Draft a McDavid clone or win the Cup?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I went with losing season and McDavid.

I look at the big picture and I would get more entertainment out of 10-20 seasons with McDavid then one season winning the cup, especially when you factor in during that 20 year stretch I might win one or more cups

A better question might be would you rather win 1, 2 or 3 cups in a 20 year span or have McDavid with no guarantee cups during that same time period. I probably would go with McDavid over 2, but once we get to 3 I say screw McDavid(I guess I would put the over under of cups in McDavids career at 2.5)

Last edited:

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
For my team, I'd probably take the McDavid clone. McDavid Clone + Matthews + this Leafs core is promising to compete for cups in the future....and you take away a "McDavid Clone" from another team.

And I'd be thoroughly entertained for likely, at least a decade.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
The cup is the cup. You always take it. And there is no guarantee that McDavid will ever hoist one. There is still no evidence yet that he won't ghost in the playoffs. You're basically trading a sure thing for an unproven player. Why would anyone do that?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The cup is the cup. You always take it. And there is no guarantee that McDavid will ever hoist one. There is still no evidence yet that he won't ghost in the playoffs. You're basically trading a sure thing for an unproven player. Why would anyone do that?

Sez the fan of the team that drafted Lemieux and Crosby

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Cup please. McDavid is great but there is no guarantee that he ever lifts the cup. One player can only impact the game so much and there are so many other variables like coaching, management, owners agenda, etc.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Does the team remain competitive after winning the cup? A wise decision can not be made without knowing that.

If it's like the Canes cup, then 15+ years of entertaining hockey > 1 year of entertaining hockey, even if no cup are won in those 15+ years with a McDavid clone.

not sure about everyone else, but I would find the cup winning process much more satisfying watching my team build towards it rather than win one immediately then fade away - gradual progressive gratification kind of thing. I'll take the perennial MVP candidate center prospect to build around and enjoy the process

As a business, wouldn't you want a McDavid clone for the next 15 years instead of winning the cup once and being **** for the rest?

You would have the face of the NHL + the highest chance of winning the cup easily (Most teams getting McDavid for free would be insane), that would result in so much money.

I went with losing season and McDavid.

I look at the big picture and I would get more entertainment out of 10-20 seasons with McDavid then one season winning the cup, especially when you factor in during that 20 year stretch I might win one or more cups

A better question might be would you rather win 1, 2 or 3 cups in a 20 year span or have McDavid with no guarantee cups during that same time period. I probably would go with McDavid over 2, but once we get to 3 I say screw McDavid(I guess I would put the over under of cups in McDavids career at 2.5)

It all depends on what team you cheer for, and what you think they will be able to do in the future. I never said taking the cup meant you had to be terrible after. In fact, the opposite is more likely true in this scenario.

If your team drafts the McDavid clone, then obviously they played terribly to get there. Something must have gone wrong. Where as the team that wins the cup must have been cup calibre this season, so should look pretty good moving forward.

But the answer to 'what happens after the cup' is all up to each fan's honest opinion about their teams future. Same with the clone option.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I never expected that losing would be so popular...

Yes you got a McDavid, but everyone knows that the sole reason why you got him is as a LOSER consolation prize. Nothing to be too proud about.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
IMO this is very circumstantial. If you are a fan of a team that's won a cup fairly recently id be more inclined to draft McDavid.

If you're like the blues or senators or whoever and have never won a cup, i'd take the cup 100% without thinking.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I never expected that losing would be so popular...

Yes you got a McDavid, but everyone knows that the sole reason why you got him is as a LOSER consolation prize. Nothing to be too proud about.

When you are winning 2 or 3 cups with him then that will give you something to be proud about

Crazy to think 15/30 teams wouldnt jump at the chance. Most of the top 15 teams have solid shots to win a cup with their existing roster, by adding McDavid they would jump from contender to multiple cup favourite in a second

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
The ultimate goal of an NHL franchise is to win cups for many years. Taking just one cup guarantees nothing. Anyone with foresight and the confidence in their team to build around a McDavid clone will and should take the player. Besides, the OP never said anything about finishing last, just that they drafted a McDavid clone. They could have used a 7th rounder on him if they found him playing somewhere nobody else was scouting.

Cup = Cup

McDavid =/= Cup

And Mcdavid =/= Multiple Cups.

I take the cup. Also, I would think that if the team (without McDavid) was good to win the cup, they have a team good enough to potentially win it again. This can be used against the argument that McDavid could win multiple cups.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Plus, how boring would it be to go into a season knowing your going to win the cup. Half the fun of watching hockey is the unexpected outcomes. Even the cup that you win wouldnt be as fun as winning a cup in a year you dont expect it

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Plus, how boring would it be to go into a season knowing your going to win the cup. Half the fun of watching hockey is the unexpected outcomes. Even the cup that you win wouldnt be as fun as winning a cup in a year you dont expect it

But you guys already know you're winning the cup next year. :sarcasm: I am sure you will have fun still.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Not sure this poll answers the question you want it to answer. I think most people who want the McDavid clone aren't disproportionately fans of the draft, they're fans of teams with good enough rosters they think "if we get a McDavid clone we'll win five cups"

Alternatively they may be fans of rebuilding teams where it might make more sense to see them get a generational player.

For the Flames I'd rather see them win the cup, since they're on the upswing as it is, so I don't think the team needs a McDavid (although it would be nice to have).

I'm assuming for the purpose of this thread that there's no prior knowledge of what will occur. Just a discussion of preferred outcomes.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Cup = Cup

McDavid =/= Cup

And Mcdavid =/= Multiple Cups.

I take the cup. Also, I would think that if the team (without McDavid) was good to win the cup, they have a team good enough to potentially win it again. This can be used against the argument that McDavid could win multiple cups.

All you say is true, but I would hope that my team builds towards being competitive every year and being a top contender every year instead of just getting one cup. Besides, if my team drafted a McDavid clone, we would have two McDavids and be an instant favourite to win.

Maroon - McDavid1- Draisaitl
Lucic - McDavid2 - Nugent-Hopkins

Among the best top six in the league right there.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
When you are winning 2 or 3 cups with him then that will give you something to be proud about

Crazy to think 15/30 teams wouldnt jump at the chance. Most of the top 15 teams have solid shots to win a cup with their existing roster, by adding McDavid they would jump from contender to multiple cup favourite in a second

Winning in that sense will always have a bit of a shame taint for me. Like the Pens, sure they won 3 Cups but they also drafted 5th, 2nd, 1st, 2nd and 1st in 5 straight drafts... If you have those opportunities (because of those losers consolation prizes) and can't achieve anything with it, then it's a shame (like the Oilers so far)

The NHL has been rewarding losers for too long. Glad they are starting to change this.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I'll have to say that I watch NHL hockey to see entertaining players and entertaining hockey. A Stanley Cup is a nice bonus for players I cheer on, but as an European it's tough to care enough about the teams to actually celebrate it.

So I would much rather see McDavid and Laine play together for 10 years than see Laine win one Stanley Cup.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
This was the first thing that came to mind.:handclap:

Why would a fan of a franchise that has never won a cup choose the McDavid clone option over a guarantee of winning their first?

25 people have chosen the mystery box when the greatest prize is sitting right in front of them.

Read post 42 for your answer.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I thought the OP was pretty clear. Some people seem so draft-centric that I wondered if some people enjoy the NHL draft more than NHL hockey.

So I am asking if people would enjoy a season of bad hockey with the best possible draft outcome and look always ever to the future, or watch their team win a cup.

I am constantly reading stuff that makes me think some fans enjoy a team tanking way too much.

That's a very odd way to look at things... And yet, I don't think you're wrong because of how many facets of truth can be seen in it. However, it seems more like those that cheer for high draft picks are the ones all angry after stumbling out of the block. If any team could go win everything all the way, I'm pretty sure they'd do that.

The only way I see individuals taking the clone is because they think that they could achieve point 1 in a subsequent season or create a future dynasty. Not because they got the shiny toy.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Very difficult to win one cup, let alone several. I'd go with the guaranteed cup. I can enjoy watching a team without a generational talent, and you don't need a generational guy to win. A team could continue to win several cups even without McDavid.

As a Flames fan, I'm still left with a bitter taste from the loss in 04. I think seeing your team go that far just to fall short makes you want to see them win even more. The 14 year old version of me would be furious if I didn't choose 'Win a Cup'.

Now, if choosing the cup meant having an Oilers-type decade of non-stop losing/disappointment, it's another story.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Would any Pens fan rather not have drafter Crosby and won a Stanley Cup in 06?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

I'm going off the basis that we'll never know. Like, we got to make a wish, but then we get memory wiped. If we were aware of our choice, it would absolutely change things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad