Confirmed with Link: Dickinson signs ELC 3x $975k, AAV $1.758M

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Barracuda about to have a crazy good defense? Mukh, Dickinson, Carlsson, Pohlkamp . . .

Dickinson isn't eligible to play in the AHL, since he was drafted out of the CHL (OHL is part of CHL) and is under 20. He's most likely going back to the OHL with a theoretical possibility of playing in the NHL. Might get 9 games in the NHL though, which is the most he can get without having a year burned on his ELC (edited).

Last edited:

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Ah ok. So this is just to give him some pre-season games and see if he can make the team out of camp I guess.

Kind of. Really it is just to make sure he is signed. If he plays in the OHL, his contract slides. But this is just confirmation that he signed and now can't pull any shenanigans down the road. (and the Sharks can't pull any shenanigans by refusing to sign him).

This is really a formality more than anything. Musty signed his ELC not long after being drafted and he's likely back to the OHL this season too.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Dickinson isn't eligible to play in the AHL, since he was drafted out of the CHL (OHL is part of CHL) and is under 20. He's most likely going back to the OHL with a theoretical possibility of playing in the NHL. Might get 9 games in the NHL though, which is the most he can get without having to stay with the Sharks full time in 24-25.
Dickinson can play more than nine games with the Sharks this year and be sent down to the OHL. However, doing so burns a year of his ELC (we would not be able to slide it forward a year).

A player reassigned to juniors cannot be called back up until his junior season ends (except for an emergency recall, after the WJC if Dickinson is selected, or if he's not going to miss more than one OHL game).

I believe it is very unlikely the Sharks do this. I think he's reassigned back to London early in training camp.

Reactions: Sandisfan

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I forsee Dickinson being an early cut in training camp, his processing and reaction time was a step behind even other players in the prospect scrimmage

I doubt he gets any NHL games, that tryout probably comes next year, the hope this season is that Oliver Bonk makes the Flyers out of camp and Dickinson gets to be the #1D for London and dominates on a great team

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Dickinson can play more than nine games with the Sharks this year and be sent down to the OHL. However, doing so burns a year of his ELC (we would not be able to slide it forward a year).

I believe it is very unlikely the Sharks do this. I think he's reassigned back to London early in training camp.

Fair enough. Nobody wants to burn that ELC though, not unless he's in NHL full-time (extremely unlikely).

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Dickinson isn't eligible to play in the AHL, since he was drafted out of the CHL (OHL is part of CHL) and is under 20. He's most likely going back to the OHL with a theoretical possibility of playing in the NHL. Might get 9 games in the NHL though, which is the most he can get without having to stay with the Sharks full time in 24-25.
Technically they can send him back to juniors at any time even after 80 games. But if they don't want to burn a year of his els they'll send him back before 9 games.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Technically they can send him back to juniors at any time even after 80 games. But if they don't want to burn a year of his els they'll send him back before 9 games.
Given that the top prospects now get 8 year deals after their ELC I could see it benefiting a team to burn a year of ELC where the player doesn’t show much at the NHL level. It could reduce the AAV of that 8 year deal by a few million.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
The future is now I guess 😂 I know not every pick is going to be a star but even if a 3rd of them do the sharks future is looking good, hopefully Griers trading and UFA acumen catches up to his draft prowess

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Kind of. Really it is just to make sure he is signed. If he plays in the OHL, his contract slides. But this is just confirmation that he signed and now can't pull any shenanigans down the road. (and the Sharks can't pull any shenanigans by refusing to sign him).

This is really a formality more than anything. Musty signed his ELC not long after being drafted and he's likely back to the OHL this season too.
Musty signed October 4, 2023. Which is not terribly long, but not as early as Dickinson signing in July.

For a second, I thought it might be the beginning of "elsewhere."

This ohl ahl rule needs to be overturned for first round picks
The reason the rule exists is so the Canadian junior leagues have intriguing enough talent for people to want to come watch. Plus it means that when your prospects go to play there, they'll be playing against higher caliber talent.

Even if Dickinson could play in the AHL this year, I don't think that's the right spot for him. He needs a full year in junior as a #1 defenseman with full responsibilities and expectations.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Can we safely assume that Erik Karlsson trade net us Sam Dickson now? I know some stats nerds will nitpick it to death and say but we threw in a pick and moved up so it not a true 1 for 1.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I forsee Dickinson being an early cut in training camp, his processing and reaction time was a step behind even other players in the prospect scrimmage

I doubt he gets any NHL games, that tryout probably comes next year, the hope this season is that Oliver Bonk makes the Flyers out of camp and Dickinson gets to be the #1D for London and dominates on a great team
It was also basically first time on the ice in a couple months. Anyone that draws any kind of conclusions from 1 meaningless game and not even a game played at regular rules is overthinking this. Just by being the 11th pick dickson will be staying in san jose to the end of camp.

anthonyyy

Aug 11, 2011
I feel like a player at Dickinson's current development level would really benefit from going back to juniors. I think defensemen that need to develop more poise with the puck and offensive awareness from the back end need more reps and confident reps. If you rush these types of players, they'll turn into guys (not gonna single anyone out) that get into a good position on the ice but absolutely don't know what to do with the puck once they get there. We saw this a few times with Dickinson at the prospect scrimmage; he's such a good skater that he "outskates" his hands and brain and just malfunctions and gives the puck up.

Get the dude some good coaching and he has all the physical tools to be very good. Stunt his growth offensively and he'll look like Vlasic on offense. I really hope he figures it out offensively and gets really mean on defense, I can see him being Pronger-esque.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad