Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
People here can harp all they like about Jack and Nico, everyone can make valid points. Health, leadership, maturity. It's all valid.

I'm sweating bullets about the goaltending. I'm really concerned tbh. Quite frankly, if Markstrom and Allen explode, I can't see Fitz keeping his job.
The goaltending department needed to be overthrown as well. Insurrection style if you had to.

It’s like we gave the goaltending a complete facelift, yet kept the same goalie coach, as well as the other tools. I guess asking to get rid of them was probably too much to ask for, but I don’t think asking for a change at goalie coach was too much to ask for. Not when we’ve fired two assistants and one head coach from the original Ruff staff that was put together in the 2020 off-season, which he’s part of. Especially not when his area of expertise has been the most suspect.

Reactions: My3Sons

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
The goaltending department needed to be overthrown as well. Insurrection style if you had to.

It’s like we gave the goaltending a complete facelift, yet kept the same goalie coach, as well as the other tools. I guess asking to get rid of them was probably too much to ask for, but I don’t think asking for a change at goalie coach was too much to ask for. Not when we’ve fired two assistants and one head coach from the original Ruff staff that was put together in the 2020 off-season, which he’s part of. Especially not when his area of expertise has been the most suspect.
What you say makes logical sense, but I’m skeptical that a goalie coach can make an established veteran play materially worse.

Goalie coaches can have influence. Quick had a resurgence in NY. But I don’t see a veteran changing their style and sticking with it if it doesn’t work.

More likely to me is that two 34 year old goalies could underperform all on their own.

Imo, that still makes the case that Rogalski isn’t adding much value. Just not sure how much value he’s actively destroying.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I'm not saying you were wrong about your general point, just that you picked an example where in fact McDavid in particular has leveled up further.

You're pointing out that other players are scoring more - but how much of that is McDavid creating opportunity either directly or indirectly? McDavid was 1.49 ppg in 2018-2019. Since then he's at 1.7 ppg (with 100 assists in 23-24, 37 more than 18-19).

I guess I'm picking this somewhat pedantic argument because I personally feel that Nico and Jack do need to lead this team. It is a team sport, and I agree with your general point that one or two individuals can only take you so far, but I don't think that absolves star players from needing to be the drivers of the improvement.

A team with Jack, Nico, Bratt, Meier, Dougie, Pesce should make the playoffs. The rest of the team could be replacement players (they clearly aren't), and I'd still think they should be in the playoffs.

What power play do you think is better? In 2018-19, the leaders in PP time on the Oilers in descending order were Draisaitl, McDavid, RNH, Chiasson, Klefbom, Nurse, and Lucic. Those are the players with 100+ minutes, Lucic with just over 100. In 2023-24, they were Bouchard, Draisaitl, RNH, Hyman, McDavid, Kane, and Kane barely got 100 minutes. So, no, I don't really think McDavid and Draisaitl 'leveled up' - they might've gotten better, but what's plainly obvious is that they have much, much better players around them. That PP1 is so much better with a great point man like Evan Bouchard than a guy forced into the role like Nurse or Klefbom, or a legit net-front star in Zach Hyman than a 3rd line guy with some hands around the net like Chiasson.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Going with Casey-Nemec really gives me hope they’ll go with the Luke-Nemec pair. Hopefully Luke and Nemec aren’t both hampered by their injuries and suck when they do go with it and it sours them on the idea

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What you say makes logical sense, but I’m skeptical that a goalie coach can make an established veteran play materially worse.

Goalie coaches can have influence. Quick had a resurgence in NY. But I don’t see a veteran changing their style and sticking with it if it doesn’t work.

More likely to me is that two 34 year old goalies could underperform all on their own.

Imo, that still makes the case that Rogalski isn’t adding much value. Just not sure how much value he’s actively destroying.
They could underperform all on their own. Allen has underperformed for much of his career anyway, but I still think he’s fine at $1.9 million. The entire cap hit would have sucked for whoever had him.

But the fact that the goalies here continue to underperform (I don’t blame all of them on him, Gillies is shit, Blackwood wasn’t good before the NHL and Vitek seemed to have a mental breakdown last year) and we keep getting new goalies, we keep firing coaches, we gave a complete facelift to the position at the trade deadline, other than the puppets back there that pull the strings.

We haven’t fired him yet. He gets to keep his job, there’s no accountability with him.

And if there was any way to preserve a couple of 34 year old goalies or better navigate them to success in their elder years, I don’t think Rogalski has any ideas how to do it.

And to end this, we fired a much better goalie coach, who got now fewer years than Rogalski has gotten, who Blackwood was actually playing well under, at least at the NHL level. While I really don’t want Melanson back, can’t we fire this guy now?

Having a good goalie coach matters. Rogalski has shown to maybe be a good guy to have on your goalie development team, but not as your main goalie coach.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Get White outta here and give Misyul a shot.
While I’d like to see this, I think White will start the season here and Misyul won’t. That was easy to see coming.

White seems to get NHL games every year, even in the time between his tenure here. I personally think he sucks and would rather see someone younger given that spot, but I don’t think that’s happening.

But that said, it doesn’t look like White is going to play opening night or probably even game two, nor Misyul if you had him in that spot instead. He’s on the fourth pairing.

Unless we lose a couple of more guys between now and Friday.

Misyul will go to the AHL and actually play games, while White will most likely be upstairs dressed in a suit with the NHL team. At least for now.

Reactions: My3Sons and JK3

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Halonen or Labanc over Foote too. Should be both with the bum banished too but that’s not happening
I can’t believe they’re actually starting Foote on the roster this season. And in the top-9.

Maybe they just don’t wanna waive him? I don’t know. I’m more annoyed about that than White over Misyul, because White isn’t even gonna play as of right now.

Foote could have been a third line guy, but it feels like he’s at the age where he’s gonna be somewhere else (like Boqvist) if he doesn’t start showing something here and staying healthy.

I have no belief at all in Halonen, but I thought Labanc could be an underrated piece and for cheap. I hope they’re not dropping him from his PTO. Maybe they need so many vets to play the remaining preseason games over here and he’s part of that?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I can’t believe they’re actually starting Foote on the roster this season. And in the top-9.

Maybe they just don’t wanna waive him? I don’t know. I’m more annoyed about that than White over Misyul, because White isn’t even gonna play as of right now.

Foote could have been a third line guy, but it feels like he’s at the age where he’s gonna be somewhere else (like Boqvist) if he doesn’t start showing something here and staying healthy.

I imagine Palat just had the day off and Foote’s not going to play either but the guy sucks. Halonen or Labanc may not be anything either but they both showed more. Fitz letting his size boner get in the way again. Boqvist did show something. He was a useful bottom 6er with the versatility to play center or wing and they still let him go (probably cause again size boner). He’s a guy we could’ve really used last year and could REALLY use right now. Both Suter and Boqvist should’ve been Devils last year. Fitz let the forward and center depth go to shit in record speed.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don’t we kind of need to take another goalie just in case?

There’s still plenty of time between now and the game on Friday to get another guy over, but we could be down to some EBUG if something were to happen late in the week or by game time.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Don’t we kind of need to take another goalie just in case?

There’s still plenty of time between now and the game on Friday to get another guy over, but we could be down to some EBUG if something were to happen late in the week or by game time.
Amanda said Daws practiced earlier and will probably be going with Allen and Markstrom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad