Do you guys think the NHL will get the same TV money like the NFL?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Nobody will ever match the NFL. Whether it's the TV deal or revenue, I dont think any league will ever come close.

(Match as in current day - as others have said, due to inflation and other things the NHLs TV deal may eventually match what the NFL has today, but by then their deal will be even bigger)

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Bettman was hired to get the NHL a lucrative US TV deal.

Do you guys think the NHL will ever get NFL-like TV deal?

What are the pros and cons from this perspective?
I think if the Toronto Maple Leafs could break off from the NHL business wise (but still be a team that plays in it) they could get like FIFA money, Amazon would be like "shall we merge? We can go 20/80"

80 for MLSE obviously.

Just thought I'd post the dumbest comment to the dumbest thread I've ever read in here. The NHL getting NFL money for TV rights????????????

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
No.

Americans would need to like hockey that much and there's too much action for the average American to be enthralled with hockey like they are football.

Seems pretty obvious hockey wouldn't get that type of deal.

Tough thing with hockey is that it can look chaotic to a new fan who's never played. I took my friend to her first game a couple seasons ago. At several points of the game, she asked some basic questions that would be second nature to anybody posting on HF.

Small things like explaining changing on the fly as she didn't understand why a player would dump the puck into a corner. Or how teams will have 4 lines of forwards; Miles Wood scored to tie things up in the 2nd period and I made a joke about the 4th line coming through. She didn't know that teams would roll through each line and assumed it was like the NBA where you wouldn't use the bottom of your roster if you were trying to get back into the game. She obviously doesn't know every nuance now but she's gone to a few more hockey games without me and enjoys it.

Football somehow manages to consumable to people who only have a basic grasp of the rules and to people who understand different offensive line blocking schemes or could give a detailed explanation of when to use a cover 3 defense instead of a cover 2.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

In 2 hundred years, the NHL might get the contract the NFL has NOW.

There is NO comparing the two. There is NO more perfect match in this world than the NFL, TV and, well, gambling. The NHL's not even in the same league - no pun intended.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
No

In general, the NFL is not as good in person as on tv but the NHL is far, far better in person than it is on tv.

Unless that gap ever closes, and it won't, no.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

I wish I could remember which sports radio show I was listening to a few months ago, but the host mentioned how they had some internal numbers which showed something like hockey had as many die hards (P1s in radio parlance) as the other sports but just doesn't draw in the casual fan.

Even among my hockey friends, a lot of them won't show interest in watching a regular season NHL game that doesn't involve their team (and barely more in the playoffs). But they'll plan their Thursday night around watching a mediocre NFL game because it might have some implications in one of their 10 fantasy leagues.

At least IMO it's also easier to follow the whole league for NFL/CFL because there's only 1 game per team per week so it's more of an event to tune into, whereas say NHL games are more common and less important per game.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
lol... no?

Hockey is a niche sport that appeals to a tiny demographic of the population because the people in charge of the sport have failed to grow it in any meaningful way at a grassroots level by making it more affordable/enticing.

No. It’s the NFL.

Maybe MLB or NBA numbers though?

I have a better chance of travelling to the Andromeda galaxy than the NHL does of ever being comparable to the NBA in any way, shape or form.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No, and I have no interest in NHL games being well over three hours so we can have ads every time somebody farts like in the NFL. It's already bad enough with the hour-long intermissions in the playoffs so we can listen to guys in the studio cackle at their own jokes.

I never understood why people are interested in the league making more money. The league exists and your team exists. That's about as far as the league's financial well-being should concern you.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
LOL, yeah, never gonna happen.

1727376408838.png

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
In 2 hundred years, the NHL might get the contract the NFL has NOW.

There is NO comparing the two. There is NO more perfect match in this world than the NFL, TV and, well, gambling. The NHL's not even in the same league - no pun intended.
I was about to say, in 200 years the Earth will be so hot I'm not sure if they'll be able to produce ice.

Then I thought a little more about it, and yeah maybe it's so freaking hot outside that the NFL has to play indoors in a hockey arena?

Glad to be dead well before that. What a strange discussion. Might as well go all Monty Python in here.

No, and I have no interest in NHL games being well over three hours so we can have ads every time somebody farts like in the NFL. It's already bad enough with the hour-long intermissions in the playoffs so we can listen to guys in the studio cackle at their own jokes.

I never understood why people are interested in the league making more money. The league exists and your team exists. That's about as far as the league's financial well-being should concern you.
I like NBA basketball but don't watch it because the last 2 minutes takes 30 minutes.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I wish I could remember which sports radio show I was listening to a few months ago, but the host mentioned how they had some internal numbers which showed something like hockey had as many die hards (P1s in radio parlance) as the other sports but just doesn't draw in the casual fan.

Even among my hockey friends, a lot of them won't show interest in watching a regular season NHL game that doesn't involve their team (and barely more in the playoffs). But they'll plan their Thursday night around watching a mediocre NFL game because it might have some implications in one of their 10 fantasy leagues.
Well the NHL in Canada is sure doing their best to get into this whole gambling market that the NFL has mastered so well.

I just don't think they'll ever get the fantasy hockey to be as popular as fantasy football. I mean I live in Edmonton and there are far more fantasy football leagues around than fantasy hockey, even though the basis is the same and they are done on the same app.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Nope. Hockey will always viewed as a niche market in the states. No matter what some people hope or think. Football is a religion in many states
The difference is less about hardcore fan interest and more about the value of that particular form of presentation. Football works so well with TV presentation that that's always going to be of high value. Pretty much every other sport is at best having to play catch-up.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

what perspective? You haven't provided one.

are you seriously asking what the cons of a lucrative TV deal is?

My answer to your question is : not in any time soon. The two sports are on different levels in terms of worth.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The two sports are on different levels in terms of worth.
Honestly, it's not even that. It is hypothetically possible, in some kind of bizarro world, that someday football and hockey will be on a level playing field w/r/t total worth. But it won't be through TV revenue being level, because hockey does not translate to TV anywhere near as sublimely perfectly as football. And you can't fix that without fundamentally changing what hockey is.

It is not a coincidence that football's popularity really took off at the same time as the rise of television.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Probably no but I bet the gap closes. Goodell is hated way more than Bettman is and die hard NFL fans are actually slowly leaving the game.

The NFL is so far ahead though it will never be matched.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
It's crazy how much more money it is despite playing ~20% of the total games (including playoffs).

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Of course not.

Do you think the AHL will ever get the NHL like TV deal?

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
They need to convince a star player to start dating Justin Bieber, get that casual fan base going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad