Confirmed with Link: Don Waddell Resigns not be confused with Re-Sign

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Look. What a performance, am I right? Huge contribution to the Canes across the board. Big Don Waddell fan here, thanks for everything man!
Absolutely! As much as we argue about playoff exits, we're arguing about playoff exits every single year since he's been GM, and not clusterf***s of lost seasons outside the playoffs. This has been the longest run of sustained success the franchise has had in its history, and he's been a central part of it.

So thank you Don!

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Look. What a performance, am I right? Huge contribution to the Canes across the board. Big Don Waddell fan here, thanks for everything man!
Yep, complete image reversal from his time in Atlanta. He leaves as looking like one of the better GMs in the league after coming in a complete laughingstock. Couldn't be happier for him.

I've had the chance to talk with him a few times while he was here, and he's just a genuinely good person as well. He will be missed, but I know with the right owner, he'll do well wherever he goes.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
I laughed at the pop shots you took at Dundon saying he was difficult to work for and claiming he did not have good character with absolutely no evidence to support it.

I even said earlier in this thread that I heard this was coming last week, but go on
Dundon is very publicly a hard ball negotiator who is difficult to work with and doesn't treat people well. It doesn't matter how loyal you are to this area or organization, if he can find someone to do the same job for a penny less, he will.

Don is by all accounts a great guy, Tom is by all accounts, not.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I saw Waddell speak earlier this year at a STM event. Walking up his face was, "I can't believe have to waste a Saturday morning doing this." And he killed it. Came off as intelligent and charming. I could totally see why he won the power struggle with Ronnie Franchise 6 or 7 years ago.

Don't know why more sports clubs do this. It works for cults. The face who handles the social aspect, and the brains who does the thinking.
I agree....we should run the team like a cult.

I bet it would be an easy sell to Dundon. He could easily get behind all that free labor.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Wonder if this is 2018 all over again and Tulsky interviews a few people for GM and goes "what a surprise, none of them are better than me!"

The Dick Cheney technique? :D

I was wondering if maybe going forward, Dundon needed to open up the GM spot in order to retain Tulsky, figured Waddell would be easier to replace in the organization, and maybe gave Waddell a nudge. If so, I'm guessing they'd still do a "search" in order to camouflage the nudge. Wild speculation on my part, but a blurb from the official announcement seems to indicate that they may have been grooming Tulsky.

"Since being named assistant general manager in 2020, Tulsky has been involved in all player personnel decisions, overseen pro scouting and the team’s hockey information department, and assisted with player contract negotiations, salary cap compliance, and other hockey-related matters."

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Dundon is very publicly a hard ball negotiator who is difficult to work with and doesn't treat people well. It doesn't matter how loyal you are to this area or organization, if he can find someone to do the same job for a penny less, he will.

Don is by all accounts a great guy, Tom is by all accounts, not.
"...by all accounts"? The first part on Don is correct. The second part about Tom is notable in its absence of any real proof other than your unfounded speculation.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Yep, complete image reversal from his time in Atlanta. He leaves as looking like one of the better GMs in the league after coming in a complete laughingstock. Couldn't be happier for him.

I've had the chance to talk with him a few times while he was here, and he's just a genuinely good person as well. He will be missed, but I know with the right owner, he'll do well wherever he goes.
let's see if he gets another GM job quickly. seems unnecessary to push the guy out. that would be the 2nd GM tommy dundo pushed out. not sure that happened with DW but let's see what's next for him. I think he did a really nice job on various levels. seemed like he was involved in outdoor game, STH interaction, off ice marketing. Thank you DW.

Reactions: CandyCanes

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
let's see if he gets another GM job quickly. seems unnecessary to push the guy out. that would be the 2nd GM tommy dundo pushed out. not sure that happened with DW but let's see what's next for him. I think he did a really nice job on various levels. seemed like he was involved in outdoor game, STH interaction, off ice marketing. Thank you DW.
He's been interviewing with Columbus recently, and even before then I get the impression there was mutual interest on both sides to have him be their GM next year.

I think the timing of this is just to get it out of the way so we can all move on in an orderly fashion while he shortly is announced as their GM

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Being the interim GM could work out great for all sides. Tulsky can have a dry run in the big chair during about as challenging of an offseason as you could ask for. But it also gives him and Dundon time to make sure they work well together in this exact role. If not, there's probably not harm. They hire someone for the Waddell role and Tulsky can either move back to his old role or he can pursue a front office with a more traditional structure.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It could be completely wrong, but just from the interviews and such I've heard from Tulsky, he doesn't feel like the normal GM type and you wonder how he'd do if he would have to be the guy networking with some of the old boys of the league. It does seem like he'd do well to have that other person to be the figurehead even if he's largely the main decision maker. Tulsky is interesting in that he's mentioned over the years in interviews some ways his role has grown but he's also been given credit by folks for things he's pretty much flat out said he does nothing with. I'm not exactly sure he's irreplaceable if they went another direction and Tulsky left because he didn't get the job. He seems to have built out a good analytics department and you'd think it would be easy enough to get the next Tulsky in to manage that or from that group. As long as they maintain useage of analytics at some level, I don't think it'd be a big deal.

I think from what we know Waddell has been good in the figurehead role and the networking role. He seems like he's done well enough on the business side even if he didn't really love that part. And we know he typically did pretty well with the managing up to Dundon part. Being able to collaborate and manage up with Dundon is probably the biggest part of the job and not one you could just pull anyone in to do. A guy like Weekes probably would have less than zero interest in that.
So, now that Tulsky is the interim GM, this is where things get interesting. I still see Williams as being the more public face here if he's still around because literally who in hockey, from GMs to players to agents, doesn't know Justin friggin Williams.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
In truth, we have little idea about how things actually work there. We assume based on tidbits of information, vibes and particularly with Tlusky, the desire for them to have a competitive advantage over other teams.

It’s like in the LeBrun article about the UFAs, he framed it as Pesce’s agent negotiating with Dundon direct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad