Dougie Hamilton vs Evan Bouchard (Better shot)

Better shot

• Dougie Hamilton

Votes: 50 35.5%
  • Evan Bouchard

Votes: 91 64.5%

• Total voters

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Lol Dougie AINEC

When Dougie was uninjured Devils had on of the best PPs in history then when he was gone they went below average
You sure about that...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240709_113440_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240709_113440_Chrome.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240709_113428_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240709_113428_Chrome.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240709_113418_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240709_113418_Chrome.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240709_113357_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240709_113357_Chrome.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 9

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
From October to December 2023, the devil's power play was on pace to break the all-time record, then Dougie got injured and they dropped from 1st in the league to 13th at the end of the season. So he wasn't wrong.
He's also assuming it would stay that good with no regression.

What is a fact, the Oilers had the best powerplay in the league two years ago, traded Tyson Barrie and replaced him with Bouchard and their powerplay improved to the best of all time...

So... Dougie Hamilton played on a really good powerplay for 1 month.

Bouchard was on the greatest powerplay of all time, and actually improved it.

Nah.

I'll stick with the best of all time over the hypothetical best of all time if you extrapolate a month over an entire season....

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Define "best". Don't they measure the speed of shots? But they don't seem to track accuracy. Nor do they track what is Hamilton's real talent which is getting a good shot off from anywhere and getting it through traffic and that extends to his wrist shot as well. "Better" is a subjective term that without an agreed upon definition does not lend itself to right answer as opposed to just an opinion.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Bouchard’s is much harder, but he gets it blocked a lot and isn’t super accurate. I say Dougie wins this.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Bouchard. Was it so that Bouchard had several times more 90+mph shots this year than any other player. He can always rip it max speed. Creates dangerous chances out of nothing everytime he shots when other Oilers pp isn't doing their thing. Nothing off from Dougie tho.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
He's also assuming it would stay that good with no regression.

What is a fact, the Oilers had the best powerplay in the league two years ago, traded Tyson Barrie and replaced him with Bouchard and their powerplay improved to the best of all time...

So... Dougie Hamilton played on a really good powerplay for 1 month.

Bouchard was on the greatest powerplay of all time, and actually improved it.

Maybe, just maybe the other 4 guys on that powerplay have something to do with it's success as well. What kind of numbers would Hamilton put up with McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman and Nuge? In my opinion they'd improve even further.

Bouchard has a harder shot but Hamilton is considerably more accurate with his slapshot as well as his wrist shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bramskii

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Maybe, just maybe the other 4 guys on that powerplay have something to do with it's success as well. What kind of numbers would Hamilton put up with McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman and Nuge? In my opinion they'd improve even further.

Bouchard has a harder shot but Hamilton is considerably more accurate with his slapshot as well as his wrist shot.
That might be true... But using him being part of the hypothetical best powerplay ever if extroplating a dozen games over 82, was some sort of proof.

While... the other guy was actually on the best regular season and playoff powerplay of all-time.

One player does not make it, but they can break it. So Dougie was important part, but 1/5.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
That might be true... But using him being part of the hypothetical best powerplay ever if extroplating a dozen games over 82, was some sort of proof.

While... the other guy was actually on the best regular season and playoff powerplay of all-time.

One player does not make it, but they can break it. So Dougie was important part, but 1/5.
But if you have a baseline for how this power play performed without Bouchard you can see how much that single player is adding. So with Barrie running it, it was the best in the league, a player that can’t even find a place to play now.
Don’t get me wrong Bouchard is very good and does certain things better than Hamilton but he also does a lot better than Bouchard.
Also I didn’t mention when the Devils power play was top of the league, that was some other dude. I’m basing my opinion on what I’ve seen of Hamilton for his entire time with NJ not a couple months

Reactions: Three On Zero

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
But if you have a baseline for how this power play performed without Bouchard you can see how much that single player is adding. So with Barrie running it, it was the best in the league, a player that can’t even find a place to play now.
Don’t get me wrong Bouchard is very good and does certain things better than Hamilton but he also does a lot better than Bouchard.
Also I didn’t mention when the Devils power play was top of the league, that was some other dude. I’m basing my opinion on what I’ve seen of Hamilton for his entire time with NJ not a couple months

Let be more clear.

I was responding to the other dude saying it wasn't even close, while using the comical and ironic hypothetical evidence as proof considering Bouchard was actually part of the GOAT PP...

Not sure who has a better shot. But Bouchard is insane, and near the top of the league, so it would have to be close.

Could it be Dougie Hamilton? Yes, but clearly not for the reason he gave...

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Let be more clear.

I was responding to the other dude saying it wasn't even close, while using the comical and ironic hypothetical evidence as proof considering Bouchard was actually part of the GOAT PP...

Not sure who has a better shot. But Bouchard is insane, and near the top of the league, so it would have to be close.

Could it be Dougie Hamilton? Yes, but clearly not for the reason he gave...
I'm guessing you've never really talked to Mirka before, he is quite possibly the biggest Devils homer on these boards, to the point that I wonder if he's actually a really clever troll posing as a Devil fan. Nobody should take what he says about the Devils seriously at all.
I follow the Devils and Oilers very closely and I can tell you there is definitely not a clear winner here, both guys do an amazing job, Dougie just does it with considerably less talent on his powerplay.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Could we have some stats to back this up?

I sauntered over to NHL.com and Edge.NHL.com.

I looked up shot power and saw that Bouchard had 112 shots on goal > 90 MPH. That was nearly double the next guy (Hedman) and Hamilton only had 16... albeit in 20 games, but that's less than 1 per game... Bouch has nearly 1.4/game.

Hamilton's accuracy is also NOT better:
Shooting %: Hamilton 8.2 vs Bouchard 8.2

It's tough to argue Hamilton gets a tonne more shots through either... maybe you have data on that. He only played 20 games, and was pacing for 246 SoG, but Bouchard was no slouch at 220 and is known to be very deferential on his shot, preferring (especially on the power play) to get it down low to McDrai instead... he's definitely the secondary or even tertiary weapon to Drai's patented one timer or the Hyman tap-in.

Anyway... I just figure given your level of confidence, that you must have some data to back up your position?

Reactions: capazzo

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Could we have some stats to back this up?

I sauntered over to NHL.com and Edge.NHL.com.

I looked up shot power and saw that Bouchard had 112 shots on goal > 90 MPH. That was nearly double the next guy (Hedman) and Hamilton only had 16... albeit in 20 games, but that's less than 1 per game... Bouch has nearly 1.4/game.

Hamilton's accuracy is also NOT better:
Shooting %: Hamilton 8.2 vs Bouchard 8.2

It's tough to argue Hamilton gets a tonne more shots through either... maybe you have data on that. He only played 20 games, and was pacing for 246 SoG, but Bouchard was no slouch at 220 and is known to be very deferential on his shot, preferring (especially on the power play) to get it down low to McDrai instead... he's definitely the secondary or even tertiary weapon to Drai's patented one timer or the Hyman tap-in.

Anyway... I just figure given your level of confidence, that you must have some data to back up your position?
My level of confidence??? WTF are you talking about? Just because I said that in my opinion the powerplay would improve with Hamilton on it??

Shooting percentage about how many pucks go in, not about how many hit the net. Hamilton, gets pucks on net from wherever he shoots.

My data is watching hockey games, yes I have a Devils picture and am a Devils fan but I live in Alberta and watch every Oiler game unless they're playing at the same time as the Devils... How many Devil games did you watch? Or are you just getting your information from reading stats?

Reactions: Xirik and sanscosm

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
My level of confidence??? WTF are you talking about? Just because I said that in my opinion the powerplay would improve with Hamilton on it??

Shooting percentage about how many pucks go in, not about how many hit the net. Hamilton, gets pucks on net from wherever he shoots.

My data is watching hockey games, yes I have a Devils picture and am a Devils fan but I live in Alberta and watch every Oiler game unless they're playing at the same time as the Devils... How many Devil games did you watch? Or are you just getting your information from reading stats?

Settle down...

It's fine to have an opinion. I wasn't calling you out, just asking if you have any stats to back it up (maybe you know of some place that tracks blocked shot attempts?) because the simple stats, shooting % and shots on goal (which tracks how many hit the net) make them seem very similar in terms of shooting accuracy/shot selection and as you admit, the shot power argument is pretty clearly Bouchard.

Oilers fan living in Boston, had season tickets when Dougie was here, so saw him at Bouchard's age and plenty since.

Reactions: capazzo

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Settle down...

It's fine to have an opinion. I wasn't calling you out, just asking if you have any stats to back it up (maybe you know of some place that tracks blocked shot attempts?) because the simple stats, shooting % and shots on goal (which tracks how many hit the net) make them seem very similar in terms of shooting accuracy/shot selection and as you admit, the shot power argument is pretty clearly Bouchard.

Oilers fan living in Boston, had season tickets when Dougie was here, so saw him at Bouchard's age and plenty since.
Make no mistake, I'm not the least bit upset. Just confused but maybe you're like me and type in a style that people think is condescending or being rude when that isn't the intention.

I think Bouchard is very good, but he does have the benefit of playing with 2 of the top 5 players in the league, Hamilton doesn't have that luxury, when Tyson Barrie, does almost as well as you do that is a pretty clear indicator that maybe this PP is more about the big 2 than it is about Bouchard.

For me I'll take the versatility of Hamilton over the raw power of Bouchard, but I understand why people especially Oiler fans wouldn't because sometimes it's hard to see that you actually can improve even on the best

Although I guess I'm assuming Hamilton comes back from this injury with no issues, maybe he'll regress. This is tougher than I originally thought lol

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Talking purely shot? I think Bouchard has a better shot. Especially if we are asking specifically about it from the point.

Hamilton is a bit better at activating lower down in the offensive zone though. He's a tiny bit better of an all around goal scorer. Certainly two of the very best in the league at generating offense from the blueline though.

Reactions: Dust

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Bouchard has the better point shot and relies on it more.

Hamilton has better goal scoring instincts and gets a lot of his goals around the face off circles after floating over unmarked.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Bobo has a heavier point shot where as Dougie is more of a score from closer in guy.

Hard to say which is better as they are different

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1