Do you view this team as real Stanley Cup Contender?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blues real Stanley Cup Contender 2021-2022 season?

• Total voters

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Now that Parayko is healthy again if he can play like one of the best shutdown defenseman in the league like he has before, we might have a chance to contend. If Army were to trade Vladdy+ for a legit top 4 defenseman than I would absolutely consider the team legit Cup contenders.

As it stands now they should be able to make the playoffs and honestly anything can happen. Our defense isn't perfect but might be good enough to make a run if Parayko can stay healthy.

Are they Cup contenders? On paper the offense is but the defense isn't, but you never know. Let's see how the team looks heading into the playoffs.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Now that Parayko is healthy again if he can play like one of the best shutdown defenseman in the league like he has before, we might have a chance to contend. If Army were to trade Vladdy+ for a legit top 4 defenseman than I would absolutely consider the team legit Cup contenders.

As it stands now they should be able to make the playoffs and honestly anything can happen. Our defense isn't perfect but might be good enough to make a run if Parayko can stay healthy.

Are they Cup contenders? On paper the offense is but the defense isn't, but you never know. Let's see how the team looks heading into the playoffs.
Krug and Scandella should be upgrade if we want contend.

Reactions: Blues Knight

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Krug and Scandella should be upgrade if we want contend.

7E73C675-1EB7-4231-8731-87C569EC3BB3.jpeg

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Are we contenders? No. This team was swept by the Avs, and the games weren' t even close.

We could be an interesting team if a couple of guys come through, guys like Kostin, Kyrou, Walman, Mikkola

Reactions: Ranksu

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Are we contenders? No. This team was swept by the Avs, and the games weren' t even close.

We could be an interesting team if a couple of guys come through, guys like Kostin, Kyrou, Walman, Mikkola
That is exactly my thoughts.

And we would need to upgrade Krug to real top2 LHD. Scandella much better version of him. We would totally different in defensively. Now we have too many one dimensional dmen.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I have a hard time answering this question. We would need everything to go right with the D group in order to be among the top 5-7 teams in the league that I consider "legit contenders." However, if everything doesn't go exactly right with the D group this season, then I fully expect a mid-season "hockey trade" where we move a forward for D help. So today, I don't view this team as a contender. But between now and the TDL I expect to either be surprised by the D or analyzing a trade aimed at improving the D group. For now, I have us in the tier right below 'real contender' with a couple reasonable avenues into that tier.

"This team."

Perron led the Blues in scoring last year and missed the playoffs with COVID.

Buch would have been 3rd on the Blues in scoring last season and is a monstrously better 5 on 5 player than the guy who was actually 3rd on the team in scoring (Hoffman).

Saad would have been 8th in Blues scoring last season (he would have been 6th among Blues forwards). I view him as a lateral move to the player Schwartz was last season.

Sunny missed the playoffs last season.

The forward group has been changed pretty substantially from last year's playoff team. We're talking about 40% of the top 10 forwards from this year's roster that weren't helping us in that series. We'll see how the lines shake out, but there is a very real chance that you are talking about adding a difference maker to each of the 4 lines. Saad actually scored 3 goals against us in that sweep, which I find highly unlikely this year. There are plenty of things to be skeptical about with this team, but it is just crazy to pretend that the only potential differences between last year's playoff team and this year's group are potential improvements from Kostin, Kyrou, Walman and Mikkola.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
No. Vegas, Colorado, Tampa, Boston, Carolina, and Washington are all clearly better, and then there are a ton of teams that have an argument for being better. I think we'll make the playoffs more than likely, but that's going to be the height of our success this year IMO. Don't think we have the defense nor the goaltending to truly compete with the top teams.

Reactions: BlueOil

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
No. Vegas, Colorado, Tampa, Boston, Carolina, and Washington are all clearly better, and then there are a ton of teams that have an argument for being better. I think we'll make the playoffs more than likely, but that's going to be the height of our success this year IMO. Don't think we have the defense nor the goaltending to truly compete with the top teams.
I am not convinced that outside of Colorado or Tampa any of those teams should be ranked ahead of us. All have real questions and suffered big losses (as did Colorado and Tampa).

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I would throw Florida in there too. They have improved their roster heavily this off-season.

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
I think we can be if a LD steps up or is brought in as a stabilizing presence on the defensive side

forward group is deeper than the cup team, but need everyone to buy in again

Reactions: HighNote

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
shoot even the islanders and panthers are more likely to be contenders than the blues on paper

blues were 15th in the league last year, with health and some roster improvements, might be able to push into the top ten if things go well

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Is Tarasenko going to have the same impact he did when he was healthy?
Can Krug make a Faulk like jump after his first year here?
Can Kyrou take the next step? What version of Thomas will we get?
And finally, the question that makes or breaks every team every year, will we get good goal tending?

Those are the big factors in determining if we are contenders. I'm optimistic overall.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
This roster is easily good enough to make the playoffs unless MASSIVE injuries happen again. The only real "weak spot" on the roster is a top 4 LHD to help balance out Krug-Parayko and ????-Faulk. There will be plenty of options for a TDL move to shore up that spot and hopefully springboard us deep into the playoffs. If Nashville falters (Which could easily happen) look for Ekholm to become one of our top targets.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
This roster is easily good enough to make the playoffs unless MASSIVE injuries happen again. The only real "weak spot" on the roster is a top 4 LHD to help balance out Krug-Parayko and ????-Faulk. There will be plenty of options for a TDL move to shore up that spot and hopefully springboard us deep into the playoffs. If Nashville falters (Which could easily happen) look for Ekholm to become one of our top targets.
I would rather have more legit top2 LHD who can handle hardest opponent, great 2-way dmen. Perunovich + Faulk or Walman handle PP.

It would mean Krug + Scandella out. It would save 9.755mill.$ AAV.

We could have one the best LHD pair with Parayko.

But who is the idiot who would take Krug's contract?

Then we can speak about legit Stanley Cup Contender status.

Code:
X - Parayko
Walman - Faulk
Perunovich - Mikkola

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Disagree on a couple of those, especially Boston and Washington.

Boston lost Krejci and are replacing him with Charlie Coyle. Their new #3C is Eric Haula. That's two guys who have been 35 point players over the last 3 seasons as their middle 6 center group. Neither has managed 17 minutes a night for any of those 3 seasons and Haula is on team #5 in his last 3 years. I'm not sure that the Bergeron is better than ROR at this point in their careers, but even if he is it certainly isn't by a big enough margin to even come close to erasing the gap between the 2C and 3C groups. The top line is stupid good, but I'm not completely convinced that Pasta, Marchand, Hall, Foligno, Debrusk and Smith is a better top 9 wing group overall than Buch, Perron, Tarasenko, Saad, Kyrou and whoever wins that other 3rd line wing spot. I'll absolutely give them the nod defensively, but let's see how they look in net without Rask. I'm not sold that UIlmark/Swayman is anything close to the tandem that Rask/Halak (or Rask/Swayman) was. I won't be shocked if Boston is a contender, but I think it is pretty far from clear. And our contender status is judged in part because we have to go through Colorado, well they have to go through Tampa.

Washington is replacing their #4 and #5 D men with two warm bodies (some combo of Kempny, TVR, McIlrath, Irwin or prospects). Jensen likely goes from #6D to #4 or #5, but I'm not sold that will be an upgrade over Dillon/Chara. The forward group stays the same, but you have 6 guys on the wrong side of 30 who just got another year older. I like their forward group and I don't think that this is the year age causes their core to crash. But I'd take our D group over theirs and Samsonov wasn't the NHL-ready young stud they were hoping for last year. I'm not confident I know which goalie will be in net for game 1 of the playoffs for them. They haven't won a playoff round since winning the Cup (and letting their coach walk) and they have won the same number of playoff games as us in the last 2 seasons. They were definitely a better team than us last year, but they got slightly worse in the summer while we got noticeably better. I don't think they have any fewer questions than we do and I'm unaware of any prospects that are knocking on the door to potentially answer those questions in a positive way. I can't say that Carlson/Orlov/Schultz is notably better than Parayko/Faulk/Krug as a top 3 D group and their bottom 3 D have as many or more question marks than ours.

I like Carolina a lot and put them ahead of the Blues. But I am interested to see what the loss of Hamilton does to their D group, how Tony Deangelo fits in the locker room and most importantly what the Freddy/Raanta tandem in net looks like. They could be right up their with Tampa/Colorado if things break right but I could also see their goaltending being an injury-riddled bottom 10 tandem that pisses away their season. Freddy has been a middling goalie the last 2 years and has had numerous injuries that suggest the stupid-hard workload in Toronto wore all the tread of the tires. Raanta has always had injury issues and has started 12 or fewer games in 2 of his last 3 years. These guys could absolutely be fully washed.

Vegas belongs ahead of us in the rankings, but I'm starting to agree with Marek's assessment that they are too weak down the middle to win 4 rounds. I also think there is reason to worry in net. Fleury/Lehner was a top 5 tandem in the NHL and Fleury dramatically outplayed Lehner. Lehner is a good goalie, but he wasn't great last year and he hasn't started more than 43 games since he was in Buffalo. Can he be a top 5 starter with a 50+ start workload? Can Brossoit continue to be an above-average backup starting twice as many games as he did behind Hellebyuck? I see a pretty significant downgrade in net by swapping the reigning Vezina winner and replacing him with a clear backup. Using those savings to sign a one dimensional winger in Dadonov doesn't do much for me. They've hit scoring issues in the playoffs the last couple years and now I feel like the margin for error is smaller without 2 starting caliber goalies to turn to. I expect them to easily make the playoffs in a bad division, but I'm not sold that they can get over the hump.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Double post for my current tiers in no particular order within each tier:

Favorites: Tampa and Colorado

Tier 2: Islanders, Hurricanes, Knights, Panthers (Spencer Knight is your game 1 playoff starter)

Tier 3: Blues, Bruins, Caps, Pens, Leafs, Jets

Tier 4: Oilers, Wild, Preds, Hawks, Rangers, Flyers, Devils, Stars

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Double post for my current tiers in no particular order within each tier:

Favorites: Tampa and Colorado

Tier 2: Islanders, Hurricanes, Knights, Panthers (Spencer Knight is your game 1 playoff starter)

Tier 3: Blues, Bruins, Caps, Pens, Leafs, Jets

Tier 4: Oilers, Wild, Preds, Hawks, Rangers, Flyers, Devils, Stars
Booker's must be way off their heads when Blues is 21th spot to win a Cup coming season. :dunno:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Booker's must be way off their heads when Blues is 21th spot to win a Cup coming season. :dunno:
Books are based on the amount of people betting, not the actual predictive accuracy of the line. The entire purpose of a futures line is to minimize total payout while maximizing total wagers. They consistently overvalue big markets and undervalue small markets. They have massively overvalued Toronto almost every year I have been old enough to gamble and started following lines.

Also have you checked the lines lately? I got them at +6000 on the BetMGM app when I was in Colorado over the weekend (why on Earth has Missouri not legalized online sports gambling?). They are currently at +3500 on BetMGM. Seems like hey were getting a lot of action having them as that big of a long shot and have started moving the line up to get more money on other teams. Or they just really loved the Sanford trade and Army extension.

:popcorn:

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Books are based on the amount of people betting, not the actual predictive accuracy of the line. The entire purpose of a futures line is to minimize total payout while maximizing total wagers. They consistently overvalue big markets and undervalue small markets. They have massively overvalued Toronto almost every year I have been old enough to gamble and started following lines.

Also have you checked the lines lately? I got them at +6000 on the BetMGM app when I was in Colorado over the weekend (why on Earth has Missouri not legalized online sports gambling?). They are currently at +3500 on BetMGM. Seems like hey were getting a lot of action having them as that big of a long shot and have started moving the line up to get more money on other teams. Or they just really loved the Sanford trade and Army extension.

:popcorn:
I guess Blues were overvalued before season started 2018-19. We were top 5 if I'm not mistaken, it might had been top3 favourite to win a Cup. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad