Does Ovechkin win the Rocket next year?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

10th straight?

• Total voters

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Simple. Does he win his 10th Rocket like the GOAT did with the Art Ross, and 4th straight for the second time in his career (2013-2016), or does he finally get dethroned?

If he wins, how many goals does he score?

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
He's won 7/8 and is BEATING THE FIELD since he entered the league (9/15 or 9/13 since his 1st win). It amazes me how, despite that unprecedented dominance, there are people who vote against him every year. I guess they'll eventually be right lol

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Well it wouldn't be straight that's for sure.

Ovechkin and Gretzky are pretty much the only two players who have been a better bet than the field for awards, but I'm gonna say no. For awhile he didn't have much in the way of competition but now Matthews, Pasta and Draisaitl are all great, and I still wouldn't be surprised to see McDavid have a huge goal spike like Crosby did in '10 and '11. He'll be up there, but I think a long layoff tends to hurt older players out of the gate (they can heal but it usually take a bit to get their legs back) and assuming a shortened season it'll be harder to catch up. Matthews would be the favourite for me, followed by Ovechkin but at this point I think there's enough competition that the field is the best bet now, especially if there's a short season where variance can have a greater effect

Last edited:

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I wouldn't be surprised if he won again. If he doesn't, then he won't be more than a handful of goals behind the first place player. He's 35, but he really hasn't shown much if any decline from his prime in terms of his ability to put pucks in the net. He managed to keep pace with his main competition for the trophy last year, Pastrnak and Matthews, despite being 11-12 years older than them. To doubt him because of his age would be a mistake.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews is easily a better goal scorer than Ovechkin and PP time is clearly the only thing keeping Ovechkin ahead.

Reactions: authentic

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I think I’ve bet against him the last few seasons, so I finally give in. He’s earned the right to assume he’s not falling off until it actually happens.

I’ll say 52 for the league lead in a full season.

30 if it’s a 48 game season.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Matthews is easily a better goal scorer than Ovechkin and PP time is clearly the only thing keeping Ovechkin ahead.

With a shortened season Matthews has a good chance to win since he is the "King of Pace" and wont have to play a full season...

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada

Last season, both players lead the league with 35 goals, with ovie having one more ppg than Matthews in 2 fewer games.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
voting the field solely based on the fact that he shot 3% higher last year than what his career average has been and the fact that father time eventually has to catch up to him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's kind of weird how the first 8 seasons of his career, including when Ovechkin was at his absolute best/peak, he only won 3 Rockets in 8 years. But since he's lost some of that dynamic ability and is more of just a shooter now, he's won 7 Rockets in 8 years.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's kind of weird how the first 8 seasons of his career, including when Ovechkin was at his absolute best/peak, he only won 3 Rockets in 8 years. But since he's lost some of that dynamic ability and is more of just a shooter now, he's won 7 Rockets in 8 years.

I think part of that is that he's refined his shot over the years, and the competition for the Richard was weak for awhile, but also the fact that it's a lot easier to be a goalscorer when you play off the puck, which is partly why I think the idea that goals are so much more valuable than assists is bunk.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Imagine having Matthews at his peak right now and he still can’t beat a 34 year old Ovi with 15 seasons of mileage on his legs and over 1400 games as a professional hockey player in his career.

They also finished the season tied for 1st in ES goals at 35 each, but keep pushing that narrative lol.

Just makes you realize how a 23 year old Ovi could just mop the floor with Matthews in today’s league.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Imagine having Matthews at his peak right now and he still can’t beat a 34 year old Ovi with 15 seasons of mileage on his legs and over 1400 games as a professional hockey player in his career.

They also finished the season tied for 1st in ES goals at 35 each, but keep pushing that narrative lol.

Just makes you realize how a 23 year old Ovi could just mop the floor with Matthews in today’s league.

Matthews is better than Ovechkin at the same age too.

A young Ovechkin was in a higher scoring league too.

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
Matthews is better than Ovechkin at the same age too.

A young Ovechkin was in a higher scoring league too.

LMAO Young Ovechkin takes a big fat dump on Matthews. everyone has a right to their opinions, but jeez this is such a dumb take.

As for the higher scoring league

05/06 -> 3.08 gpg
06/07 -> 2.95 gpg
07/08 -> 2.78 gpg
08/09 -> 2.91 gpg
average gpg of the past 4 seasons: 2.93

16/17 -> 2.77 gpg
17/18 -> 2.97 gpg
18/19 -> 3.01 gpg
19/20 -> 3.02 gpg
average gpg of the past 4 seasons: 2.94

Ovie has the highest scoring season, but Matthews has the next 3. overall, matthews played in a higher scoring era, slightly higher when comparing their first four seasons

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad