Draft a McDavid clone or win the Cup?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
drafting McDavid is not a guarantee you'll win the cup. Its a guarantee your team will have a better chance of success than they would over a longish period of time. This is a very different decision than "tank or go for it". if you have a legitimate chance at the cup you're going to take it.
i'd love to see your players' reactions if they got clued in on the game plan going into the season: look here, boys, we're going to go out there and lose like no one has ever lost before. We think we're a bubble team this year if we try and McDavid is at stake so sorry, we're going to have to ask you all to look as bad as it takes to land that guy. impending free agents we thank you in advance for sacrificing on you your contract year.

edit: as i re read it it was a question of satisfaction upon ending a season: your team hoists the cup or your team gets the first overall pick in a draft with generational talent. There's satisfaction in both but at the beginning of a season there's no way i'm striving for a 1st overall pick vs a cup.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
I would take an 06 cup win over McDavid even though its awesome to witness a player like this play for my favorite team (never saw the Gretzky years) at the end of the day McDavid might get us multiple cups or we end up in a situation like Washington. As long as didn't know the results during the season I would take the guaranteed cup win over McDavid its really hard to win the cup even with excellent players and team building and why there are many teams who haven't won one even after decades.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Ill take McDavid and try to built a franchise around him to win multiple cups.

Come at me ill punch fire with my bear hand I don't care

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Why are there so many people on this thread missing that it isn't the same team either adding McDavid or winning a Cup?

Again this is basically would you rather be a fan of a Pittsburgh OR be a fan of a Vancouver/Colorado/New Jersey except add McDavid.

The first team is likely to already HAVE star players. The second team just has McDavid. At best, future cups are equal and you already HAVE a cup on the first team

The op doesn't say it like that.

Montreal 2 years ago had an injury to price and finished close to last. I'd do that again on Montreal - draft McDavid - and take my chances in multiple cups with a team that has price + McDavid moving forward.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Is the cup win the beginning of a year to year contender for the next decade or a Cinderella cup win?

In the end I watch hockey to be entertained and watching McDavid for the next decade(or his clone), one of the most exciting and entertaining players I have ever seen, fills me with happiness and anticipation. Players of his rare ilk win cups. That's what they do. Give me McDavid.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I don't see how having the best player could feel better than winning the cup.

Like... what if McDavid played for Vegas and if they never managed to put a quality team together?

I'd rather win a cup without McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad