Post-Game Talk: Does it count for 2? Panthers win 6th longest game in NHL history

Do you believe?

• Yes

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 10 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Figured it's time to discuss the next opponent. Canes have an elite forecheck like Florida, fantastic PK, and their PP is also good (idk if it matters with Florida's PK being what it is). They also are pros at getting bodies in front of goalies, something that Toronto and Boston didn't do for some reason (seriously almost all Toronto's goals Bob was screened but they just tried to be so cute).

I think everyone knows the Canes story, been really good for a lot of years and a Cup favorite to start the year, had a lot of unexpected injuries that dampened the hype, Svechnikov out for the season, Teravainen unlikely to play this round, Pacioretty tore his ACL again, had a poor end of the season after being at a near Bruins pace the 1st half. They then struggled vs NYI, needing 6 games and a terrible OT goal to win there. They then made quick work of New Jersey, winning impressively in 5.

One of my biggest concerns is coaching, Maurice ran circles around Monty and Keefe, can't do that with Carolina, Brind'amour is a good coach and he's also always yelling at the refs which I have found works for calls for Carolina because I mean that guy is a tank.

Should be fun.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I think the series will be won based more on whose liabilities are worse than whose stars are better. I’m afraid it comes to certain defensive problems, the fourth line, and penalties for us. If we do well there we’re going to the SCF.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
I think the series will be won based more on whose liabilities are worse than whose stars are better. I’m afraid it comes to certain defensive problems, the fourth line, and penalties for us. If we do well there we’re going to the SCF.
Carolina has a worser Powerplay than we have. Don't think there will be a lot penaltys called anyway. I think the games will be decided at 5 v 5. Their PK is sneaky good though

Will ne interesting to see against whom Brindamour deploys Jordan Staal

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
GR mentioned on twitter Game 1 might be on Thursday in Raleigh
If they don't start till Thursday, that's 6 days off. I expect Bob to have his best series yet. Laser focused on bringing this team to the SCF.
I also believe the panthers will steal 1 or 2 games In Raleigh. I wouldn't be surprised that there's a small pocket of panther fans, with the close proximity of the Charlotte checkers.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Noooo. The playoff paul name.

No. Dear god.
That's the most horrible juju ever.

Paul George referred to himself as Playoff Paul, Playoff P for short and proceeded to be absolute ass cheeks for years which birthed this

artworks-Zvnuew7AEZAZESCQ-01JAAA-t500x500.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Prominence Problem

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
IMO, once again the key will be the playoffs of the third line. Loustar, Lundell, and Reino should do well in this series.

Chucky, Benny, and Cousins need to produce. They were pretty quiet - not counting Cousins series ender!

Win the board battles and shoot the puck, don't look for the pass. Need a shoot first mentality, especially Barkov!

Panthers in 6.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Carolina looked really weak at the end of the regular season but now it's a totally different team. What worries me is that they are not dependent on Aho anymore. Looks like they are playing with all four cylinders and everyone is capable of scoring. They don't have tight games meaning that they either win or lose big time. Hence, Panthers should try to kill those games early by having a lot of shots early like what they had now in game 5.

Maybe, but I don't think the series against Devils is a proper indication of how well they can score. Both Devils goalies were bad and not NHL starter quality. Canes only scored 16 goals against NYI in 6 games (2.7 goals/game) while scoring 24 against the Devils in 5 games (4.8 goals/game). For context, Panthers last year were the highest scoring team in NHL history at ~4 goals/game.

They also shot at 15% against the Devils, that's pretty awful. If they go to 10%, that's 3.2 goals/game, which is about average.

So I'm not saying the Canes can't score, but I don't think they're the offensive juggernaut the Devils' series might suggest.

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Here's the situation.

Carolina plays like we play, they are just better at it.

They are the #1 forecheck. We were two.

We have better top end talent they have better depth

Their D core as a whole are much better than ours across all 3 pairs.

If we get Leaf Bob we have the advantage in net.

Our PP is actually better (currently 2nd behind Edmonton. Shocking I know)

But Their PK is at 90% which is astounding.

I think they are much faster but we are heavier.

I'll stick to my prediction since round 1

We lose in 5

• Wow
Reactions: MaWa and PSLguy

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
If we win, it’ll be in 7. This series can get sloppy and silly fast

I'd love for a crazy back and forth series after the more clinical butt clencher we had against the Leafs. I feel way more loose and now truly feel like anything else going forward would just be the sprinkles on top of the cherry on top of the icing on top of the cake I wasn't even supposed to have after not eating my vegetables during the regular season.

• Haha
Reactions: PSLguy

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
It goes to 7 IMO no matter who wins. My heart says Cats my gut says Canes…

They have better depth, PK and defense but we have better goaltending, top end talent (with all their injuries) and powerplay. It’s going to be a very close series

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I’m not sure if the break is good news or bad news for Bob. On one end, he goes on heaters like this for 10 games each season so perhaps this broker the momentum. On the other hand, he’s played a lot of hockey over these past 9 starts

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
It’s going 4, 5, 6 or 7 games. You heard it here first!

• Wow
Reactions: PSLguy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad