Speculation: Post Draft 2024 Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Whom you want us to pick?

• Silayev

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Levshunov

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Demidov

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • Sennecke

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Buium

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Yakemchuck

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Dickinson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lindstrom

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
So the breakdown:
2 SHL jrs Pettersson, Uljanskis
2 OHL Sennecke, Procyszyn
2 QMJHL Masse, Blais
1 WHL Smith
1 Norway -> SHL Solberg
1 USHL -> NCAA Burnevik

Notably:
No russians yet again, and don't even try to give me Mintyukov
Single 6th round NCAA prospect, also a re-entry
No goalie

Size is still king:

Burnevik 6'4
Masse 6'3
Procyszyn 6'2
Sennecke 6'2
Solberg 6'2
Uljanskis 6'2
Smith 6'1
Pettersson 5'11
Blais 5'10

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I am convinced that the Ducks don't have a scout in Finland. Taking players from Norway, Latvia even from Italy last year but no Finns. Last one was Nättinen in 2015. Oh well, maybe next year.
Maybe he has lost his credibility internally somehow :laugh: But yeah, weird to see it, we were heavy on Finns before

Reactions: JabbaJabba
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Carlsson was ranked top-10, even top-5 by most; Sennecke wasnt
In the cap era this team has made six top-6 picks and has gotten this exact same reaction for five of them. It’s probably gotten better than it was even three years ago but I do wonder what it’s going to take for some to learn their lesson.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
In the cap era this team has made six top-6 picks and has gotten this exact same reaction for five of them. It’s probably gotten better than it was even three years ago but I do wonder what it’s going to take for some to learn their lesson.
Fans always think they know better; Devils fans have been bitching for four years now that we dont draft any centers anymore, when in reality most teams wouldnt when they have two 1st overall picks playing 20 a night and you can find bottom-6ers in free agency or trade often

Sennecke will be very good - just wonder if it was worth it to pass on Demidov

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
For many people they should remember 2012 when the Hampus Lindholm pick was perceived as bad as some creating a petition to fire GM Bob Murray and it was all very serious. Other team fans laughed at us. Couple of years later, no one was willing to say a bad word about the pick. We can complain a lot about later forward picks, but the Ducks have a fantastic track-record of hitting the top-10 picks. One should learn to understand the pre-draft rankings are never what the 10 year later redraft polls show and give the benefit of the doubt to someone who has constantly hit their targets. But hey, who am I (or who are we) to judge, right :laugh: Have to deal with couch experts telling how our department of professional scouts did a bad job because Sennecke wasn't a consensus. Oh well.

Reactions: ScarTroy

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Fans always think they know better; Devils fans have been bitching for four years now that we dont draft any centers anymore, when in reality most teams wouldnt when they have two 1st overall picks playing 20 a night and you can find bottom-6ers in free agency or trade often

Sennecke will be very good - just wonder if it was worth it to pass on Demidov
Meh, Demidov still has a lot to prove in his own right. Maybe we didnt pass on Demidov... maybe we didnt have Demidov in our top3, maybe our top 3 was Celebrini Levshunov Sennecke and we got our 3rd best player.

Chicago passed on demidov
We passed on Demidov
Columbus passed on Demidov

There were a # of teams that were very high on Sennecke(Us, Columbus and Montreal were among them)..... well see how it pans out over time.

Literally last year Montreal passed on Michkov who was considered cant miss player at 5(and id call much better than demidov at least as a prospect) .

Reactions: Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
So the breakdown:
2 SHL jrs Pettersson, Uljanskis
2 OHL Sennecke, Procyszyn
2 QMJHL Masse, Blais
1 WHL Smith
1 Norway -> SHL Solberg
1 USHL -> NCAA Burnevik

Notably:
No russians yet again, and don't even try to give me Mintyukov
Single 6th round NCAA prospect, also a re-entry
No goalie

Size is still king:

Burnevik 6'4
Masse 6'3
Procyszyn 6'2
Sennecke 6'2
Solberg 6'2
Uljanskis 6'2
Smith 6'1
Pettersson 5'11
Blais 5'10

It seems as though PV doesn't want to take chances on NCAA bound guys above the 5th round. Three drafts, two NCAA guys: 2022, 5th round RW Michael Callow and 2024, 6th round Burnevik. Although, PV did lose Thrun, he was able to acquire Cutter.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Carlsson was ranked top-10, even top-5 by most; Sennecke wasnt
I don't know what the point of this argument is, but here you go:

Sennecke was
#6 for Hockey Prospect
#9 for EP

McKeen's didn't have him in their top 10. I don't really put much stock in the rest, when you have guys like Catton and Yakemchuk ahead of him on most lists I really have to question it.

Sennecke was a pick with Demidov and Lindstrom there. And those are debatable, they don't pick russians and Lindstrom, even healthy loses to Sennecke if you project them both to their highest upside and he has the injury concern. He has the physical edge for now, but we should have known from past not to expect it to go that way between the two.

Looking back at it, I feel stupid for missing this, because I felt Sennecke was too far away. Even as Hockey Prospect so kindly explained in their final meeting how Dennecke was always showing the talent and the stats just eventually caught on as they were expecting all along.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
It seems as though PV doesn't want to take chances on NCAA bound guys above the 5th round. Three drafts, two NCAA guys: 2022, 5th round RW Michael Callow and 2024, 6th round Burnevik. Although, PV did lose Thrun, he was able to acquire Cutter.
Could have something to do with the deep prospect pool and limited playing time or the early cases we've had.

Although I don't necessarily think there were picks to make from NCAA honestly.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
It's humorous that people are wondering why fans question the scouts picks. That's literally what this forum is for, discussion. We don't gather here to discuss how smart and infallible the scouts are.
It's more the timing and absoluteness of some these statements. Should the scouting staff be criticized for taking Nick Ritchie 10th? I mean, yeah, probably, now that we know.

Should we criticize them before we know? Well that doesn't make much sense.

It's comically absurd to make definite statements about unknowns.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's more the timing and absoluteness of some these statements. Should the scouting staff be criticized for taking Nick Ritchie 10th? I mean, yeah, probably, now that we know.

Should we criticize them before we know? Well that doesn't make much sense.

It's comically absurd to make definite statements about unknowns.
This would all be a lot less boring if all anyone ever said was "I liked x prospect more but the scouts must know more than me"

It's understood by all that very few on this site know more than the people who are paid to do this for a living. It's just part of the entertainment of being a fan.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
This would all be a lot less boring if all anyone ever said was "I liked x prospect more but the scouts must know more than me"

It's understood by all that very few on this site know more than the people who are paid to do this for a living. It's just part of the entertainment of being a fan.
Are you telling me you dont get paid for your hfboards opinions?

@Leonardo87 am i the only 1 you pay?

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Meh, Demidov still has a lot to prove in his own right. Maybe we didnt pass on Demidov... maybe we didnt have Demidov in our top3, maybe our top 3 was Celebrini Levshunov Sennecke and we got our 3rd best player.

Chicago passed on demidov
We passed on Demidov
Columbus passed on Demidov

There were a # of teams that were very high on Sennecke(Us, Columbus and Montreal were among them)..... well see how it pans out over time.

Literally last year Montreal passed on Michkov who was considered cant miss player at 5(and id call much better than demidov at least as a prospect) .
Columbus needs a center and Chicago needed a defenseman; not saying they maybe didnt pass for other reasons, but when 'BPA' is close it becomes between positions I feel

And, just in my opinion, any team that passed on Michkov goofed big time - I believe it was rumored Michkov would stay home a long time (didnt end up that way)

I feel Michkov was closer to Bedard than #3 - no slight against Anaheim either

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

It's one thing to discuss and debate and it's another thing say with certainty what we did was wrong and be stubborn about it.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It's humorous that people are wondering why fans question the scouts picks. That's literally what this forum is for, discussion. We don't gather here to discuss how smart and infallible the scouts are.
I don’t think it should ever be that everyone has to shut up and just blindly do the whole appeal to authority thing, that would indeed be boring and probably just as bad on the whole, even if that’s more or less what I do. I just don’t get how people let it ruin their day, especially given how these things tend to turn out.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Could have something to do with the deep prospect pool and limited playing time or the early cases we've had.

Although I don't necessarily think there were picks to make from NCAA honestly.

You don't think there were other NCAA prospects that could have been drafted by the Ducks earlier than the 5th round in the past three drafts?

Just to give some perspective, here are the NCAA/NCAA bound players the last three drafts under former GM Murray:

Rd 3. RW Pastujov (he ended up changing his mind after he was drafted)
Rd 4. C Lopina (overager)
Rd 6. C Kukkonen

Rd 2. RW Colangelo
Rd 3. RD Moore
Rd 7. C Bowen

Rd 1. C Zegras
Rd 2. LD LaCombe
Rd 4. LD Thrun
Rd 5. C Janicke
Rd 6. RD Francis

That's 11 NCAA/NCAA bound prospects drafted in the previous three drafts. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it appears to be a trend under GM Verbeek.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
GMPV might not want to draft NCAA guys, but he sure love to snag other NCAA guys off other teams :laugh: Only Gauthier so far tho, but it was glorious

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Columbus needs a center and Chicago needed a defenseman; not saying they maybe didnt pass for other reasons, but when 'BPA' is close it becomes between positions I feel
In that sense you can continue with "Anaheim needs a right-hand shot in their top 6". We'll see if Sennecke pans out, he's certainly a bit of a project but you seem a bit locked on your agenda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad