Do the Leafs win a cup in the next 10 years?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Quite simple. Do the Leaf's win a cup in the next 10 years?

A lot of people will say "not without upgrading their defense" etc etc. This is the assumption that management is proactive and will try to improve the team upon what it is today as obviously the defense needs to be upgraded and you don't just sit on your hands if the problem is obvious.

I would prefer to hear from non-Leaf fans on this.

matt1396

Jul 28, 2012
Toronto
Tbh I think they do, hell I think they have a better shot than Edmonton solely because I think their management is slightly more competent than Edmonton's, but that's just my opinion.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
i dont really think anyone can predict like 6-10 years from now. the teams will be almost completely different.

That said, they have a chance in the next 3, i'd say. Things could get hairy when those 3 ELC's are up

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Going to be going with a no. They are lacking on the blue line still, are questionable in net, and will eventually start feeling the cap crunch once Matthews and Co. need to be paid. They're definitely going to be an exciting team, but I think they have too many holes to warrant being labeled a favorite or to expect them to get what they need to push them over the edge. With those in mind, I'll give the odds to the field for the next decade. Frankly, the only team that I'd be willing to bet money on expecting them to win a Cup in the next 5-10 years would be the Pens winning one more.

Privet

Sep 25, 2015
Victoria, BC
Yes, I think they win in the next 1-3 years to be honest. They have a very good team, good coach and good gm. All the criteria to be a cup contending team.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Going to be going with a no. They are lacking on the blue line still, are questionable in net, and will eventually start feeling the cap crunch once Matthews and Co. need to be paid. They're definitely going to be an exciting team, but I think they have too many holes to warrant being labeled a favorite or to expect them to get what they need to push them over the edge. With those in mind, I'll give the odds to the field for the next decade. Frankly, the only team that I'd be willing to bet money on expecting them to win a Cup in the next 5-10 years would be the Pens winning one more.

Maybe, but a few years ago, wouldn't people have said the same thing about the Pens? Lacking on the blueline, questionable with Fleury in net, and will feel the crunch when Crosby/Malkin get paid?

EDIT: And I'm NOT comparing Matthews to Crosby, just the situation you mentioned.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Sure, and that's not to say that they can't win a cup, just that I wouldn't lay odds on them. Under no circumstance is a cup impossible to imagine, but I'd just say that I'd bet against them as of right now then bet on them.

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
I'll have to vote no. I put them at as likely as any other team to win a cup in the next 10 years but no team strikes me as a sure thing in the next decade.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I don't know, don't want to get my hopes up. I just want to see a good story and build-up if we do.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Nothing is a guarantee, but the leafs are the safest bet to win a cup in the next 2-10 years.

Not next season or the one following, but after that for the next 8 seasons, the leafs will be dominant.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Maybe, but a few years ago, wouldn't people have said the same thing about the Pens? Lacking on the blueline, questionable with Fleury in net, and will feel the crunch when Crosby/Malkin get paid?

EDIT: And I'm NOT comparing Matthews to Crosby, just the situation you mentioned.

The Penguins also have had a close to Norris caliber defenseman during Crosby's entire tenure, which the Leafs currently don't have. The 2009 Penguins won because Crosby and Malkin had near historic playoff runs. It obviously wasn't sustainable, seeing how they didn't accomplish anything from 2010-2015. That kinda proves the other guy's point, because the Penguins lack of success during those year was due to the things you mentioned and then some.

They didn't win again until their depth was phenomenal (which the Leafs already have satisfied), their defense was deep and fit their style of play and they had an elite goalie. The Leafs don't have those last 2 yet. Are the Leafs going to be the Capitals or the Hawks? It's impossible to say right now, but based on how their roster is currently built, I'm thinking it's more likely they lean towards the Capitals.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I think the difference is the Pens have Crosby and another near Crosby in Malkin. It's still to be seen if Matthews will even reach Malkin level, although with Malkin's injuries it could be a similar impact.

As for winning the cup in the next 10 years, realistically the odds are against them. Unless they find a way to significantly improve their blueline, they'll continue to be in amongst a grouping of teams that do have a chance at the cup, but it becomes a game of luck at that point and there are simply too many contenders.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think it's likely the Leafs will have a team that's good enough to win the cup, and fairly soon. The problem is there are a quite a few teams who are good enough to win the cup every year, and there are no guarantees. We could easily be like Washington or San Jose and do everything right and have a contending team, yet fall short

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I can't think of a lot of teams I'd pick to be better over the next 10 years. Obviously nothing guarantees a Cup in today's NHL. But they are probably more likely to win it than not.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The Penguins also have had a close to Norris caliber defenseman during Crosby's entire tenure, which the Leafs currently don't have.

True, but I'm talking about what people were thinking a few years ago (not back in 2009 before Crosby and Malkin even signed these huge deals). Letang is fantastic, but he was missing time due to illness and injuries. This past cup, Letang didn't contribute at all to this recent Stanley cup run so the Pens didn't have a Norris caliber defenseman for the vast majority of this season and all of the playoffs.

The 2009 Penguins won because Crosby and Malkin had near historic playoff runs. It obviously wasn't sustainable, seeing how they didn't accomplish anything from 2010-2015. That kinda proves the other guy's point, because the Penguins lack of success during those year was due to the things you mentioned and then some.

They didn't win again until their depth was phenomenal (which the Leafs already have satisfied), their defense was deep and fit their style of play and they had an elite goalie. The Leafs don't have those last 2 yet.

See, that's where I disagree it proves the other guys point for exactly some of the reasons you stated. First off, the Leafs depth is phenomenal and they have a very good prospect pool as well. Once they sign their young players to their next contract, I don't see that depth just going away. Also, their defense, on paper, isn't any worse at the core of it than the Pens was this past season (- Letang), and IMO, will only get better. They've got a fantastic front office and a great coach. Of course, Crosby is the best player in the world and Malkin, when healthy and motivated isn't far off. Still, the Leafs talent upfront is one of the best in the NHL from top to bottom IMO.

Goaltending, you are right in that Murray was elite, but a couple years ago, when I felt people thought that way about the Pens, nobody expected Murray to suddenly come onto the scene and be what he is. I also think Andersen can be better than he was this past season, his first on a new team with a new system.

Of course I'm not saying they 100% will win a cup in the next 10 years, but if I had to pick 5 teams to win a cup in that timeframe, they'd be one of them, acknowledging that it's very tough to win one so odds are against pretty much any team, and that a lot can happen over this timeframe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad