Don Cherry's Comments on Wearing The Remembrance Day Poppy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I mean the guy is hired to have opinions that stir the pot. So that's why he's on TV. I don't prefer that discussion on my tv, but it's happened so many times and they (Sportsnet/adverts) obviously want that content for people to get up in a debate to drive buzz. I would just prefer we stick to hockey so I can enjoy my sport. That's how sadly entertainment works.

And I really don't get it... if you disagree with his comments, just simply disagree and change the channel until the game comes back on. If you agree - cool. You are entitled to that opinion, too. We all have the ability to flip the channel. There are tons of things I hear each day I agree/disagree with. I just internally go "Oh.. don't agree with that" and move on with my day. Or if I agree, I do the same exact thing.

But why are we always screaming for people's jobs or claiming people should be fired? Agree/disagree and then we are back to the enjoyment of hockey.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
God, I can’t imagine letting a xenophobic blow hard be the face of a sport. Like at least in America when we had a hockey guy dip his toe into sexism his role was reduced.

Yeah, because those respected American "journalists" like Skip Bayless, Stephen A. Smith who pretty much took every opportunity to shit on the Raptors during their championship run because there a team "Up there in Canada" was not at all xenophobic?....

LOL STFU with that shit.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Stupid is as stupid does.

Also, much as I understand the greater point about supporting military servicemen, I couldn't really defend Don Cherry here from even a nationalist point of view considering his noted shots against Quebec in the past. He's a walking talking stereotype at this point.

I actually do wonder how much support Cherry would have if sportsnet decided to just end his contract at the end of the season. Don't even know any of his old fans who care for his presence anymore, he's just not good at his job anymore.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Nothing freer then forced patriotism
I'm sorry how the hell is an 80 year old hockey opinionist "forcing" you to do a god damned thing ?

He's not an arm of the governement. you want to do the exact opposite of what he wants to piss him off, you can and you should.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I'm sorry, what ? Is the presumption that " downtown toronto" which doesnt wear them ( apparently) is now 100 populated by immigrants ?

You call out downtown toronto, one of the most diverse places on the planet, you are calling out everybody. Even whites.
Phrases like "you people", "they come here, "they love our way of life" show he is clearly talking about immigrants.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
God, I can’t imagine letting a xenophobic blow hard be the face of a sport. Like at least in America when we had a hockey guy dip his toe into sexism his role was reduced.

What are you talking about?

There is no xenophobic blowhard the face of any sport.

If you are talking about Cherry he is one of, if not the, greatest Canadians to ever live and a great representative of the sport and country. We are blessed to still have him as part of each Saturday night.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yeah, because those respected American "journalists" like Skip Bayless, Stephen A. Smith who pretty much took every opportunity to **** on the Raptors during their championship run because there a team "Up there in Canada" was not at all xenophobic?....

LOL **** with that ****.
Is up there in Canada suddenly xenophobic? Holy shit are you actually making that comparison?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

Also, much as I understand the greater point about supporting military servicemen, I can't really defend Don Cherry here from even a nationalist point of view considering his noted shots against Quebec in the past. He's a walking talking stereotype at this point.

I actually do wonder how much support Cherry would have if sportsnet decided to just end his contract at the end of the season. Don't even know any of his old fans who care for his presence anymore, he's just not good at his job anymore.

and yet people KEEP tuning in.

its quite the conundrum. No one likes or agrees with him, yet he's STILL the most popular hockey opinionist on the planet. try and resolve that.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Why are you creeping on people in the shower checking what they are wearing or not?
I’m not. I’m just saying that your evidence is sometimes you see someone (apparently a new immigrant - mind telling me exactly how you know someone you see is a new immigrant?) without a poppy and therefore that’s evidence immigrants don’t wear poppies.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Having a rational debate is one thing. That’s fine and I’m always willing to do that. Tax policy, foreign policy, trade, sure. Alienating a group of people because they aren’t performatively nationalistic enough isn’t rational nor is it worth debating. Not every argument has two rational sides. Let me put it this way. You cannot have a rational debate with someone who is claiming the earth is flat or someone who claims evolution is false. Similarly, there’s no rational basis for saying immigrants are less Canadian (which is absolutely the subtext here). Unless you want to say that being Canadian is not about a set of values and ideals but rather birthplace, and, ultimately, skin tone (because you know no one is complaining about white immigrants)
I don’t know what you’re on about, I agree with everything you said.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
What are you talking about?

There is no xenophobic blowhard the face of any sport.

If you are talking about Cherry he is one of, if not the, greatest Canadians to ever live and a great representative of the sport and country. We are blessed to still have him as part of each Saturday night.
Blessed? I guess if you want to limit hockey to good ole (white) Canadians he’s a blessing.

Reactions: AzHawk

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Phrases like "you people", "they come here, "they love our way of life" show he is clearly talking about immigrants.

so when he says "downtown toronto" you see this as 100 % immigrants ?
And don is the racist one ?

have you SEEN the diversity of downtown toronto ? The idea that its JUST immigrants is nonsense and if you don't know that, you bloody well should.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
it doesn't have to be racist if Don is just implying that immigrants haven't been aculturated into the remembrance day tradition, or that they perhaps do not know about what the cost of the freedom here was.

When I heard the statement, I did feel it was a bit xenophobic, but I didn't feel it was racist. Still cringey, but a lot of people have been reading way too much in what he said. Don't try to guess what's in his mind.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
As a son of immigrants, I wasn’t offended because I just don’t get offended. I also disagree with many sjws because seemingly now their movement is cancel culture if you disagree with someone effectively trying to eliminate rational debates. It just makes no sense to me. I can empathize with people who are offended in this situation though. You just don’t say “you people” generalizing any group of anyone. I see many non immigrants not give a **** about our history and the sacrifices those people made in WW1, not just immigrants.

Could he have worded that whole situation differently, of course but the underlying thing he was trying to say was we should all support and recognize the people who gave us these freedoms we have now. Without them my dad wouldn’t have crossed a desert fleeing death and be accepted here in the 80’s and gone on to university. I agree with don in that sense and donate as much as I can.

Those guys are patriots, they actually fought for something unlike many of the wars going on now.
No he couldn't have worded it differently because he worded it exactly the way he wanted to. If you are an immigrant and white and dont put on a poppy he has no problem with you.

Reactions: AzHawk

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

Also, much as I understand the greater point about supporting military servicemen, I couldn't really defend Don Cherry here from even a nationalist point of view considering his noted shots against Quebec in the past. He's a walking talking stereotype at this point.

Are you kidding?
Look how many threads have been started from his show, how many people are losing their minds on twitter...
people say they don't care, and don't watch him, but people hang off his everyword.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Yeah, because those respected American "journalists" like Skip Bayless, Stephen A. Smith who pretty much took every opportunity to **** on the Raptors during their championship run because there a team "Up there in Canada" was not at all xenophobic?....

LOL **** with that ****.
thats not as bad as Toronto fans thinking all of Canada supports their team or calling a Toronto team, Team Canada.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

But he did NOT say "brown" did he?

I believe he meant ALL new immigrants to Canada.

The problem is anyone who then thinks or says he meant "brown." That is the very definition of racism, expecting less from one group of people vs another...

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
and yet people KEEP tuning in.

its quite the conundrum. No one likes or agrees with him, yet he's STILL the most popular hockey opinionist on the planet. try and resolve that.

Actually, just read an article that the reason Cherry will be dropped the end of the year is because he is not as popular as he used to be. Apparently, his salary does not return on the investment Rogers is paying him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad