Downtown Toronto

nogutsnoglory

Oct 6, 2011
Best Patios right now:
The Porch
Amsterdam brewpub on queens quay
Earls (more after work crows)

check out Now Magazine for concert and live music listings.

pan am games right now too, stop by the pan am park and nathan philips square (city hall).

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
That's a good area to walk or transit from. Some thoughts:

[*]Walk or transit over to Sneaky Dees at the corner of College and Bathurst (south west of you). It's an experience. Get the King's Crown nachos. Bring a sharpie and add your own touches to the place. Avoid the washrooms.

Oh man, you just brought back some memories. Haha! Back in the day, there was a rumour circulating (at least, I hope it was just a rumour) that if you saw a cockroach in the restaurant, you would get a free pitcher. I still recommend this place though. Huge meals. Quite good too.

Also, like someone mentioned, the Beaches Jazz Festival is a great option for you. It will have tons and tons of blues acts playing on the street. The only issue is getting there. You have to take the subway to Queen street and then transfer onto a streetcar. Worth it though.

Hey Dougie

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
All of Arrbez's recommendations are on point!

I'm not much of a blues guy myself, but there's a few places that are pretty revered for that kind of stuff: Cameron House, at Queen and Spadina, is folk-oriented, and Devin Cuddy's had a residency there. I've never been to Hugh's Room on Roncesvalles, but it's focused on the blues. And I know that Cadillac Lounge in Parkdale has blues / country / rockabilly stuff at times, and they have a massive, great back patio. The Rhino's also across the street from it.

Based on where you're staying, the Annex is definitely a great place to check out, as plenty of people have said. And along with Parkdale, West Queen West, etc., I'd also recommend checking out the Junction. It's a little further off (it's north of Roncesvalles / Parkdale), but it's a great neighbourhood with bars, massive antique shops, etc. If you're into beer, for local breweries, along with Mill St. and Steamwhistle, there's Indie Ale House in the Junction, Bellwoods on Ossington, Left Field in Leslieville, and Duggan's in Parkdale. Have fun!

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
Hunters landing:
Hunters-Landing-patio-on-fort-york-blvd.jpg

Park Hyatt Rooftop Lounge:
2013819-rooflounge.jpg

Against the Grain (lakeside):
atg-corus_350px.jpg

Oasis Rooftop Lounge:
gretzky.jpg

Gramsci

Jul 31, 2003
Toronto
That's a good area to walk or transit from. Some thoughts:

• Sunday at 2:00 PM at Christie Pits the Toronto Maple Leafs intercounty baseball team (yes, baseball) will be playing against Burlington. It's a nice park, and you can just go for free and drink and watch semi-pro baseball. It's right at Christie Pits subway station, a few stops west of you.

• Walk to the Green Room for a cheap cheap pitcher at my favourite dive-ish bar. Very cool back patio IMO. It's hidden around back of a building at Bloor and Brunswick. Do not order the nachos. In fact, I'd avoid food here altogether.

• Take the Spadina streetcar south and get off at Nassau st. That puts you in Chinatown, and it's just a minute walk west to Kensington Market. I'm sure people have mentioned Kensington, but there's always a lot going on there, and a lot of good places to eat. Try El Trompo on Augusta Ave if you like Mexican.

• Walk or transit over to Sneaky Dees at the corner of College and Bathurst (south west of you). It's an experience. Get the King's Crown nachos. Bring a sharpie and add your own touches to the place. Avoid the washrooms.

• You're right beside the Madison Avenue pub, which is 2 or 3 old houses that have been converted into a multi-room pub with a lot of patio space. It's a young crowd on bar nights, at least during the school year.

• Pauper's Pub at Bloor and Bathurst (5 minutes west of you) has a lovely rooftop patio.

There are tons of restaurants around, and of every kind pretty much. You can walk west on Bloor and find a variety of stuff going towards Bathurst. Past that, you're into Koreatown, and past that you're into a strip of Indian and Ethiopian restaurants.

Some good suggestions, but I'd beware of Madisson/Paupers (same ownership) ... very little good beer for a pub (mostly big brewery stuff).

For a good pub close by, go down to Harbord and check out the Harbord House -- great beer, outstanding food and nice atmosphere. It's on the north side of Harbord just before Brunswick (a few blocks west of Spadina).

A bit seedier in this area is the Victory Cafe -- great patio and bar fly environment. Food is edible, kinda. It's on the corner of Lennox and Markham (one block west of Bathurst and Bloor and one block south of Bloor).

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
go to the island, bring beers and a towel and swim trunks and 3-6 bags of chips. if you arrive at the centre island dock walk straight til you get to the lookout pier thing near where you can rent bikes. turn right and walk along the path til you get to artscape/the old school building. walk past that to the baseball backstops. turn left and walk to the beach.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
go to the island, bring beers and a towel and swim trunks and 3-6 bags of chips. if you arrive at the centre island dock walk straight til you get to the lookout pier thing near where you can rent bikes. turn right and walk along the path til you get to artscape/the old school building. walk past that to the baseball backstops. turn left and walk to the beach.

Good call. There's a free Disc Golf course on the island as well.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Thanks for the tips guys. Had a great time in TOR. I was at Bar With No Name on Keele. Thats where my friends wedding was on Saturday. Great patio in the back. I went to Hoops just outside the ACC just before my friends wedding for lunch. Nice shaded patio there. Went to Gretzkys a couple of times and Frans for lunch yesterday. I've been to Oasis before.

Been to Loose Moose in the past.

Did the Jays game Sunday afternoon.

Pretty hot weekend. That rain on friday was refreshing. Especially coming from Edmonton where its been a total draught this year. Seeing all the Torontonians with Umbrellas and i'm walking around with just a hoodie. Went to Firkin on Bloor. Nice rooftop patio where no sun gets through and then did Gabby's in High Park just before I caught the train to the airport.

Great weekend in all. You Toronto people are great.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
its a shame you missed out on remingtons.

I missed out on a lot of places. Just so little time to do it all. The only time I could do Toronto Islands was Friday and it was raining. Would have gone if it didnt rain.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
I missed out on a lot of places. Just so little time to do it all. The only time I could do Toronto Islands was Friday and it was raining. Would have gone if it didnt rain.

Don't listen to the Op...Remington's is a male strip joint. Glad you had a great time!

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
[*]You're right beside the Madison Avenue pub, which is 2 or 3 old houses that have been converted into a multi-room pub with a lot of patio space. It's a young crowd on bar nights, at least during the school year.

Oh right I forgot I went to Madison's the Thursday afternoon after I checked in at my hotel. Nice patio upstairs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad