Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I think the roster you saw today is the roster we're starting the season with.

Though they can't waive too many people right now because they still need to have enough guys to ice a roster for 3 different games this coming week.

If they really wanted to, I'm sure they can call up anybody on the training camp roster between now and Friday and get them to Europe, if they were needed.

They can still waive the guys whenever, and keep them up through the week if they clear. They may be worried that if guys get claimed by another team that it's one less body(ies) they have available to dress for their games this week.
The scuttlebutt this morning was that Foote was only out there because Palat had the morning off for a personal reason and would make the trip.

I know about the reason to hold off for the preseason games, but once they pass the Devils have to be cut down to 23. Decisions have to be made on the PTOs. They can't have told them already what that situation is because why would a guy who already knows he's released want to hang around and risk injury when his agent can go fishing for another landing spot.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Is there an actual list of the guys leaving NJ on the plane differing from the exact guys on the ice this morning?

e.g. Palat will go, but was not on the ice. Does that mean Foote is left behind?

Don't tell me they took White. That makes no sense. Neither does DeSimone when Misyul is better. Leaving better players behind to play senseless preseason games they have little chance in anyways is also dumb. Out of the 3 D listed here Misyul is the better guy moving forward.

Will this be like the playoffs when non roster players are along in case of injury to be added to the roster?

The extras like White and Bowers have very, very little chance of playing. They're both veteran guys with NHL experience. White is 27 and Bowers is 25 - you more or less know what you're getting with these guys, plus Bowers is a center which is helpful to have an extra of in Prague.

Devils still have 3 preseason games against teams that will be icing close to their full NHL lineups. Guys like Misyul are probably better served getting key playing time in these games versus being a healthy scratch in Prague.

Are they able to have a taxi squad in case there is some problems abroad?
Yes.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I'm fairly sure these games in Prague are treated differently and the Devils and Sabres, like the rest of the league, don't have to submit their final opening roster until 5pm on October 7th.

For these two games, they're able to bring 26 or 27 players and don't have to do final cuts.
Ah. They have until, the 7th for that final cut with the 26 or 27 in Prague, but don't the rest of the players have to be dealt with by opening day?

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The scuttlebutt this morning was that Foote was only out there because Palat had the morning off for a personal reason and would make the trip.

I know about the reason to hold off for the preseason games, but once they pass the Devils have to be cut down to 23. Decisions have to be made on the PTOs. They can't have told them already what that situation is because why would a guy who already knows he's released want to hang around and risk injury when his agent can go fishing for another landing spot.
Guys can stay on PTO’s I think the entire year? Or at least well into December it’s happened. I know we’re going back to the Lou years, but I remember Abelin after the lockout staying on PTO pretty long before finally being signed in December. I think the same thing happened with Scott Gomez in 2014.

It’s possible we sign Labanc after the two games in Europe.

Zboril is almost assuredly a Utica PTO, much like Wotherspoon a few years ago when he got a Devils camp invite on a PTO. I’m not saying Zboril is a lock for an AHL contract, he may get nothing from us. But he was always going to be for the AHL. He’s played a combined 76 games in the NHL over the last 5 seasons.

Reactions: My3Sons

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Guys can stay on PTO’s I think the entire year? Or at least well into December it’s happened. I know we’re going back to the Lou years, but I remember Abelin after the lockout staying on PTO pretty long before finally being signed in December. I think the same thing happened with Scott Gomez in 2014.

Zboril is almost assuredly a Utica PTO, much like Wotherspoon a few years ago when he got a Devils camp invite on a PTO. I’m not saying Zboril is a lock for an AHL contract, he may get nothing from us. But he was always going to be for the AHL. He’s played a combined 76 games in the NHL over the last 5 seasons.
And not well.

Reactions: Bleedred

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

With Hatakka likely going down when he’s healthy I don’t even want Zboril. You’ve already got Miysul, Vilen, and White on the left side. Then Hatakka to that. I feel like Zboril’s better off going elsewhere too even for his own career where he won’t have as much competition.

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Ah. They have until, the 7th for that final cut with the 26 or 27 in Prague, but don't the rest of the players have to be dealt with by opening day?

Not sure exactly what you mean regarding the rest of the players being dealt with.

As Bleedred mentioned, PTO guys don't have any timeline associated with them.

Wish one of the Devils reporters would've explained how the roster works with these games versus us trying to figure it out.

We know they can carry 26 or 27 guys, like a taxi squad for the Prague games. Not sure if that means that they have to slim the official roster down by that point, but guessing that is probably the case. Which means we probably at least see guys that need to clear waivers but are not going to Prague get put on waivers Thursday, even if they're playing in the pre-season game versus Philly that night. That would allow NJ to get the Prague roster compliant before that game. Then after Saturday's game, they can evaluate where they stand injury-wise and put more guys on waivers (if necessary) on Sunday in order to finalize the 23-man roster on Monday.

Given the injuries to Luke, Pesce & Hatakka and an already tight amount of cap space, I am expecting the team to start the season on LTIR. Those 3 guys being injured would put us a little under $1.6M over the cap. Was thinking there might be some cap shenanigans with the opening night roster if we are utilizing LTIR to maximize space, but there's not much flexibility with guys that can be sent down on paper without requiring waivers. It's really only Nemec and Casey - maybe you see something like Nemec and his $918,333 cap hit not on the final roster in favor of Diotte & his $950K cap hit, though I'm not sure how Nemec's bonuses impact the opening night roster/LTIR so maybe not. Casey has a $950K hit so he doesn't seem like someone that would not make the opening roster as a paper move.

Once Pesce is ready to play we'd be able to get out of LTIR and start accumulating cap space for the deadline...

...I think...

Reactions: My3Sons

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Not sure exactly what you mean regarding the rest of the players being dealt with.

As Bleedred mentioned, PTO guys don't have any timeline associated with them.

Wish one of the Devils reporters would've explained how the roster works with these games versus us trying to figure it out.

We know they can carry 26 or 27 guys, like a taxi squad for the Prague games. Not sure if that means that they have to slim the official roster down by that point, but guessing that is probably the case. Which means we probably at least see guys that need to clear waivers but are not going to Prague get put on waivers Thursday, even if they're playing in the pre-season game versus Philly that night. That would allow NJ to get the Prague roster compliant before that game. Then after Saturday's game, they can evaluate where they stand injury-wise and put more guys on waivers (if necessary) on Sunday in order to finalize the 23-man roster on Monday.

Given the injuries to Luke, Pesce & Hatakka and an already tight amount of cap space, I am expecting the team to start the season on LTIR. Those 3 guys being injured would put us a little under $1.6M over the cap. Was thinking there might be some cap shenanigans with the opening night roster if we are utilizing LTIR to maximize space, but there's not much flexibility with guys that can be sent down on paper without requiring waivers. It's really only Nemec and Casey - maybe you see something like Nemec and his $918,333 cap hit not on the final roster in favor of Diotte & his $950K cap hit, though I'm not sure how Nemec's bonuses impact the opening night roster/LTIR so maybe not. Casey has a $950K hit so he doesn't seem like someone that would not make the opening roster as a paper move.

Once Pesce is ready to play we'd be able to get out of LTIR and start accumulating cap space for the deadline...

...I think...
All the rest of the players still in NJ. As of OCT. 1, they will have to be reassigned. Any waiver eligible players will be waived to be reassigned, yes?

What happens to the PTOs has been covered. However, for e.g Lebanc can't sit in limbo. He's not part of the Prague group, so where does he go? He can't go down to Utica as he would have to be waived and I have never seen a NHL PTO assigned to an AHL club without a contract. It would be would be the same case with Zyboril as well.

Utica's camp opens and the players have to be reassigned. That's not going to happen from Prague. I simply asked has that issue already been dealt with.

There are guys that NJ will have to get rid of OCT 10 that are in Prague. I believe most need to clear waivers, but I haven't looked to see exactly who they are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad