Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I don't think it will be Pando. I think he can end up there eventually depending on how many players they feel they want to induct there.

It will be interesting to see how they flesh it out. Will they focus more on team or individual accolades? If it's me, I'd induct the coaches next. Sarge was the last of that group of 5 to win all 3, and deserved his night of proper recognition. If Lou insists that he won't be honored until he's out of the game, I'd direct it towards the coaches next. Lemaire first, then Larry and then eventually Burns.

If I'm doing another player next, I think John MacLean is overdue for some Devils recognition but he's on Lou's payroll so he may not be allowed. :laugh: Besides him, I think a guy like Holik should be recognized as well.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Jay won 2 Cups here, 3 trips to the finals, helped raise numerous division banners. Played 819 games here and was one of our best penalty killers ever. The ring of honor stuff is exactly for players like Jay, really great players for us but just not the level of a number retirement. I would love to see it one day.

Pando? Woof that’s some weak sauce of a choice. If they are going to make this a yearly thing they shouldn’t just do players every year they should mix it up

Btw how many rings are there in the arena for this?

I can honestly now that I think about it seeing Bruce driver being a choice seeing all the work he still does with the team. Not saying that’s a good choice but wouldn’t put it past them.

Even more out there but more deserving then pando at the moment? Matty he’s been with this team since what? 93?

In fact now more I think about it I can see it being Matt he’s the only long time member of the broadcast team that hasn’t had a night deserving or not I dunno

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
There aren’t many players honestly after brylin imo that deserve to be in a ring of honor. Sure some really good players but ring worthy? I don’t think so and that’s ok there’s no need to make this a yearly thing

Bonus question if the ring existed when dano retired do they still retire his jersey or put him in the ring?

Reactions: Nubmer6

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Colin White, John Madden, Jay Pandolfo, John MacLean, Jamie Langenbrunner, Petr Sykora and maaaaybe Scott Gomez.

These players would be on my list of considerations, but it would be over the long term. Not a yearly thing.

Non-playing staff it's obviously Doc, Chico, Larry, Lou, Lemaire and maaaaybe Pat Burns post humous.

Again, very long term.

There aren’t many players honestly after brylin imo that deserve to be in a ring of honor. Sure some really good players but ring worthy? I don’t think so and that’s ok there’s no need to make this a yearly thing

Bonus question if the ring existed when dano retired do they still retire his jersey or put him in the ring?

Retirement worthy. Won't go into why, but how can you even question Mr Devil?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Colin White, John Madden, Jay Pandolfo, John MacLean, Jamie Langenbrunner, Petr Sykora and maaaaybe Scott Gomez.

These players would be on my list of considerations, but it would be over the long term. Not a yearly thing.

Non-playing staff it's obviously Doc, Chico, Larry, Lou, Lemaire and maaaaybe Pat Burns post humous.

Again, very long term.

I think that's a fair list. But I also then wonder where they'll take individual accolades into consideration like Greene and Zajac. Never won a Cup, so does that exclude them? Probably. But they were virtualy lifelong Devils who still hold a ton of regard with the organization.

I'm with you that it shouldn't be a yearly thing. I'd also like to see Rafalski be a part of it, but that's probably my bias showing. :laugh:

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Pandolfo absolutely does not deserve to be in a ring of honor lol

Seems rather harsh if it's a celebration of that era, the most successful of this franchise, when they were at the absolute peak of their powers.

Pandolfo was a good player. A winner and a quiet leader.

There's no need to get too serious about the honour. It's a celebration.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Like I said, I can think of about 15 people ahead of Pandolfo in the ring of honor pecking order.

Not all of them are players. But I also never considered the guys who haven’t been out of the game for very long. Like Zajac and Greene.

Reactions: My3Sons

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I think that's a fair list. But I also then wonder where they'll take individual accolades into consideration like Greene and Zajac. Never won a Cup, so does that exclude them? Probably. But they were virtualy lifelong Devils who still hold a ton of regard with the organization.

I'm with you that it shouldn't be a yearly thing. I'd also like to see Rafalski be a part of it, but that's probably my bias showing. :laugh:

Yeah sure, they deserve acknowledgement. You can look at them in like 15 years+.

They need to get a move on with some of these geezers though lol.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

Again, very long term.

I agree with dano being retired now with his body of post hockey work with the team. But if the ring was around back then and he retired? I mean number retirements are for me at least saved for the elite hof caliber players. Dano is always a fan favorite but he wasn’t elite or hof worthy

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
No offense but I can think of like 15 people who should go up there before Pandolfo.

No shot he deserves it, and I have nothing against the guy.
Madden being one of them…him, Langs and John MacClean are easy ones for players (not necessarily in that order). Hell I’d put Zajac and Greene up there before Pando and I loved the guy but he was a one dimensional niche player. And that’s just counting players - clearly Lou, Lemaire, Doc and Chico from management/announcers

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Like I said, I can think of about 15 people ahead of Pandolfo in the ring of honor pecking order.

Not all of them are players. But I also never considered the guys who haven’t been out of the game for very long. Like Zajac and Greene.
Well I count as three people so you really mean 12 ahead of Pando

• Haha
Reactions: Bleedred

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
If there is a connection to the opponent, maybe Rolston?

Actually Pandolfo has a connection here too since he's
Pando? Woof that’s some weak sauce of a choice. If they are going to make this a yearly thing they shouldn’t just do players every year they should mix it up

Btw how many rings are there in the arena for this?

I can honestly now that I think about it seeing Bruce driver being a choice seeing all the work he still does with the team. Not saying that’s a good choice but wouldn’t put it past them.

Even more out there but more deserving then pando at the moment? Matty he’s been with this team since what? 93?

In fact now more I think about it I can see it being Matt he’s the only long time member of the broadcast team that hasn’t had a night deserving or not I dunno

I didn't say it was gonna be Pando this year I was referring to Bleeds post about Pando. Pando definitely deserves it at some point.

It's not actual rings, McMullen has a larger image and Brylins is smaller with a number/name logo. If they keep them all the same size there's enough room for 20 something of them since they are at the back of the upper sections. Could do even more if they eventually put them downstairs too.

newark-new-jersey-the-new-jersey-devils-announce-the-induction-of-sergei-brylin-into-the.jpg

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
"General manager Patrik Allvin says in a release that Clark “can no longer go on the ice regularly to do the things that have made him successful.”

Is what I found from articles googling Ian Clark.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You ask me, they should have a Doc AND Chico night. Induct them in together.
Part of me would be fine with that but really Chico deserves his own night, especially since Doc has already had a couple solo, plus he was a player in the early days who’s been a good ambassador for the club from then on.

Reactions: Darkauron

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad