-man not named Hall, RNH Eberle, Yakupov or Schultz would be available.

I'd fire Tambo right now. Get Lowe to cover the rest of this season. Hire Burke if he's the best guy available, not sure he would be.

If they don't want RNH/Gagner as the1/2 C's, i'd rather shift Gagner to wing, get rid of Hemsky to free up the spot, and bring in another C via trade.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
The problem with the oilers isnt hall or nug or even gagner. Its bottom six forward. And defense.

I disagree re defense. 1 or 2 goals against per game is not bad for a bottom dweller. We need to score more goals. The forwards continually give it away or lose it somehow and then the d have to take over. The puck is always coming back to our end. Granted our breakout passes do suck this year.

The d isn't great but not the worst part of the team right now.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
I disagree re defense. 1 or 2 goals against per game is not bad for a bottom dweller. We need to score more goals. The forwards continually give it away or lose it somehow and then the d have to take over. The puck is always coming back to our end. Granted our breakout passes do suck this year.

I think our D would be looking a lot worse if Dubnyk wasn't playing so well lately. The defense are making a lot of mistakes which thankfully aren't always ending up in the back of our net.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Well you're not getting Galchenyuk, so you'll need to get over it. Unless you become a Habs fan. Otherwise, what's done is done and we need to hope what we have progresses and turns out, not wish for what wasn't.

That`s true, I guess.

I certainly didn`t mean to create a whole Gally vs. RNH or Yakupov debate. But lots of people are clamouring for size, and Gally has it. And the main thrust of why I brought him up, is that if it wasn`t for his injury, I`m thinking he has a very similar season, stats wise, to Yakupov (they were team and line mates), and I think the Oilers would`ve went for Gally, and I`m just wishing that would`ve happened. But no amount of `wishing`will make it happen; it`s just unfortunate, I guess.

(I still like Yakupov a lot, so it`s not like we totally lost out or anything)

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The Kings can't score a lick right now and need help in the worst way. But Penner is either benched or in the PB. Why do you think that is? Why do you think he was benched last year? Why do you think he was benched several times before being a King?
Please don't misunderstand, I'm not sitting here trying to make excuses for Penner. Dude has a motivational problem and there's no point denying it.
You ask why, and I don't suppose anyone but Penner has the answer to that, but ....

Maybe the unorthodox path he took to the NHL has given him too much confidence in doing things "his way".
Maybe he doesn't function well under hardass coaches like Quinn and Sutter.
Maybe he really is just lazy and satisfied with the millions he's already made and the SCs he's already won.

But maybe ... if you can get him for a song .... you take the chance on the man having a little pride in his game and his reputation and returning to form in the place he had the most success.

93 goals and 186 points in 300 games as an Oiler.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The problem with the oilers isnt hall or nug or even gagner. Its bottom six forward. And defense.

The bottom 6 hasn't played enough 5x5 to make a huge difference in games, and have been fairly good in the defensive specialties(penalty kill). With the exception of Ryan Smyth of course, who apparently thinks he's immune from being called for blatent penalties.

The top 6 is playing a ton, are paid to score, and haven't been able to get the job done consistently in their first year left unsheltered by the coach. It'll come, but they are clearly fighting it right now, and the team is following suit.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

There is a reason for that and it's called great goaltending. But that will only get you an extra coffey and a couple more wins in this league. This team spends far too much time in it's own end, fumbling around the puck, making unforced giveaways and by the time they make it out, they are exhausted and then make more errors by not getting it deep into the other teams end. It's a never ending cycle, and if Dubnyk ever goes into a funk, that spiffy GAA is going to rocket upwards.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
We really do miss Ryan Jones a lot. He`s been the only guy who could (somewhat) consistently score in our bottom six since we`ve had him. We`re missing him more than people are giving credit. When he gets back, he will give a big shot in the arm to the third line and will be a scoring threat, especially on break-aways.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Please don't misunderstand, I'm not sitting here trying to make excuses for Penner. Dude has a motivational problem and there's no point denying it.
You ask why, and I don't suppose anyone but Penner has the answer to that, but ....

Maybe the unorthodox path he took to the NHL has given him too much confidence in doing things "his way".
Maybe he doesn't function well under hardass coaches like Quinn and Sutter.
Maybe he really is just lazy and satisfied with the millions he's already made and the SCs he's already won.

But maybe ... if you can get him for a song .... you take the chance on the man having a little pride in his game and his reputation and returning to form in the place he had the most success.

93 goals and 186 points in 300 games as an Oiler.

We have two precious contract spots available. Do you really want to waste one of those on Penner? This team is having issues getting everyone to buy in as it is. I doubt another guy pulling the other way is going to help. You probably could get him for a song, but he's not any kind of answer, IMO. It's time to move on from the Penner saga.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad