Does anybody else other then me genuinely feel bad for Horachek?

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
All he's done is show that this team is complete incapable of playing a structured game. They can't score goals unless they completely neglect their defensive responsibility. There is nothing wrong with the way he's been coaching the team other than maybe some odd player selection.

Also the guy who mentioned Florida above has no clue what he's talking about. Horacheck actually took over Florida when they were last in the NHL and they played .500 hockey after he was coach which was a large improvement from last place.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
All he's done is show that this team is complete incapable of playing a structured game. They can't score goals unless they completely neglect their defensive responsibility. There is nothing wrong with the way he's been coaching the team other than maybe some odd player selection.

Also the guy who mentioned Florida above has no clue what he's talking about. Horacheck actually took over Florida when they were last in the NHL and they played .500 hockey after he was coach which was a large improvement from last place.

He is a tank commander. He is opting for lines in situations that serve only to test whether or not certain players can handle it vs lines that normally would.

It's rather funny when a coach opts to see what's going on vs making a serious attempt to win.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Wrong.....they did not play .500 after he took over.

26 36 0 4 0.424 He was 10 games under .500.

He had a good start when he took over and then finished poorly and was not hired back.

From the star:
Coach Peter Horachek had said, following the optional morning skate: “My biggest weapon is ice time. How much you get and when you get it and who’s playing hardest.â€

So then he scratches Kozun. (Scratch heads here.)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i feel bad for him in the sense this team isn't even trying for him.
and I thought he "got" it in regards to actually you know, benching people. but I don't get how you say "It was a tough choice between Kozun + Lupul"

no. it wasn't. the kid was a beaut Friday night + Scored a goal.
you could have benched JVR (yes i know he scored the gwg). you could have benched Clarkson again, you could have benched Booth (just saying i want to see thekid get more minutes) you could have NOT played Lupul.

i don't know if the guy is "head-coach" material. but he obviously is a great assistant coach (

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Players won't battle for you if you don't battle for them.

With every single member of the media and blogger in Toronto crapping all over the Leafs when have you ever heard him go to bat for one of his players?

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
From the star:
Coach Peter Horachek had said, following the optional morning skate: “My biggest weapon is ice time. How much you get and when you get it and who’s playing hardest.â€

This is a bad mentality to have. Why would you talk to the media about using a "weapon" against your own players? You're all on the same team.

Pat Quinn was great at using an "us against them" mentality. The media hated it but Quinn didn't care.

Our recent coaches seem to take a "everybody's against you" mentality. Nobody in this organization carries themselves with any kind of pride and Horachek is one of the worst.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
This is a bad mentality to have. Why would you talk to the media about using a "weapon" against your own players? You're all on the same team.

Pat Quinn was great at using an "us against them" mentality. The media hated it but Quinn didn't care.

Our recent coaches seem to take a "everybody's against you" mentality. Nobody in this organization carries themselves with any kind of pride and Horachek is one of the worst.

Exactly.....and he is a hypocrite as well.....Kozun worked his tail off the previous game and then was a healthy scratch...

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
i feel bad for him in the sense this team isn't even trying for him.
and I thought he "got" it in regards to actually you know, benching people. but I don't get how you say "It was a tough choice between Kozun + Lupul"

no. it wasn't. the kid was a beaut Friday night + Scored a goal.
you could have benched JVR (yes i know he scored the gwg). you could have benched Clarkson again, you could have benched Booth (just saying i want to see thekid get more minutes) you could have NOT played Lupul.

i don't know if the guy is "head-coach" material. but he obviously is a great assistant coach (

It was not a tough choice between Lupul or Kozun.....but it should not have Kozan who sat....why not someone else....Kozun did score the only goal last game! He is not a good coach....poor decision after poor decisions. It isnot his coaching record for me. It is his decision making and it is horrible most of the time.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It was not a tough choice between Lupul or Kozun.....but it should not have Kozan who sat....why not someone else....Kozun did score the only goal last game! He is not a good coach....poor decision after poor decisions. It isnot his coaching record for me. It is his decision making and it is horrible most of the time.

There is a mob mentality, and so if someone is considered fair game he'll be attacked.

Lupul is probably top 3 talent, maybe top 2 forward talent on the team, if he's healthy he's in over everyone except Kessel.

No I don't feel sorry for Horachek, he's coaching in the NHL. He has a dream job.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009

Kozun probably should have come in for Clarkson, or Panik, but alas, he will get more minutes once a few guys are gone from our roster. It is odd though for a coach to be preaching since he took over that the team needed more will and a willingness to score dirty goals in the blue paint. Kozun comes up, never takes a shift off, and scores a gritty goal off of a great second effort. Amazing that he wasn't give more minutes in that game, or was a healthy scratch in the next one.. It's not like we are chasing a playoff spot here, we need to see what this kid can bring to the table, because it seems to me anyways that he has a unique blend of skill, speed, and grit. As long has he can withstand the physical play, and adapt to the bigger guys in the league, I just don't see how he is not an NHL player. His compete level can hopefully drip all throughout the lineup. If your a player on the bench, seeing a guy bust his tail, makes it a bit more difficult to take nights off. You "stand out" more, if that makes sense. We need players like Kozun. That's one of the things this team has been missing.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
I think Horachek is doing a great job. If nothing else, he freed Rielly and Kadri.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
One can feel bad that the guy's dream job is turning out this way, that he inherited a team that completely gave up before he started; however the guys is still getting paid to coach in the NHL.

I don't think he will be held accountable for being forced to take over a sinking ship, and I don't think this will affect his career in hockey all that much.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
It does suck, yeah. But hard to say what the future holds. Leafs may keep him as an assistant coach, but even if they don't, my guess is he's not done in the NHL.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I think scratching Kozun was the right move.

In a bubble it looks terrible but it isn't a bubble. There are other factors like having to play guys the team wants to showcase.

Jokinen, Winnik, Bozak, JVR, Booth, etc are all on the block and need the ice time for opposing scouts to evaluate them.

I'm sure Horachek is being given regular instruction on who to play/not play and when he does actually get the choice he benches the players that are giving **** efforts.

He's instituted a good defensive system and the players have adopted it. So he's shown that they're coachable.

The record is to be expected. Most of the time coaching changes don't have instantaneous miracle effects on slumping rosters.

The Leafs are behaving according to their norm, not the exception.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
This guy is doing his job to a T

Hilarious if anyone thinks he won't find another NHL job. Even more hilarious people feel sorry for him.

Exactly.

I think he's doing a great job. Considering he didn't have a training camp as a head coach, he's brought down our scoring chances against substantially, and that is very important to the players that will be remaining with the organization on how they should be playing.

It's not like the chances have disappeared either, but I'm thankful they haven't been going in for the most part.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Feel bad for Horachek ?
The guy is the hero of Tank Nation.
I love the guy.
Playing Reimer against Carolina ?
The guy is brilliant.

Leaf Nation might not like him. But in Tank Nation, he's a decorated hero.

I <3 <3 #TankCommander

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Toronto went into absolute freefall mode. They were not THIS bad before. The team just doesn't give a crap anymore.

The league should fine the team for deliberately throwing matches. It's one thing to trade upcoming ufas for picks and prospects. It's another to make deliberate personnel selections for the sole purpose of helping us lose (putting Clarkson on the power play STILL for one.)

Every team that misses the playoffs should get equal weighting in the draft lottery and the first 14 picks should be assigned by lottery draw among the non-playoff teams. Deliberate tanking for great draft picks is disgraceful.

Yikes this is just.....

Have you ever thought that this team is just bad? When they aren't shooting at crazy high shooting percentages you get to see what this team is. A bad bottom 5/10 team.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Horacheck went out of his way to tell people how different things were between his style and Randy's - right after his first game!

Horacheck has turned Carlyle into a Jack Adams finalist - the first fired coach to appear at the awards ceremony.

I am sure he is a decent human being but he was pretty sure he could succeed where Randy had failed -I am very pleased to have him as our field general - he takes pride in a good tank.

Ace88*

Id like to keep him on as an assistant coach. I really do feel bad for the guy, hes drawn 2 ****** straws with the panthers and now leafs.

Team First

Jul 18, 2010
It was dumb to fire Carlyle. It wasn't Horachek's decision. He had to take the job, just like Nonis had no choice, after Burke was fired. I love my Leafs but I've stopped watching. I'll be back in September. Actually I'll secretly be watching at draft lottery time ;-)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad