Do the Leafs win a cup in the next 10 years?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
When Marner and Matthews ELC's are up, things will get ugly. I think their best chance is season and next.

Assuming both Matthews and Marner get better and earn every penny of their new contracts, i wouldn't call that a disaster.

They currently have 33.3M cap tied on players signed for 19-20.

Nylander, Matthews, Marner, Jvr, Bozak, Komarov, Gardiner, Hainsey notable players not included in that sum.... pick the guys you want to keep and move on.

Assuming in 19-20 the cap is up at 80M, i'd say 46.7M is enough to get the young guns signed and you still have ~25M to fill the holes you need to fill (top 9 forward(s), top 4 dman, couple bottom 6 and bottom pairing guys and backup).

Leafs have prepared for this well. They'll be fine, especially with all the young talent they have in the organization outside of the guys who play in the NHL already.

Also as they establish themselves as a top team in the NHL, they will have no problem attracting more and more FA's willing to take cheaper deals.

I think their current cap situation is a bit of an illusion from long-term standpoint.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad