Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Small sample size but still.
He was more than very good in his game. It was very visible on the ice. Mobile, smart, fast enough, good on the blue line, positive and helpful in d zone.

But not so popular with his status. So it will block better player from the roster. I hope both Misyul and Casey will start in the roster at least as parts of 11-7 system, but I have a feeling we will not see both in the starting roster.

View attachment 910602
View attachment 910603
View attachment 910604
I liked Misyul’s play. He looked good to my eyes. I’d let him open as the LD3. I’d keep Casey as the extra defender for the moment and if Nemec struggles I’d have him play some games for Nemec and see how it goes.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Hey Devils fans, Blues fan here coming in peace. I got my fantasy draft coming up tomorrow and was going through my rankings and yahoo has Hamilton listed as "not active." I know he's coming off injury, is he going to be ready for the start of season? Any insight would be appreciated. Good luck this season!

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Hey Devils fans, Blues fan here coming in peace. I got my fantasy draft coming up tomorrow and was going through my rankings and yahoo has Hamilton listed as "not active." I know he's coming off injury, is he going to be ready for the start of season? Any insight would be appreciated. Good luck this season!

Yep he’s good to go and will be QB’ing PP1

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
When you're the captain and #1 overall pick of a team with high expectations like this, you need to do more than be adequate on the ice. I am holding him to a higher standard. Again, its preseason so there's no nail in the coffin for me yet, but I'm holding both the hammer and the nail.

Referring to Hischier as "adequate" immediately casts suspicion on any claims in the rest of your post.

Few players in the NHL are as strong in all three zones. Far from just adequate.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Yeah I’m not even really sure he kept the Devils in NJ…he did preside over the Rock being built and put him in the Newark Sports HOF for that but as a Devils fan, dude was just cursed at best and possibly incompetent. The two biggest memories of the VBK tenure are the Kovalchuk contract mess and the financial issues his last couple years. Harris and Blitzer have owned the team now about as long as VBK did.

Thanks for the reminder. A long way from the McMullen days.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Leaders in shots the last ~100 games of Devils hockey;

Jack Hughes
Jesper Bratt
Timo Meier

Naturally, you put them all on the same line - duh

Excited that were letting analytics run the team instead of our new coach... woohoo!

Hopefully just a training camp experiment. One game and it was apparent Nico and Jesper should stay together - possibly with Meier. Although with Jack on the wing that could be similar to the Bergeron line the Bruins had two years ago.

But it's probably a necessity that both Hughes and Hischier play center.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Always wondered, are you sons into hockey/Devils as much as you?
No. They are very casual fans. If something Devils related bubbles up into the general sports environment they will notice. My oldest lives in a building with a buddy who is a Devils fan so he will will watch some games and go to see them when they play the Caps (they live near DC) but he didn’t grow up with hockey in his environment outside me watching it or play it. My youngest is a bit more of a fan. As a group they are primarily NFL fans. Then NBA then Devils. It’s proof that nurture only goes so far.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
I mean look, if you feel this way thats fine, but at least you laid it out here. I don't agree with you, but its whatever. We literally could have had the exact same roster last year and if we had a competent goalie, we probably would have made the playoffs. Is that good enough? No, it isn't. But the point remains.

Not "I AM READY TO CANCEL THEM!" That isn't deep discussion.

No it isn't. Not with the roster building this organization has done. 2 first overalls, and a bunch of other high picks, high profiles signings, and the general rhetoric has been this team has top of line talent. They need to win or at the very least show good process.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
No. They are very casual fans. If something Devils related bubbles up into the general sports environment they will notice. My oldest lives in a building with a buddy who is a Devils fan so he will will watch some games and go to see them when they play the Caps (they live near DC) but he didn’t grow up with hockey in his environment outside me watching it or play it. My youngest is a bit more of a fan. As a group they are primarily NFL fans. Then NBA then Devils. It’s proof that nurture only goes so far.
Gotcha, yea was thinking it would be a funny situation if he had this friend over and you were very interested or excited about his buddy playing with Casey and asking him about it while your son is sitting there kinda annoyed. "Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad"

Reactions: My3Sons

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
Referring to Hischier as "adequate" immediately casts suspicion on any claims in the rest of your post.

Few players in the NHL are as strong in all three zones. Far from just adequate.

He was subpar defensively last year and I'm not seeing some Bergeron out there when he plays. I don't want to knock the guy too much because I do like him and he seems like a good guy and maybe i was bit harsh with the word adequate but he's not this amazing all around player quite yet. And frankly, its frustrating to see for example: him have that dominant shift he had against Dallas a couple years ago or that game against the islanders in '23 and know its in there.

But frankly watching guys like Mackinnon get on his teammates like Stalin off the ice for not training or eating right, hearing about Dahlin's players only gatherings over the summer. I'm starting to wonder what are Nico's leadership qualities besides just putting his head down and "playing the right way".

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
I think that pointing the finger at the team’s best players for the lack of success is misplaced blame. You’re entitled to your opinion, but realistically, Jack should have been shut down to just have the surgery he ended up having at the end of the season earlier. I get it, it’s hockey mentality to play through things but it lead to him deferring to the poor decision making that you’re referring to. Jack is an incredible talent, but it’s imperative he stays healthy this year. If he suffers another significant injury this year, we don’t have the depth down the middle to really withstand it for a lengthy period of time.

I’m a self-admitted Nico defender, so I’ll definitely take the full stance there. I don’t think it’s fair to put the failures of prior teams he’s been a part of solely on his shoulders for wearing the C while also diminishing the success of 22-23. If there is one player I would identify that leads by example and busts his ass each and every night, it’s him. I have no questions about his leadership, he’s absolutely the guy of this core group that should wear that letter.

If your point is that our team will ultimately live and die by their production, I’d argue that Bratt and Meier are also of importance. But past teams have had their share of flaws and issues that exacerbated the problems (lack of structure, lack of goaltending, stockpile of injuries last year). If our most important players can stay healthy, I’d be surprised if we don’t return to the postseason.

Talent, sure. But I am god damn tired of the injuries and and I am damn tired of the "I can do it all" plays that end up in turnovers. The people pay to see me play comment rubbed me in a very very wrong way. I don't like his attitude in interviews and I don't like the treatment he got from Lindy. Remains to be seen how Sheldon will handle him. If he stays healthy, and plays with connectivity and cohesion while still putting up the points. He'll have earned all my respect and admiration.

Reactions: Patrik26

My3Sons

Sponsor
Gotcha, yea was thinking it would be a funny situation if he had this friend over and you were very interested or excited about his buddy playing with Casey and asking him about it while your son is sitting there kinda annoyed. "Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad"
He has a few Fraternity brothers that have played with it against some high profile kids currently 19-20. Another one was on a team with Snuggerud and one played with an against another USNDT player. Surprising to see that at an SEC school but here we are.

Edit: beyond that of course I annoy my kids. It’s unavoidable.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I liked Misyul’s play. He looked good to my eyes. I’d let him open as the LD3. I’d keep Casey as the extra defender for the moment and if Nemec struggles I’d have him play some games for Nemec and see how it goes.
Casey, Misyul or not, I hope Keefe will make decisions in favor to the best players. We can't live with "more proven" or "higher ranked" players. This team needs win, they need to grow their predator instincts, and they should use better players in the roster. Who is better now. Im a big fan of Nemec, but if Nemec isn't ready now for some reason - they should give him some time on the bench or even in AHL, they should not force Luke to play in the roster etc.
If Casey is ready - he should play. If Zboril looks bad, it doesn't matter that he has more NHL experience than Misyul.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Hope theyre prepared for the season - slow starts happen but they arent a requirement, and theyve had all training camp with Keefe

Show heart and play to the system; the skill will shine through if the fit works

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
That first part is the thing that worries me with him long term. I don't want him to become that superstar that is constantly injured. Although I guess Crosby had that stretch of 3 years where he was always injured and then rattled off like 6 straight years of 75+ games played, so hopefully Jack is due for a stretch of good health here.
The injury concerns are fair and valid. I do question if he'll ever live up the full potential we all see or if injuries will derail his career in the grand scheme.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Meier with Hughes has never really worked. I’m ok with it being tried out again though. I do feel Timo and Nico finally started to display some great chemistry late in the last few months last season. Why separate them!? My theory is that Keefe has done his homework and knows Tatar played really well with Nico. I firmly believe Tatar is a bad fit with Hughes. Can Tatar be effective with Haula and Noesen or Mercer? I don’t like the looks of that at all.

For argument’s sake, let’s say Keefe did put together Tatar with Nico and Timo. You have two RW in Bratt and Mercer that wouldn’t work on a line with Hughes. I suppose you could put Palat (I can hear the groans from you guys and I get it) with Hughes and Bratt.

Getting the pieces of the puzzle to fit is not always so easy. I’m sure there will be plenty of trial and error but am highly confident Keefe will figure it out.

Last edited:

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Why not try Meier with Hughes now? At the end of the day, you really have two options, with Hughes or Nico. Need to have both as options because you will have to change lines up during the season.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
People here can harp all they like about Jack and Nico, everyone can make valid points. Health, leadership, maturity. It's all valid.

I'm sweating bullets about the goaltending. I'm really concerned tbh. Quite frankly, if Markstrom and Allen explode, I can't see Fitz keeping his job.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Apparently one of my youngest son’s fraternity brothers played hockey pre-Michigan with Seamus Casey. Said he’s a very nice kid and very dedicated. I was glad to hear that. He’s another easy kid to root for.

So, we’ll be arguing about whether he got robbed on his bridge deal in a few years? Wonderful. :sarcasm:

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
People here can harp all they like about Jack and Nico, everyone can make valid points. Health, leadership, maturity. It's all valid.

I'm sweating bullets about the goaltending. I'm really concerned tbh. Quite frankly, if Markstrom and Allen explode, I can't see Fitz keeping his job.
I can understand it. I’m pretty confident in our tandem though. It’s the best we’ve had in years and I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Markstrom so far. Allen played well last season and he’s a perfectly fine backup imo. Now, can the goaltending let us down again? Absolutely lol. But I’m pretty confident we’ll have at least average goaltending. I hope the defence in front of our goalies is also more structured and less “pond hockey-ish”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad