Speculation: Does Lucic want out of Edmonton?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
He cant force people to fight him, most of the time they just skate away.

The opposing team desn't want to fight him because they want to make sure hes on the ice playing.

Before , teams used to game plan to try to irritate Lucic so that he faught and would sit for 5 min ..

Now it's like, leave him alone, we want him out there.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Oh - sorry no that's not what I meant. But the issue is Lucic has a NMC and has made it known he wants to be near his family in Edmonton in the Pacific Northwest - he was originally deciding between Edmonton and Vancouver. I think he would accept a trade to Vancouver but Vancouver already has the Loui situation and quite a few other bad contracts. I don't think they bite. But Seattle is just starting out, could use an extra pick and isn't going to have a bad cap situation plus needs to fill out their roster. And I'm sure Lucic would waive it's even closer to his family. What other Pacific Northwest or maybe Cali team has the ability to take on his contract even for a sweetener?

OK, in that context, I agree with you provided Edmonton does cough up an appropriate sweetener to entice Seattle.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
For all the toughness Oiler fans proclaim that Lucic would bring to their team,

Lucic had 2 fights last year in 79 games, in a season where him getting into fights and bringing a jolt of emotion and energy to the team would have been extremely welcomed

I love to say this but he hasn't been the same since Prout knocked him out.

I think when we talk about toughness, we aren't just referring to his fighting ability. He's a deterrent out there because he's big and hits a ton, and has been known to protect star players.

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
It's a perfect trade scenario for both teams. Eriksson for Lucic straight up. Both fanbases want each respective player out of the organization.
Edmonton could use a seasoned vet like Eriksson, and Vancouver could use the protection and fierce play of Milan Lucic, to protect Petersson and co. He's still a top 3 hitter in the league every year, his physicality could really be utilized in Vancouver.

Both players probably want a fresh start elsewhere.
Both make 6M per year (Erkisson with 3 years left, Lucic with 4)
Lucic has the age advantage being 3 years younger than Loui

Very similar to the Spooner-Gagner trade, it was a very sensible deal for both sides. Depending on the who the new GM of the Oilers would be, this trade proposal has a good chance to come to fruition

Hard pass as a Canucks fan. Louie is still a useful player to our team playing on the PK1 and shut down minutes. Looches contract has an extra year + an NMC.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I think when we talk about toughness, we aren't just referring to his fighting ability. He's a deterrent out there because he's big and hits a ton, and has been known to protect star players.

I didnt see that in the 20ish Oil games I watched this year.

This is new age hockey. Deterrents arent as needed because fighting is down big time.

If Lucic is out there to scare people away from McDavid then it's not working because I see soo many cheap shots, physical play, clutching and grabbing done on McDavid on a nightly basis..and like I said Lucic faught 2x this year so what kind of deterrent is that.

I also didnt see him hit a ton, what I did see was that he was way to slow on forecheck and couldn't get to the dump ins. Hitting lots isnt a good thing either fyi ..it means you dont have the puck and you're chasing all game long.

I will give you that Lucic stands up for his teammates, but theres like 50 guys that would that who only makes 900k

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I didnt see that in the 20ish Oil games I watched this year.

This is new age hockey. Deterrents arent as needed because fighting is down big time.

If Lucic is out there to scare people away from McDavid then it's not working because I see soo many cheap shots, physical play, clutching and grabbing done on McDavid on a nightly basis..and like I said Lucic faught 2x this year so what kind of deterrent is that.

I also didnt see him hit a ton, what I did see was that he was way to slow on forecheck and couldn't get to the dump ins. Hitting lots isnt a good thing either fyi ..it means you dont have the puck and you're chasing all game long.

I will give you that Lucic stands up for his teammates, but theres like 50 guys that would that who only makes 900k

You can argue a lot of things, but if you didn't see him hitting, you weren't watching. He hits a lot still, and is often doing it in the offensive zone on the forecheck, so I don't know where you get that from. He was 3rd in the league in hits after all. so you can't objectively say that he doesn't hit.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
** Please No Trade Proposals**

This thread is more about discussing Lucic's situation in Edmonton. From an interview he did yesterday, it 100% sounds like he wants out of Edmonton.

Lucic was asked if he still dreams about playing for the Canucks

Summary of his response :

- "that's definitely something I wouldn't rule out "

- It has always been a dream of mine

- All the stuff that happened with me and Vancouver in 2011 is all water under the bridge

- it hasn't gone well for me in Edmonton

- he then goes into full detail about the Canucks team..calling them a very exciting team and complimenting Benning and Coach Green

Seems verry weird and unusual for a player under contract to be discussing his passion and dream of wanting to play for another team and then detailing that team.

It's almost like reverse Tampering.

Does Lucic want out of Edmonton that badly?

Milan Lucic speculates on one day playing for Vancouver Canucks: "That's definitely something I wouldn't rule out."

Yes

But i assume Canucks dont want him unless Oilers eat 75 percent of his salary and Oilers willing to take a 5th to 7th round pick as compensation

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Wasnt it rumoured last summer he wanted out but no one obviously would take him?

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
If he wants to remain an NHL player he best come to grips with staying put.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I believe there's already a thread on this in the Trades board.
This has a more general focus and is based on a fresh interview with Lucic. The OP does say this isn't supposed to be yet another trade proposals thread. It's quite interesting what Lucic himself thinks and how he sees his situation. (I believe he's a viable salvage project. Well, maybe not exactly $6m salvage, but anyway. It would be interesting to see his reaction to a change of scenery. But I find it hard to believe Vancouver would be a good fit after 2011. Need a totally clean slate probably.)

Reactions: John Johnson

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Didnt hear any of those rumors for Lucic. There was a few that leaked saying McDavid wanted out but not Lucic.
"This in from Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman in his 31 Thoughtscolumn, his clearest statement yet on the future of Edmonton Oilers winger Milan Lucic: “I’d heard rumours he’d asked for a trade, but that was denied. However, it’s clear he and the Oilers are working together to gauge interest. It doesn’t look like an easy trade to make without taking back a big contract, but the team seems confident there will be a fit.”

It was a big news story last summer in Edmonton him wanting out, they eventually denied it as said above but it was a where there is smoke there is fire type of situation. I just assumed it made its way into the national headlines as 31 thoughts is a pretty widely read column.

Reactions: Stubu

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
This has a more general focus and is based on a fresh interview with Lucic. The OP does say this isn't supposed to be yet another trade proposals thread. It's quite interesting what Lucic himself thinks and how he sees his situation. (I believe he's a viable salvage project. Well, maybe not exactly $6m salvage, but anyway. Would be interesting his reaction to a change of scenery. But I find it hard to believe Vancouver would be a good fit after 2011. Need a clean slate.)

That's the most fascinating thing.

Lucic genuinely seemed like he had a bitter taste and dislike for his hometown after a couple of well documented incidents.

Now he has done a full 180 and is willing to swallow his pride if it means getting him out of Edmonton.

Reactions: amethyst and Stubu

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
It doesn't matter if he wants out, I doubt teams are lining up unless Edmonton offers a major incentive to move him.

He's just too slow for the modern game and its going to get worse not better.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
"
It was a big news story last summer in Edmonton him wanting out, they eventually denied it as said above but it was a where there is smoke there is fire type of situation.
images

Sorry, couldn't resist. :dunce:

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Even if the oilers retained the max 50% he would still be a 3m 4th line player with a full no move before an expansion draft. Him being moved before the expansion would be more shocking then trading a player like Hall in a 1 for 1 deal for a middle 4 defender.

Reactions: Oryxo and MikeK

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I should think that the Oilers would want him out of Edmonton.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Lucic wasn't signed to socre goals in Edmonton. He was signed to bring a physical presence and be the body gaurd of Mcdavid. But he doesn't do that any more. It's kind of like what happened with Laraque. He was in the league because of fight but didn't want to fight anymore and more or less made him self completely useless. He just wasn't getting paid like Lucic.

Lucic contract is IMO non movable with out adding huge additions or taking on worse contracts. Might as well keep him.

a lot of his salary has already been paid in bonuses. A slim chance option would be to trade him to a floor cap team who needs the 6 mill cap hit but would save a few million in actual monies paid

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Who cares if he does? If I was the Oilers management, and caught wind of him complaining in the slightest, I'd bury him in the minors to rot.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Who cares if he does? If I was the Oilers management, and caught wind of him complaining in the slightest, I'd bury him in the minors to rot.

I'm sure he will happily waive that NMC to ride the bus in AHL.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Was there a single person who was happy with the original signing?

I felt the exact same thing on July 1st when Clarkson was beginning to be linked to Toronto.. Just please please please no. These deals never seem to work out (Backes, Clarkson, Lucic) etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad