Speculation: Post Draft 2024 Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Whom you want us to pick?

• Silayev

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Levshunov

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Demidov

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • Sennecke

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Buium

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Yakemchuck

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Dickinson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lindstrom

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I do always feel we tend to lean too much on certain leagues and avoid Eastern Europe, Finland and Russia way too much.

One argument may is, there is enough talent around. On the other hand, looking at Carolina, they used 6 our of their 10 picks on Russian players. I wish we would have a little bit more mix.

There days there are a lot of arguments against drafting from there but still, it is the 2nd best league in the world and a huge player base and the talent there is just too good to ignore. Same can be said about the Czech and Slovakia on a lower scale.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland

"A few players that we just missed"

Can't have been Surin, the trade came after Surin pick, or can anyone recall if it was just announced then but the deal done before then? Because between him and Solberg it's close.

Could mean we liked Chernyshov or Badinka in the 2nd before picking Pettersson?

Skahan, the 6'5 Anaheim kid over Masse? Went with the big swing since the guy they liked was gone?
Or Mustard vs Procyszyn? As they're closesr comparables to each other.
Shuravin over Blais?

Could easily be all of them. But honestly there's not much separating them.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014

1 Celebrini
2 Levshunov
3 Sennecke
-------------
21 Hage
22 Surin
23 Solberg
-------------
33 Chernyshov
34 Badinka
35 Pettersson
-------------
64 Vinni
65 Skahan
66 Masse
-------------
67 Mustard
68 Procyszyn
-------------
77 Gustafsson
78 Sawyer
79 Smith
-------------
98 Biber
99 Milota
100 Blais
-------------
180 Swick
181 Pitre
182 Burnevik
-------------
212 Satan
213 Påhlsson
214 Uljanskis

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
The more I think about it, the more our top pick makes sense to me. Sennecke being 2-3 years out gives us enough time to really evaluate our crop of forward prospects in Zegras/McTavish/Carlsson/Gauthier.

If somehow all 4 of them become stars (unlikely) it's a great problem to have, and we can move one to address other needs as we likely won't be able to afford them all.

But if one (or more) of them level out, we can probably afford to keep all of them + Sennecke.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
The more I think about it, the more our top pick makes sense to me. Sennecke being 2-3 years out gives us enough time to really evaluate our crop of forward prospects in Zegras/McTavish/Carlsson/Gauthier.

If somehow all 4 of them become stars (unlikely) it's a great problem to have, and we can move one to address other needs as we likely won't be able to afford them all.

But if one (or more) of them level out, we can probably afford to keep all of them + Sennecke.

If Zegras and McTavish can have breakout seasons WITH additional support on offense/defense from FA then yes, things will be looking up.

Reactions: lwvs84

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Wonder when Montreal fans will offer us a late 1st for sennecke
1 Celebrini
2 Levshunov
3 Sennecke
-------------
21 Hage
22 Surin
23 Solberg
-------------
33 Chernyshov
34 Badinka
35 Pettersson
-------------
64 Vinni
65 Skahan
66 Masse
-------------
67 Mustard
68 Procyszyn
-------------
77 Gustafsson
78 Sawyer
79 Smith
-------------
98 Biber
99 Milota
100 Blais
-------------
180 Swick
181 Pitre
182 Burnevik
-------------
212 Satan
213 Påhlsson
214 Uljanskis
have to imaginee Skahan and Badinka/chern prob who he was referring to, mabe Pitre /shrug

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Can't have been Surin, the trade came after Surin pick, or can anyone recall if it was just announced then but the deal done before then? Because between him and Solberg it's close.

Could mean we liked Chernyshov or Badinka in the 2nd before picking Pettersson?

Skahan, the 6'5 Anaheim kid over Masse? Went with the big swing since the guy they liked was gone?
Or Mustard vs Procyszyn? As they're closesr comparables to each other.
Shuravin over Blais?

Could easily be all of them. But honestly there's not much separating them.
Badinka forsure.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
Madden saying they see Pettersson as a future top 6 player was interesting to me. How many times do teams say that about a 2nd rounder right after the draft?
True. SO true. But have you seen Petterson's film? Both he and our third-rounder, Tarin Smith, look pretty legit to me.

Reactions: FlyingV09

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Honestly overall, very happy with the draft.... my biggest disappointment is we didnt add any RHD.

Mews was there for the taking for a while..

Agreed on not drafting any RD's. I didn't like Mews even though he was a RD.

We missed out on Lev and Badinka. I was scared of Carolina picking him the night before and didn't want to say it and jinx us. Still happened anyways.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I do always feel we tend to lean too much on certain leagues and avoid Eastern Europe, Finland and Russia way too much.

One argument may is, there is enough talent around. On the other hand, looking at Carolina, they used 6 our of their 10 picks on Russian players. I wish we would have a little bit more mix.

There days there are a lot of arguments against drafting from there but still, it is the 2nd best league in the world and a huge player base and the talent there is just too good to ignore. Same can be said about the Czech and Slovakia on a lower scale.

Add on NCAA bound players to that list for the past two seasons above round 5.

There was one Finnish player I was hoping the Ducks would have drafted in 6'2, shutdown RD Soini, who just turned 18 years old on June 10th. There were many that mocked/ranked him around the 70-90 range, but was drafted in the 5th round (pick 140) to Dallas. Guess the Finnish league isn't all that, especially since we seen Raty and Lambert have fallen hard in the draft.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Agreed on not drafting any RD's. I didn't like Mews even though he was a RD.

We missed out on Lev and Badinka. I was scared of Carolina picking him the night before and didn't want to say it and jinx us. Still happened anyways.
Ya I was really hoping badinka was there for us…

I like mews, maybe not an ideal fit style wise tho…. But I woulda liked to come out of that draft with 2 right handed dmen at least

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Ya I was really hoping badinka was there for us…

I like mews, maybe not an ideal fit style wise tho…. But I woulda liked to come out of that draft with 2 right handed dmen at least

Apparently, Verbeek has changed his mind somewhat on "drafting for size". Which could mean that he doesn't mind letting some left shot D playing RD if they have been playing RD before going pro like LaCombe, Zellweger, and/or Hinds. Or could just fill it via FA.

Still, Verbeek better make it an imperative to sign RD Moore when his season is up. That will help alleviate some pains. We should be able to see him at Dev camp. They did all that weird testing at the last Dev camp. Hopefully, we'll see that again.

Scott Wheeler has identified 5 RHD in his early top-28 for the 2025 draft.
Tier 2
#2. RD Logan Hensler (US NTDP)
#8. RD Threthewey (US NTDP)
Tier 3
#18. RD Alex Huang (QMJHL)
#25. RD Luka Radivojevic (SLV J20)
#27. RD Carter Amico (US NTDP)

ofc, players will move up or down as well as new players might rise over the course of the year.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Apparently, Verbeek has changed his mind somewhat on "drafting for size". Which could mean that he doesn't mind letting some left shot D playing RD if they have been playing RD before going pro like LaCombe, Zellweger, and/or Hinds. Or could just fill it via FA.

Still, Verbeek better make it an imperative to sign RD Moore when his season is up. That will help alleviate some pains. We should be able to see him at Dev camp. They did all that weird testing at the last Dev camp. Hopefully, we'll see that again.

Scott Wheeler has identified 5 RHD in his early top-28 for the 2025 draft.
Tier 2
#2. RD Logan Hensler (US NTDP)
#8. RD Threthewey (US NTDP)
Tier 3
#18. RD Alex Huang (QMJHL)
#25. RD Luka Radivojevic (SLV J20)
#27. RD Carter Amico (US NTDP)

ofc, players will move up or down as well as new players might rise over the course of the year.
We really need to sign Moore. Surely he will want to since our depth at RD is severely lacking

Reactions: Deuce22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad