Did any credible scouting outlet have misgivings about Lafreniere or Yakupov ?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Half a season over 4 seasons is absolutely cherry picking. How did he do the first half? Or the other 3 seasons?

He did fine all season long and improved the last half of the season. I know this is hard to believe but first overalls are like other players that improve. He's 22 years old so his latest production is not cherry picking random games. It's a young player improving. Taking the LAST 41 games he played is not random in the slightest. Maybe if we took some random 41 game sample size in his second season sure. But he was good in the first half but wasn't getting the same production as he did in the second half. He gained chemistry with his linemates and improved as a player. And once again, over the course of the ENTIRE season 57 points, most of them at even strength is 1st line production. Is he currently a superstar? No. He's also 22. Give it a rest. I know you have your ego at stake here but you will look awfully silly pretty soon.

As I said, if I came into the Rangers board and told you by the end of year 4 his career high would be 57pts and he would have been passed by up to 4-5 players in the draft I would have been banned for trolling.

His first three seasons are relevant as MacKinnon's 2-4 seasons. Not at all. Has he been a disappiontment in his first 3 seasons? Most Rangers fans would agree. Does it matter in 2024? No. Does it matter in the history of hockey board on HF if we're analyzing his whole career? Sure, maybe? But no one really cares about that at this point.

Reactions: Breakfast of Champs

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He did fine all season long and improved the last half of the season. I know this is hard to believe but first overalls are like other players that improve. He's 22 years old so his latest production is not cherry picking random games. It's a young player improving. Taking the LAST 41 games he played is not random in the slightest. Maybe if we took some random 41 game sample size in his second season sure. But he was good in the first half but wasn't getting the same production as he did in the second half. He gained chemistry with his linemates and improved as a player. And once again, over the course of the ENTIRE season 57 points, most of them at even strength is 1st line production. Is he currently a superstar? No. He's also 22. Give it a rest. I know you have your ego at stake here but you will look awfully silly pretty soon.
My ego? I was one of the biggest supporters of Lafreniere in his prospect thread and constantly defending him :laugh:

He has simply not been nearly as advertised and expected and has been passed by a few players in his draft class.

This idea that “oh he finished the season this way so it’ll continue” often doesn’t work out.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
My ego? I was one of the biggest supporters of Lafreniere in his prospect thread and constantly defending him :laugh:

He has simply not been nearly as advertised and expected and has been passed by a few players in his draft class.

This idea that “oh he finished the season this way so it’ll continue” often doesn’t work out.

Sure, it could not work out but calling it cherry picking is disingenious to make it seem like people are picking game 6-46 in his sophore year. The LAST 41 games of a young player are not random games. And you keep harping on his first three seasons. Once again, who cares? Why is that relevant now?

Last edited:
Reactions: Breakfast of Champs

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Sure, it could not work out but calling it cherry picking is disingenious to make it seem like people are picking game 6-46 in his sophore year. The LAST 41 games of a young player are not random games. And you keep harping on his first three seasons. Once again, who cares? Why is that relevant now?
Ya people need to forget who he was at 18, and forget who he was the last 3 seasons.

If you had no idea who he was and you watched the Rangers this year and found out he was 22 most people's responses would he "that guy will be a beast at 25-26". With any normal 22 year old you wouldn't look at their production from ages 19-21 as any sort of limit on their future potential,

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Ya people need to forget who he was at 18, and forget who he was the last 3 seasons.

If you had no idea who he was and you watched the Rangers this year and found out he was 22 most people's responses would he "that guy will be a beast at 25-26". With any normal 22 year old you wouldn't look at their production from ages 19-21 as any sort of limit on their future potential,

Because some (mostly generational type) players came in and lit the league on fire at 18 years old people for some weird reason think you HAVE TO do that as a 1st overall player or else you'll never do that. He wasn't a first overall player but Kucherov had 18 points in 52 games in his age 21 season (ok full disclosure he turned 21 in June, so not quite 21). Sure that was his rookie year, but why do we think he'd do anything better if he joined the NHL at age 18? Why are Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, and Matthews the only players that have to be modelled after? As I mentioned MacKinnon had an unorthodox trajectory. You can still be a very good player without dominating from age 18 on. And most Rangers fans aren't expecting him to on the level of players mentioned. I'm not sure he was ever supposed to be. Maybe comparable to Matthews as a prospect? MAYBE?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
His play last season was a disappointment. His play this season is the opposite of a disappointment. NYR fans are extremely pleased by Lafs development this season. If we had a redraft today I think NYR fans would take Laf number 1 again.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
He’s been a proper top 6 guy this year. Any conversation about being a bust is over as far as I’m concerned.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
As a Canes fan I’ve liked him as a player if you take away the draft aspect for a year or so. He seems like he’s becoming what we are starting to consider a modern “power forward”. That used to mean a lot more physicality than it does now. He forechecks hard and can hit, and he can definitely finish. He’s not the biggest creator but he can drive the net with or without the puck. He’s a valuable player, you have to separate his draft spot from him as a player and accept what you have, which is a pretty damn good player. I wouldn’t regret the pick if I was a Ranger fan.

Reactions: NYRfan85

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad