Seravalli: Dmitry Orlov looking for an $8 mil AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Does he get it?

• Yes

Votes: 45 9.4%
  • No

Votes: 434 90.6%

• Total voters

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Pretty expensive but makes sense if Severson is at 6.25mil and Gavrikov is at 5.9mil. Hes better than both guys.
Gavrikov signed for 2 years - so very little risk on the back-end. Severson signed until he's 36, which is likely about halfway thru the contract that Orlov is looking for.

Not an Orlov fan at that AAV. YMMV. Just likely to be another example of a team making a bad UFA decision that they regret in the future - which is essentially 90% of the UFA contracts signed.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
He’s been a better defenseman than Carlson for some time. He’s averaged over a minute more per game at even strength with the Caps than Carlson over the last four seasons. Almost two minutes more per game than Carlson this last season before getting dealt.

Orlov has actually been much better all around D man than Carlson for several years now, he just doesn't have the goal and assist stats JC74 does in large part due to how they were used.
That's definitely a consideration, but I guess I'm coming from the perspective that if you're paying someone $8M (again prices from pre-COVID), they should have demonstrated that they can handle the full workload of a 1D without having someone like a Carlson on their team taking away minutes on the PP (or having a Lindholm taking away PK minutes, using a Ducks example).

Reactions: Random schmoe

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
With Severson getting 6.5 for 8 years, Orlov has a shot at 8M per year.
Severson just got 6.5aav so makes sense
This is my thought as well. Whether he is worth 8M isn't relevant, it whether any teams out there are desperate enough to pay it, and for a good all around top pair defenseman like Orlov and a shortage of top pair defensemen, I could see Orlov getting 8M per year.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Jesus H Christ… that is steep, very steep.

We all say this every UFA season but players get signed to those contracts every time so I won’t be surprised if he gets it.

He’s a good player, don’t get me wrong.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Jesus H Christ… that is steep, very steep.

We all say this every UFA season but players get signed to those contracts every time so I won’t be surprised if he gets him.

He’s a good player, don’t get me wrong.
He’s somewhat “lucky” there’s not much competition in this UFA year, so he might just be able to get a contract he’s looking for. He’s got a ring, so I don’t think he is necessarily looking for a contender

Reactions: Gustave

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
A team will give him 8... It's the offseason!! .. shit like this always happens

If he gets 8 tho, it'll be about 5 years long.. shoot for the stars.. it'll be Orlovs last deal so make it a dandy

Take whatever deal you get - don't be a John Klingberg…
This exactly... Take as much as possible for as long as possible

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Guys been seriously undervalued his who career. I think he can get close to that.

Bruins fans may be able to refute this but haven’t there been some rumblings within parts of the B’s organization that some would prefer to keep Orlov over Lindholm?
Those rumblings came from a sports radio producers with zero actual connections, don't think there's any actual truth to them. Sweeney specifically called McAvoy, Lindholm, and Carlo the core of our defense to build around at his post-playoffs presser, there's very little chance any of those 3 get moved.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
7m on a small term would be ok to me. If someone goes 8 with term, that team is cooked.

He looked phenomenal in Boston imo.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I can see near 8x5 pretty easily. That takes him to his 36 year-old season. That’s not any different than giving a typical 28 year-old first time UFA an 7-8 year deal which is now the standard. Orlov looks as good as ever. I think he will age a lot better than some of these other guys tied into deals into their mid-30’s.

My guess is it’ll be around 7.8 x 5 when he signs.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
10 + = franchise # 1
9 - # 1
8 - low end #1
7-8 = elite #2
6-7 = # 2
5-6 = 2-3
4-5 = 3-4
3-4 = # 4

For me he should around 6.5-7 but if he wants term like 5 or 6 years it should be closer to 6 m.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad